Advice on starting floor cleaning business | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Advice on starting floor cleaning business

Brian Sulltrop

Aug 15, 2015
Real Name
Brian Sulltrop
For the last year or so I have given a lot of thought and research to starting and carpet and tile cleaning business. First my background is I have been in the fire and water restoration world for a few years now and have performed a fair amount of carpet cleaning and floor care in my time with a large restoration company so I am not a total newbie but no where near a seasoned vet. I have become simple burnt out lately in the restoration world with the non stop go go go and only time to sleep and no time for family and am there for looking into seriously starting a carpet and tile cleaning business of my own. I have no problem working long hours when needed however I know if I am blessed with lots of business as the owner operator I can say no to a job in order to gain family time if need be. And of course I don’t have much money set aside however I could pickup a decent used porty and a vlm machine and the needed supplies with the money I have saved. So I suppose I have said all that to say is it worth while it to start out with the basics going door to door and or looking for commercial work or is that a road that will just lead to very little income?

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
For the last year or so I have given a lot of thought and research to starting and carpet and tile cleaning business. First my background is I have been in the fire and water restoration world for a few years now and have performed a fair amount of carpet cleaning and floor care in my time with a large restoration company so I am not a total newbie but no where near a seasoned vet. I have become simple burnt out lately in the restoration world with the non stop go go go and only time to sleep and no time for family and am there for looking into seriously starting a carpet and tile cleaning business of my own. I have no problem working long hours when needed however I know if I am blessed with lots of business as the owner operator I can say no to a job in order to gain family time if need be. And of course I don’t have much money set aside however I could pickup a decent used porty and a vlm machine and the needed supplies with the money I have saved. So I suppose I have said all that to say is it worth while it to start out with the basics going door to door and or looking for commercial work or is that a road that will just lead to very little income?
The more you learn the more you earn. I would take a couple online courses, HWE, VLM and Commercial cleaning. This will put you well on your way.

www.tmfacademy.com

Jc_Rug

Mar 9, 2017
Real Name
Justin Wilbers
Call me my name is Justin if I dont pick up leave a message ill get right back to you!

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

Do what Rob said. Then start you business. Take A Chance - Columbus Did.(y)

Reactions: PATRICK YANELLO

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Looking at the carpet cleaning industry is a good start. Now look at the market in your area. Is there need for one more carpet cleaning company? How stiff is the competition? Can you offer something different and set yourself apart from the competition?

Think about the part of the market you want to serve. Large volume at a low price could get you back into the go go go routine you are trying to avoid. Do you want to do commercial? Residential? A mix? Will doing commercial on the nights and weekends interfere with the family time you desire?

Maybe you can sub-contract work from the restoration company you work for now. Great for both sides if they want the mitigation and rebuilding work, you can have the cleaning.

When you get your first portable or truckmount, send me an email and I will send you a nice starter package of chemicals picked for your business.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I did water damage for 3-5 years when i first started my carpet cleaning business....
That 3-5 years is about the burnout time for water damage....

With a portable and 175 buffer....
I would start on apts. motels, Rentals,
Homes will take time to build up.......
If you would get 2-3 apt. Complexes it will keep you busy until you get ready for a truckmount.....
Also you can do paches and small water jobs.....on apt.