2019 Hurricane Season - what's your plan? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

2019 Hurricane Season - what's your plan?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
As Dorian ramps up and casts his evil gaze upon the dangly bits down south, a lot of my local guys are already calling to find out if we've got drying equipment available... and I have to be the one to tell them that, at times like this, the BIG companies have already got the lion's share of the jobs (and hardware) and what's left is going to be slim pickings.

But it's also a great time to remind them that, as the large franchises move into position in the storm-damaged areas, this is the PERFECT time for small companies to service local customers who called the big franchises first and got no answer. Many of my smaller O/O restoration companies actually thrive when the big dogs run off to play.

So what do YOU do during storm season? Do you chase, or stay put?

And for that matter, you guys living and working down there in the dangly bits - are you prepared at home? Got enough bottled water, batteries, playing cards, etc?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Staying put, ive thought about chasing storms but like you said alot of the nationwide franchises have alot on lockdown. I have a lot of local work going on right now due to storms.

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Staying put, ive thought about chasing storms but like you said alot of the nationwide franchises have alot on lockdown. I have a lot of local work going on right now due to storms.
There’s a lot here away from any storms, just a matter of life going wrong creating work for us. We are slammed and it’s been the “slow” season

Reactions: SRD

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Recent fishing trip to the gulf with the kiddos, we had a storm come thru last week with 75 mph straight line winds had 20+ claims come in the day after staying busy as we need to be right here at home.
Nice I’ve got 5 currently and there’s only two of us! That’s a lot of recon

Reactions: SRD

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Recent fishing trip to the gulf with the kiddos, we had a storm come thru last week with 75 mph straight line winds had 20+ claims come in the day after staying busy as we need to be right here at home.
Heck of a trip you had! Lots of good eats.

We can't keep any of these old drum, just them dumping a pile of line on the first and second run is our reward. We have to make up for it back at the cabin.
FB_IMG_1567394481786.jpg

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
This is my plan for Dorian. Tank full of dolla bill menhaden, the Neuse river anchored on a ledge in 14'

View attachment 87098
I've counted 6 fishing rods. Did I missed one or two?
Are you ready to switch places?
Nothing compares to a cabin in the woods...
( minus mosquito bites)

Attachments

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
We fished 12 rods every drop.

Mama, it was kinda sporty out there. I was taking 50 gallons over the bow at a clip sometimes, but we had fun and it was never too dangerous lol

20190831_083926.jpg

Triple 46's

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
We fished 12 rods every drop.

Mama, it was kinda sporty out there. I was taking 50 gallons over the bow at a clip sometimes, but we had fun and it was never too dangerous lol

View attachment 87115
Triple 46's
I'll never forget trying to go marlin fishing off Cabo San Lucas back in the early 2000s.

Itty bitty boat and a big tropical storm coming in (this was while that Russian sub went down and they were struggling to bring them back up to no avail).

I was digging on the swells, which reminded me of nothing more than posting on a rough-trotting mule, and my ex was getting seasick as heck. I gave him unholy grief because he was in the Navy and he couldn't handle small craft bucking.

Had to turn back once he started vomiting over the side.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Had to do some research, lol, it was apparently either Hector or Ileana that was active at the time. Either way, it was fun til Poopyhead couldn't handle it. :sick:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
His excuse was, he was a submariner in a boomer so he wasn't used to swell.

I think it had more to do with half a dozen charro negros and a dozen or so Tecates the night before... but I may be mistaken.

Can't imagine what a good hard ride on my old QH Smokey would've done to his stomach. That beast had a gait that would knock flies off fresh poop. Backed beautifully, very well-behaved, but rough in the joints and splay-footed to boot. Poor guy wouldn't have lasted thirty seconds before he lost his lunch.

Reactions: Jim Davisson