99 E150 starter just keeps cranking | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

99 E150 starter just keeps cranking

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Turn the key, van starts right up but the starter just keeps turning. Turn the van off, remove the key, starter still cranking. I have to disconnect the battery (ground) to stop it. Seems to only happen if something has drawn from the battery without the engine running. Left my headlights on for a 3 - 4 minutes and the next time I started it, this problem happened. Set off my car alarm, just about 40 seconds of it going off, next time I started it, starter wouldn't stop cranking. Disconnect the batter, reconnect, starts fine.

Anyone have a problem like this before?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Look around, I can get starters reworked for $30 or less locally if your starter happens to be bad. New or remaned parts don't always mean flawless. I know your frustration level though...

Reactions: MikeGaure

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Look around, I can get starters reworked for $30 or less locally if your starter happens to be bad. New or remaned parts don't always mean flawless. I know your frustration level though...

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Whenever that happened to me it was the ignition switch. How many keys you got hanging off of the ring?
Just the key and the remote to lock/unlock. That was another thought but I would think if that were the case it would happen more sporadically and not just after something runs on the battery.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My friends old F 100 did that and it was the ignition switch.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yeah was messing with it last night, looks like ignition switch.
I think if you get it at dealership they can cut your keys for you right there. They did for me. So you can still just have 1 key for the doors/ignition.

Reactions: Robert86

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
His was the housing with the wires not the key and tumbers. It's sold in two parts $66 for the key tumbers and $75 for the housing with the wires and plug . Both of his cars had the problem a 2000 Buick la sabre, the junker would cut off while driving . Part of the GM deal that killed people

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
His was the housing with the wires not the key and tumbers. It's sold in two parts $66 for the key tumbers and $75 for the housing with the wires and plug . Both of his cars had the problem a 2000 Buick la sabre, the junker would cut off while driving . Part of the GM deal that killed people
My sister's car did that. She ended up hitting a transformer and got hit with a bill for $25,000 to replace it. Insurance didn't believe the car just died and she was was texting and driving. She argued with them for several years before GM got nailed and had to issue a recall and then insurance suddenly believed her.

On my van it looks like the electronic part needs to be replaced. It's $25. NAPA didn't have one in stock so I'm waiting for it to get in. Also need to replace my belt, started squealing yesterday. Time for a tune up all around. We just crossed 150,000 miles on it.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Okay, this ones getting weird. Solenoid checked out so we replaced the ignition switch. Seemed to take care of it. Tonight it happened again and this time we couldn't get it to start without the starter failing to disengage. Had to have the van towed. I'm not sure what it could be. All parts are under warranty so tomorrow I think I'm going to pull the starter, it was re manufactured so I figure it's most likely to have a problem. Get a new one in and see what happens.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Okay, this ones getting weird. Solenoid checked out so we replaced the ignition switch. Seemed to take care of it. Tonight it happened again and this time we couldn't get it to start without the starter failing to disengage. Had to have the van towed. I'm not sure what it could be. All parts are under warranty so tomorrow I think I'm going to pull the starter, it was re manufactured so I figure it's most likely to have a problem. Get a new one in and see what happens.
I helped a friend put a re-man starter in an old camper. It didnt work. He went through the entire electrical. I said for shit's and giggles return it and get another. But mark this one with a sharpie. After 2 days he finally caved and returned it. Second one wouldnt start. It tried but didnt have enough ass to turn a big block. 3rd try they gave him one he had marked previously (why i said mark it). He said no get me a different one. They had one left. We put it in. It started right up.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Nothing makes you madder than having too replace a new part lol

Also you can cause parts to fail if you didn’t hook them up properly.

Had too rework wiring to traces why my van was eating up voltage regulators. Well a buddy was helping and wired some alternator wires bad. Burned up voltage regs and killed the battery.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I helped a friend put a re-man starter in an old camper. It didnt work. He went through the entire electrical. I said for shit's and giggles return it and get another. But mark this one with a sharpie. After 2 days he finally caved and returned it. Second one wouldnt start. It tried but didnt have enough ass to turn a big block. 3rd try they gave him one he had marked previously (why i said mark it). He said no get me a different one. They had one left. We put it in. It started right up.
Smart one. lol
I enjoy turning wrenches unless it’s my sole vehicle then I’m mad lol

My dad called me last week. Had a busted flywheel and couldn’t get too some of the bolts high up on the bell housing.

That was fun, ended up helping pull flywheel and re setting new one and the tranny. What a pain when it’s 110 outside thought I was gonna die

Reactions: keep it clean

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Smart one. lol
I enjoy turning wrenches unless it’s my sole vehicle then I’m mad lol

My dad called me last week. Had a busted flywheel and couldn’t get too some of the bolts high up on the bell housing.

That was fun, ended up helping pull flywheel and re setting new one and the tranny. What a pain when it’s 110 outside thought I was gonna die
Come on over, it's like 65 here right now. I hate working on vehicles.

I ended up replacing the solenoid this morning since it's easy to get to. Running for now. Frustrating thing is every time I mess with something it starts fine and goes for a couple days.