Advice and considerations on setting my (small) van | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Advice and considerations on setting my (small) van

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
i have run an astro van for 16 years....
great engine great gas mileage easy to park.....

ran with a portable then a TM....
tight fit ...but it works .....

get a hose real....
depending on your state just run a hose to the flower bed or the sewage port outside......

for commercial get a 100' dump hose.....or longer...
get the compact stainless steel water hose.....

wont have room for a waste tank.......

dont need a water tank unless you are doing apts.....
you already have a small bypass tank in your water hog....
or really small jobs....
You must live in a warm climate and don't have to deal with well water , septic tanks or frozen hoses etc..
Must be Nice !!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I was at at stoplight in South Park when I snapped the picture, I'm kinda OCD about my equipment and how it works. The freshwater reel will feed the TM or fill the freshwater tank and feed the TM at the flip of a ball valve at the back door without reaching in.

20190506_194754.jpg

Reactions: J20770 and Jimsteam

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I would consider pulling a small enclosed trailer behind the small Astro for the generator and a waste tank.
That's great idea. It's I can definitely use trailer with my Chevy Express as well. I have trailer hitch installed, but I would need a few lessons on how to back it up, so maybe my next one will be extended van instead

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
i have run an astro van for 16 years....
great engine great gas mileage easy to park.....

ran with a portable then a TM....
tight fit ...but it works .....

get a hose real....
depending on your state just run a hose to the flower bed or the sewage port outside......

for commercial get a 100' dump hose.....or longer...
get the compact stainless steel water hose.....

wont have room for a waste tank.......

dont need a water tank unless you are doing apts.....
you already have a small bypass tank in your water hog....
or really small jobs....
Without looking at your avatar, I can recognize your writing patterns.
I had Astro only for about 3 years. Than head gasket happened. My fault, I let the engine overheat a few times ...
Too bad , van had only147 K miles. Shame on me....

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I would consider pulling a small enclosed trailer behind the small Astro for the generator and a waste tank.
OMG I am starting to get nervous and wonder if I am in too deep.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
First off don't be nervous you got this. I will help you as well as other guys will help you along the way you don't have to take their advice as if it is law. I've been at this for over 20 years there's nothing hard about carpet cleaning people make this job way more difficult than it needs to be settle down feel free to contact me I'll help you out.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
I use a trailer because my 4 door 8' bed Chevy wont fit in my heated garage. Something else to consider if your area freezes.
Hopefully your getting some honest replies .
Save the Xanax for your nerves when you start cleaning and waiting for calls.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
First off don't be nervous you got this. I will help you as well as other guys will help you along the way you don't have to take their advice as if it is law. I've been at this for over 20 years there's nothing hard about carpet cleaning people make this job way more difficult than it needs to be settle down feel free to contact me I'll help you out.
Ha ha thank you. Im more anxious than nervous as I am still waiting on final parts to actually run and test and use my system. I see myself gaining confidence once I have actually used everything and cleaned some carpets.

I appreciate everyone being willing to help.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I use a trailer because my 4 door 8' bed Chevy wont fit in my heated garage. Something else to consider if your area freezes.
Hopefully your getting some honest replies .
Save the Xanax for your nerves when you start cleaning and waiting for calls.
Good point, definetly been thinking about the freeze factor. In PA we defiantly get freezing probably 5-6 months a year. The water hog is nice because I can take that inside pretty easily to avoid freezing but other things like chems, maybe the air hog should come in as well because it might have even a small amount of water in the system as well? Diesel Heater sake thing might retain some water so maybe just some type of safe space heaters in the van if we haven't found a house with a garage by then.

All things in time.

As for the Xanax - yeah no kidding. Sales and getting customers has been the biggest thing in my mind just like for everyone I'm sure. It was encouraging yesterday when my wife and mother in law seemed to think in time I will be like some other small businesses we know that have more customers than they can handle.

I wish I saw the world as rosy as them but I may also be under thinking (?) the potential.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Without looking at your avatar, I can recognize your writing patterns.
I had Astro only for about 3 years. Than head gasket happened. My fault, I let the engine overheat a few times ...
Too bad , van had only147 K miles. Shame on me....
Oh no. How did you let the engine overheat?

The Astro I picked up is a 1 owner (maybe that doesn't mean anything) with 135K miles. Starts and runs strong. Passed inspection with no issues. No dents, and very clean and to me that is an indicator that suggests it was well cared for.

For some reason one of my biggest fears is the payload is going to blow a spring or something.

Other than that if I can get 2 years out of it I will be a happy camper.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I was at at stoplight in South Park when I snapped the picture, I'm kinda OCD about my equipment and how it works. The freshwater reel will feed the TM or fill the freshwater tank and feed the TM at the flip of a ball valve at the back door without reaching in.

View attachment 84651
Looks neat and tidy.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Because you have limited space, here's my thoughts:
I would start by choosing the location for the vac reel. I like the vac reel on drivers side rear door for many reasons. The rokan slim line 200' with the stack bracket can still mount 3 live 17" reels on the side with a small footprint. Mosmatic or superswivels on the 3 live reels, 3/8" size swivel for the reels at a minimum, bigger on the APO if you can fit it. You can fit 225' 1/4" solution line or 130' 5/8" garden hose for your freshwater or APO on 17" reels.

Having a bracket fabbed to put the air/water hog on top of each other behind the front cab seats would save valuable real estate. Doing the same thing with the generator, mounting it over an off the shelf aluminum 55 gal fuel tank for freshwater on another stout steel angle iron bracket will also save valuable space.

Having everything plumbed big enough on QC's to operate as an ETM or to easily and quickly go portable would be a focus for me. You have all the right items in place and with some thought and effort and mocking things up with cardboard you will definitely find your best and most productive layout. Hope this helps some or inspires some new ideas.
This is a whole new level here, Jim. I like what you're suggesting. Its so new to me I need to figure this out.

I suppose I can fab brackets out of metal or wood depending on what Im doing, etc.

When you talk about mounting the generator over a water tank are you thinking of taking the frame off the generator or just mounting as is?

Also, if I am deciding on waste water tank over freshwater tank could I use the same tank you are recommending for fresh water for the waste water? Searching for tanks is very straight forward Im finding..

Thanks man - thought provoking stuff for sure. With no experience in these areas its more difficult for me to imagine these things but Im getting there.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Also, one question I have been meaning to ask the group:

How many gallons of water is an average residential job?

Lets say you do 500 sq ft of carpet:

1000 sq ft:

20 gallons, 40 gallons, 60 gallons. I have NO idea.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I want you to consider your safety in the event of a wreck first. Through bolting through the floor and even tethering bolts under the vehicle if needed. I don't recommend wood, but solid welded angle iron brackets for stacking items.

You can try using small water tanks first, like the 30 gallon ones that your local carwash will give you to see how much you need one or the other.