A reel before & after!

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
How big of a fresh water tank does one really need to get through a busy day? Sorry to steer semi-off topic...

Thanks,
Neil
It all depends. Both trucks carry 100 gallons. We did 5000 sq ft the other day on a commercial job and used almost 300 gal. total.

NTC

Sep 23, 2014
VA
Real Name
Neil Carson
Business Location
United States
It all depends. Both trucks carry 100 gallons. We did 5000 sq ft the other day on a commercial job and used almost 300 gal. total.
Wow - Most jobs we do can be handled by on-site water supply, so the tank would really be a back up plan. I wonder how much would be a safe back up amount.

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
I was considering the HydraCradle (http://www.hydramaster.com/Products/Accessories/Tanks/HydraCradleTankFreshWaterSupply.aspx) or Water Pond (http://www.jondon.com/blueline-water-pond.html) to free up a whole side of the truck. Anyone here have experience with these?
Thanks,
Neil
I have the Hydra Cradle - posted a pic on page 3. It is very awesome, but very expensive. The amount of real estate it saves is worth it because I can carry everything I may need on the van and be ready when the customer adds things to the job.

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
How big of a fresh water tank does one really need to get through a busy day? Sorry to steer semi-off topic...

Thanks,
Neil
I only use soft water, so I must carry it myself. Mine is 120 gallons and have only had a few days where I need to refill during the day (but those are VERY good days).

NTC

Sep 23, 2014
VA
Real Name
Neil Carson
Business Location
United States
Awesome - thanks! I noticed they are crazy expensive.

Steed

Nov 26, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Steele
Business Location
Canada
Sweet! Electric reels never want to go back

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
I just bought a fresh water tank.. okay stole it basically and my thinking is if it can save 10 minutes a day by not dealing with water.. thats an hour a week, 4 hours a month.. that 48 hrs a year I don't have to worry about dealing with water. The biggest thing is not having to deal with the spider webs.. this year I walked face first into a huge web, the rest of the day it just felt like spiders crawling on me..

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
Using customer's water not only looks unprofessional, but creates an unnecessary liability IMO. Especially in cold weather climates.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Using customer's water not only looks unprofessional, but creates an unnecessary liability IMO. Especially in cold weather climates.
Agreed.. the other reason why I am going fresh water tank. My tech was on a job earlier this year and the pipe broke inside the house when we turned on the water spigot. The only thing that saved us from be liable is we always ask permission if its okay to use the outside spigot. Whew.. dodged a bullet.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Agreed.. the other reason why I am going fresh water tank. My tech was on a job earlier this year and the pipe broke inside the house when we turned on the water spigot. The only thing that saved us from be liable is we always ask permission if its okay to use the outside spigot. Whew.. dodged a bullet.
Why would you be liable for turning on a water spigot? I've been turning on my customer's water spigots for 12 years and haven't come across any of them breaking and me being liable.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Up north it's needed to bring your own water, but it's definitely not unprofessional.

This is an argument that will never end. I feel that the negative in carrying your own water outweighs the positive. (besides being up north) If you live in my area, I see no need to put more wear on your vehicle and worry about emptying your water tank.

And with proper preplanning on your job, and preparing your customer for what is needed on their part, it's rarely a problem.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Cold weather climates you have to be careful hooking up to a once frozen outside facet. Back pressure valve or line that froze and split but is in a wall cavity. Soon as you turn on the facet on you can start feeding your machine but at the same time it is leaking into the basement of the house. Don't ask me how I know this :D. When you hook up in the winter, spring or anytime you need to make sure your hose gets pressure on it and tight and listen to make sure you don't here water running.

Reactions: matt30577

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Why would you be liable for turning on a water spigot? I've been turning on my customer's water spigots for 12 years and haven't come across any of them breaking and me being liable.
If I didn't get permission and just used it.. who are they going to blame when there is damage throughout the line? Its not something I want to put myself or my company in.. liable or not, its still a headache that I don't want to deal with. Plus who do you think they are going to come after for the water damage bill?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
If I didn't get permission and just used it.. who are they going to blame when there is damage throughout the line? Its not something I want to put myself or my company in.. liable or not, its still a headache that I don't want to deal with. Plus who do you think they are going to come after for the water damage bill?
So you're telling me that you can do 4 jobs with just 100 gallons of water in your van? You have to use your customer's water sometime during the day, unless you're wasting time and gas to back to your house to fill the tank back up. Do you get my point?

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
So you're telling me that you can do 4 jobs with just 100 gallons of water in your van? You have to use your customer's water sometime during the day, unless you're wasting time and gas to back to your house to fill the tank back up. Do you get my point?
Usually do about 3 jobs and I haven't installed it yet, going to this weekend.. but those are the main reasons why I am going to a fresh water tank. My tech said the same thing you did about the weight in the van, about an extra 835lbs. I have a 1 ton its going in so I doubt its going to make much of a difference with driving..

I probably will have to use the customers spigot at some point, but it will be far and few between.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I use the customers water all the time because I use high flows. I generally don't hook up to their water if it is just a couple of rooms and a hallway. I carry 55 gallons fresh with me. Not me but someone that uses 30 flow will use over 100 gallons in 45 minute's. :D

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
As others have said, there can be leaks in the line that you are not aware of. Back when I hired carpet cleaners, I had one flood a basement and he had to fix it. No idea what the cost was.

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
I carry 120 gallons. I feel it is important to use soft water, so bringing my own is the only way I can do that. I've had to re-fill during the day only a few times, but those are big money days so its no big deal. As far as wasting time, I think it saves time because I can begin work immediately upon arrival and not wander around looking for water and pulling hose.

Reactions: Wec

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
I only use soft water, so I must carry it myself. Mine is 120 gallons and have only had a few days where I need to refill during the day (but those are VERY good days).
I had a Kinetico K-30 twin tank water softener in my van for a number of years. I used potassium chloride for the ion exchange, when the unit automatically back washed the tank just used, the waste water could be put on the lawn without burning it. I only carried a water tank for a couple months....finding water was only a problem once.

I have a discount line at the bottom of my invoice for water and electricity use. I deduct $10 for both...I know that I don't use that much of either, but the clients appreciate that I'm sensitive to using the resources they pay for.

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
You have no reason to believe me, but I assure you this is a true story. Right at dinner time today my phone rings. Girl wants her 2 BR place cleaned and then proceeds to ask me if I need water. I say no and she says good because the other guy she called needs it and the water is turned off at the house. Job booked for Monday at 11AM. +$159 for me.

Reactions: matt30577 and Omar