1st encap today | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

1st encap today

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Should a 175 be that hard to move? Broke a serious sweat doing a 10x10 area... I know it weights 2x the 360i but it seemed super heavy...
Should be easy to use a 175. It may take getting the handle set at the right height and then some practice. Enough product on the carpet to provide lubrication is also important.

The only hard part should be loading and unloading a heavy machine.

A1CS

Feb 24, 2012
South Dakota
www.A-1CarpetService.com
Real Name
Harold Pastian
Business Location
United States
A1CS,
Yes, I used a 175 machine to encap residential carpet. Is that wrong? If so, please let me know as well as Interlink Supply, JonDon and Excellent Supply. All of them told me I could use one plus tried to sell me one to do it. I know theres better equipment for it, like an crb, Cimex or an orbitor.

Pretty sad day in the industry when suppliers are dictating cleaning methods. You obviously know better than to use a floor scrubber on residential carpet or you wouldn't have asked a supplier. Go with your gut it's usually right.

bob519

Oct 28, 2011
Canada
Real Name
bob
Business Location
Canada
The Cimex is out for residential its just too heavy . crb or orbital

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TMF Forums mobile app

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Pretty sad day in the industry when suppliers are dictating cleaning methods. You obviously know better than to use a floor scrubber on residential carpet or you wouldn't have asked a supplier. Go with your gut it's usually right.
Man you are always talking about this warranty crap. Do you really believe that a manufacturer would honor a warranty on a carpet that needs to be cleaned with a 175? Heck no. When have you ever heard of a carpet manufacturer honoring one of these crazy warrantees that they claim to stand behind. Shaw offers a lifetime warranty on pet urine stains?? What does that even mean?

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
There is always a loop hole for manufacturers to get out of it.

I use a OP machine, rotary, or ETM for Any carpet. Period. Depends on the situation.

I was a carpet/flooring installer before I got into the cleaning side of things and have never ever heard of a mill honoring or even mentioning a warranty as far as cleaning.

Manufacturer defects are another story, and they will still try to blame the installers lol.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
There is always a loop hole for manufacturers to get out of it.

I use a OP machine, rotary, or ETM for Any carpet. Period. Depends on the situation.

I was a carpet/flooring installer before I got into the cleaning side of things and have never ever heard of a mill honoring or even mentioning a warranty as far as cleaning.

Manufacturer defects are another story, and they will still try to blame the installers lol.
Agree 100%

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Personally, I would not use a CRB as a stand alone on residential. You're not pulling any dirt out of the carpet. Near zero absorption. As a prep tool, it's fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool machine. But it's sole purpose in my opinion is to remove gunk out of the carpet. Once the crap is out you're ready to clean. Makes padding that much better.

I have not touched my 175 since getting my CRB. It is so much lighter and you can control it with 2 fingers. IT does a good job on Encap as well as prescrub and pre vac. We all can't be so lucy to have a CRB but if the opportunity comes up, it is a must have to put in your van.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Man you are always talking about this warranty crap. Do you really believe that a manufacturer would honor a warranty on a carpet that needs to be cleaned with a 175? Heck no. When have you ever heard of a carpet manufacturer honoring one of these crazy warrantees that they claim to stand behind. Shaw offers a lifetime warranty on pet urine stains?? What does that even mean?
The only manufacturer I know that will stand behind their warranty with no bull crap is Amtex Equipment.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Personally, I would not use a CRB as a stand alone on residential. You're not pulling any dirt out of the carpet. Near zero absorption. As a prep tool, it's fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool machine. But it's sole purpose in my opinion is to remove gunk out of the carpet. Once the crap is out you're ready to clean. Makes padding that much better.
I use my CRB on every job as a per-scrubber. Works great. I did have to use it the other day as an Encap machine on a call-back I got. I had cleaned the carpets previously using HWE and the stains wicked back. So on the Call back I encapsulated the stains and all was well.

Reactions: Ryankettering

encapman

Jul 3, 2006
St Petersburg, FL
www.excellent-supply.com
Real Name
Rick Gelinas
Business Location
United States
Should be easy to use a 175. It may take getting the handle set at the right height and then some practice. Enough product on the carpet to provide lubrication is also important.

The only hard part should be loading and unloading a heavy machine.
I agree with what Scott said 100%.

Rotary machines are quite handy! A Cimex can accomplish greater feats it's true; but sometimes you don't need to leap over tall buildings in a single bound.

Rick Gelinas - The Encapman
www.Excellent-Supply.com / Releasit

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Yes, as a pre scrub it's great. As a vac accessory it's great.

And to your point, it's great at fixing problems.

My only point is that you don't want to use it as a stand alone cleaning system (Like Oxi Clean).

I use my CRB on every job as a per-scrubber. Works great. I did have to use it the other day as an Encap machine on a call-back I got. I had cleaned the carpets previously using HWE and the stains wicked back. So on the Call back I encapsulated the stains and all was well.

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
Real Name
Ray Thomas
so a 175 refers to any 175 rpm encapulation machine right? if so, are there any to not even waste my money on or it are they all fairly similar. I am hugely impressed with cimex cyclone but I feel like that is kind of the extreme. thanks for any insight!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
so a 175 refers to any 175 rpm encapulation machine right? if so, are there any to not even waste my money on or it are they all fairly similar. I am hugely impressed with cimex cyclone but I feel like that is kind of the extreme. thanks for any insight!
175 refers to any 175 RPM floor machine also called floor scrubber, buffer, swing machine and some other names. It is not specifically an encapsulation machine but an all purpose machine that can be used for encapsulation and many other things. Some brands are certainly more durable than others. I have seen Clark and Advanced machines that were in use after 40 years and a Mercury machine (what we call Versa Pro) that was in use for over 30 years. But most any brand will work well if properly cared for.

versapro.gif

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
Real Name
Ray Thomas
175 refers to any 175 RPM floor machine also called floor scrubber, buffer, swing machine and some other names. It is not specifically an encapsulation machine but an all purpose machine that can be used for encapsulation and many other things. Some brands are certainly more durable than others. I have seen Clark and Advanced machines that were in use after 40 years and a Mercury machine (what we call Versa Pro) that was in use for over 30 years. But most any brand will work well if properly cared for.

View attachment 37292
Wow, thanks that was very helpful!

Reactions: Scott W

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
Sorry, no before / after pics... I tried but the spots were to light to see on my phone.

I'm real interested in this method of cleaning. Thinking about a Low Boy with wheels. Want to do apartments and offices this fall and winter.
If you use your CRB in combination with a 175 you will get great results.

I use a 13 inch in residential. Easy to move, lift and maneuver in occupied homes.

Also in small offices with a lot of desks and cubicles, the 13 inch is great.

I have tried my 17 inch residential and found it to be too big.

I did a large church with the 17. The office manager then wanted me to do her trailer, which I did with the 13. She commented to me "I wasn't sure how you were going to use that big machine in my place", it would have been a nightmare with a large machine.

Been doing more LM and have been very happy with the results and so are customers.

Reactions: Scott W