Direct Mail EDDM - Advertising With No Discount. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Direct Mail EDDM Advertising With No Discount.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
You are in the market for a new car. You get 2 letters in the mail. One has 0% and $1500 cash back and how personable their staff is.
The other explains how personable their staff is but offers no incentive. Which do you call?
I NEVER compare my business to a car sales business. As a matter of fact, it might be a bad business practice, but when my customer starts trying to "bargain" my prices, I look at them directly in the eye and say..."I'm not selling a car, I'm providing a service that can't be bargained". I might have lost a few customers in the past by saying that, but if that was the reason they didn't call back, then I'm glad they went with the B&S company.

Reactions: EatSuccess

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Appreciate your response. Do you advertise pricing?
No; I only did the discount. Most knew what they had spent so, they knew what to expect. I'm assuming they know how to do the math. :)

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
I NEVER compare my business to a car sales business. As a matter of fact, it might be a bad business practice, but when my customer starts trying to "bargain" my prices, I look at them directly in the eye and say..."I'm not selling a car, I'm providing a service that can't be bargained". I might have lost a few customers in the past by saying that, but if that was the reason they didn't call back, then I'm glad they went with the B&S company.
I am not comparing our business to any other business. I am talking about the customers mentality.. do you believe the customer has a different mentality for each industry? When I get my car serviced I usually use some sort of incentive deal or coupon.. people go on yelp to buy coupons for plumbers, lawn care etc.. the last clipper magazine I got a pest treatment service was right there on the front with a $50 off plus extra 20% off.

What industry would you rather compare this to?
I am not asking anyone to change how they do business.. but if you are sending a mailer out seeking NEW clients you should have an offer. IMO

Some people have mentioned mailings to their in-house list.. The way you market to your in-house list SHOULD be totally different than how you market to gain new clients..

direct marketing is typically to drive a customer to your sales team to be closed .. there is a few things that go into it, and the incentive is not the biggest part of it but it should be a part of it

ps. i don't bargain either.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Anyone doing EDDM without offering discounts? Working on my first EDDM piece along with a 5x7 card that I can use for 5 arounds/ canvassing and would like to know if it can be done successfully without a discount.
I personally did not have success with direct mail using price based/coupon style pieces. We did offer a free room or free chair cleaning but no numbers and no dotted line coupon style.

Google "postcard templates" and click images, look at examples in other industries, some really good ones. No need to copy what other cleaners are doing, do your own thing. You do not want to be a discounter, SO DON'T!

Carve out your own niche.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Th
I am not comparing our business to any other business. I am talking about the customers mentality.. do you believe the customer has a different mentality for each industry? When I get my car serviced I usually use some sort of incentive deal or coupon.. people go on yelp to buy coupons for plumbers, lawn care etc.. the last clipper magazine I got a pest treatment service was right there on the front with a $50 off plus extra 20% off.

What industry would you rather compare this to?
I am not asking anyone to change how they do business.. but if you are sending a mailer out seeking NEW clients you should have an offer. IMO

Some people have mentioned mailings to their in-house list.. The way you market to your in-house list SHOULD be totally different than how you market to gain new clients..

direct marketing is typically to drive a customer to your sales team to be closed .. there is a few things that go into it, and the incentive is not the biggest part of it but it should be a part of it

ps. i don't bargain either.
The customer doesn't have a different mind set for each industry he chooses to do business with. Rather, each industry has different customers , with varied needs and value systems. IMO, not recognizing this is why we have so many OO's in our own industry offering such retarded prices.......oooohhhh! That's gotta get some "winner" votes. :)

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Any luck with this style card?
Some campaigns yes, some no.

Affluent, older demographics worked better for us with postcards regardless of message/style.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Anyone doing EDDM without offering discounts? Working on my first EDDM piece along with a 5x7 card that I can use for 5 arounds/ canvassing and would like to know if it can be done successfully without a discount.

I say do it if you have a strong brand.. something that people automatically want to buy. Its not a bad idea to offer something up to sweeten the deal for the ones on the fence.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Put yourself in the prospects shoes. Would you rather have

1. A good Deal?
or
2. A good Job (Service Experience)?

....emphasize whichever one you KNOW matters the most to your ideal customer/prospect/market

6'

peakcleaning

Jan 26, 2011
mo
Real Name
les
Business Location
United States
We do a lot of 30$ off new
Thinking about doing one with 10% and one without for similar routes and seeing what happens.
customer and free spotter to first 10 customers. We get a good response from it, but we also market to the same 1000 homes every month with door hangers and flieyr EDDM and more. I would say after about 2 years of hiting the same 3 neighborhoods we are getting about 2% and have had a 5% in holidays, but most def. a 2% average because after January its no good around here. Nothing but commercial

peakcleaning

Jan 26, 2011
mo
Real Name
les
Business Location
United States
We do a lot of 30$ off new

customer and free spotter to first 10 customers. We get a good response from it, but we also market to the same 1000 homes every month with door hangers and flieyr EDDM and more. I would say after about 2 years of hiting the same 3 neighborhoods we are getting about 2% and have had a 5% in holidays, but most def. a 2% average because after January its no good around here. Nothing but commercial
We charger around the same as Ryan .45 a square foot so we really don't eat much on the deal and we are happy to have the opportunity to get a new client. We just started bumping our rates from $30 buck s a room of 150 squarefeet to .45 a sqft and were are doubling profits and referrals because we are getting paid to do the high quality work we wanted to be known for.

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
Think about "black friday" why is this the biggest shopping day of the year? Because of sales. Most of the time there are only a FEW great sales... the rest is just a small discount of the already marked up price.

Reactions: EatSuccess

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
We charger around the same as Ryan .45 a square foot so we really don't eat much on the deal and we are happy to have the opportunity to get a new client. We just started bumping our rates from $30 buck s a room of 150 squarefeet to .45 a sqft and were are doubling profits and referrals because we are getting paid to do the high quality work we wanted to be known for.
This guy 'gets it'!

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
Anyone doing EDDM with
out offering discounts? Working on my first EDDM piece along with a 5x7 card that I can use for 5 arounds/ canvassing and would like to know if it can be done successfully without a discount.
Hey, buddy,
if you want to do EDDM and you are not sure about the ROI,
so... why don't you get 3-4 local service providers and do EDDM with them?
Let's say: you-the carpet cleaner, George - the plumber, Jack - the electric-guy, and so on, and so on...
and all you, guys, get together and spread around your brand for a fraction of the cost...

P.S. I really want to chat with people, who are coming with some really nice cons and no-cons...
Peace!

Responder

Sep 16, 2012
Pikesville, MD
Real Name
Chaim Kessler
Business Location
United States
I did my first round of EDDM which had no discounts a week and a half ago. Got 2 jobs totaling over $1800 in 'jobs pending scheduling' from them. I need to get one of my helpers for one and test strippers on the wax of the other. I also got added to a quality handyman's list as the carpet cleaner he refers.

Responder

Sep 16, 2012
Pikesville, MD
Real Name
Chaim Kessler
Business Location
United States
Hey, buddy,
if you want to do EDDM and you are not sure about the ROI,
so... why don't you get 3-4 local service providers and do EDDM with them?
Let's say: you-the carpet cleaner, George - the plumber, Jack - the electric-guy, and so on, and so on...
and all you, guys, get together and spread around your brand for a fraction of the cost...

P.S. I really want to chat with people, who are coming with some really nice cons and no-cons...
Peace!
Because then you divide the attention of the prospect and lose a lot of the space that makes EDDM so unique.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Con Grats Bro..just dont spend that money yet on the 'YET' to be Scheduled' Jobs..seen that backfire more than once! Neva' Count yer' Chickens before they Hatch Chaim! BTW What's a 'Quality' Handyman List? Whom decides THAT!! Regards to EDDM..I could go on ALL Day/Nite about disagreeing with your views on that one! I mail out monthly over 100,000 pieces..Full Color Glossy for less than a PENNY each!
We hit EVERY home not just a small % as you and at a cost FAR LESS than EDDM! Not to say your way does not work Chaim..sure it does or can..I'll stay with the odds in my favor for LESS!;)

Reactions: barefoot

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Because then you divide the attention of the prospect and lose a lot of the space that makes EDDM so unique.
Yeah i agree, when we do direct mail it is all about ME!
would rather display different services of ours.

If i want to go the coop route valpak or whatever you can reach far more people.