Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
i will agree that is part of my job, but it cannot consume all my time. otherwise i won't have time for my real job is which is providing the service i'm trying to advertise.
In the beggining if you are NOT activly cleaning carpet, you must be using your time to market your bizz.

So yeah, for your first few years most who end up successful do spend a lot more time marketing than they do actually cleaning carpet.
You should be working 45-60 hours a week on your bizz right now in the summer in my opinion. Its our jobs people. Most definetly at the beginning when your bizz is new. So subtract your carpet jobs for the week from that number and the rest of the time MUST be spent on marketing your bizz.
If you stay and O/O that trend will reverse as you develop a repeat customer base and need less advertising.
However, If you hire employees, the cycle restarts itself and the owner focuses a good deal of his time on marketing and growing the business through new sources of job leads.

This is not just us saying this stuff bros. The paid Gurus, who are older than dirt and been doing this since before we were born, say the same thing.

If you want to really make good money in this bizz,

You have to come to terms with this point.

"I am a marketer first, that happens to clean carpets for a living."

IF you just want to go to work and clean carpets,
I would suggest you find a good local company that will hire you and pay you on a straight commission basis. You will feel like you have your own company and even pay taxes as a sole proprietor, however your employer will do all of the marketing for you.

Do NOT take this as a slam or bust. It is how I worked for 5 years when I got into this industry. It taught me a lot. Including marketing. You get to see how your employer drives customers to call in and book.
It allowed me to make some connections in the industry locally and to see how a in home service bizz was ran. It allowed me too take the stuff I did like from my employers model and NOT do the systems and practices I did NOT like.

Last edited:

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I started AdWords and my business a few weeks ago and had ZERO luck with AdWords until I was told what I did wrong. Once I corrected it it started working.... Last week I did my first 3 jobs all from AdWords. Over $425 with like $30 worth of total clicks last week! I'll take that every week.
How did you correct your mistake?

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
In the beggining if you are NOT activly cleaning carpet, you must be using your time to market your bizz.

So yeah, for your first few years most who end up successful do spend a lot more time marketing than they do actually cleaning carpet.
You should be working 45-60 hours a week on your bizz right now in the summer in my opinion. Its our jobs people. Most definetly at the beginning when your bizz is new. So subtract your carpet jobs for the week from that number and the rest of the time MUST be spent on marketing your bizz.
If you stay and O/O that trend will reverse as you develop a repeat customer base and need less advertising.
However, If you hire employees, the cycle restarts itself and the owner focuses a good deal of his time on marketing and growing the business through new sources of job leads.

This is not just us saying this stuff bros. The paid Gurus, who are older than dirt and been doing this since before we were born, say the same thing.

If you want to really make good money in this bizz,

You have to come to terms with this point.

"I am a marketer first, that happens to clean carpets for a living."

IF you just want to go to work and clean carpets,
I would suggest you find a good local company that will hire you and pay you on a straight commission basis. You will feel like you have your own company and even pay taxes as a sole proprietor, however your employer will do all of the marketing for you.

Do NOT take this as a slam or bust. It is how I worked for 5 years when I got into this industry. It taught me a lot. Including marketing. You get to see how your employer drives customers to call in and book.
It allowed me to make some connections in the industry locally and to see how a in home service bizz was ran. It allowed me too take the stuff I did like from my employers model and NOT do the systems and practices I did NOT like.
You make good points

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
You make good points
Above all else,

You Must get up and keep going.

But you have to have a plan.

Without it you have no direction or clue to where you are even trying to go.

Its honestly as much about your headspace and where you are as it is the actions you take.

REBOOT.

Make a plan.

Then execute it with laser like focus.

You can do it.

Reactions: awratchford

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Adwords has been a hard nut to crack for me. I made a run trying adwords at the beginning of the spring carpet cleaning season. @Kipp, @shane deubell and a few unmentionable on TMF names helped me out and I got good placement and visibility. Then the competitors around me starting advertising low price specials as part of their add and it got stupid. I spent quite a bit of money and got one terrible job then decided it was not for me at that time.

There are so many variables it seems like you are always shooting at a moving target.

I like print material advertising also but it seems less effective then when I started 22 yrs ago. I don't know if people are becoming over run with advertising and less responsive or what. So the main thing when trying to get customers is do several different things, the old don't put all your eggs in one basket concept.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Adwords has been a hard nut to crack for me. I made a run trying adwords at the beginning of the spring carpet cleaning season. @Kipp, @shane deubell and a few unmentionable on TMF names helped me out and I got good placement and visibility. Then the competitors around me starting advertising low price specials as part of their add and it got stupid. I spent quite a bit of money and got one terrible job then decided it was not for me at that time.

There are so many variables it seems like you are always shooting at a moving target.

I like print material advertising also but it seems less effective then when I started 22 yrs ago. I don't know if people are becoming over run with advertising and less responsive or what. So the main thing when trying to get customers is do several different things, the old don't put all your eggs in one basket concept.
NO

The reality is we are currently living in and operating in the midst of a depresion that is worst than the first great depression.

Over 104 million Americans received INCOME based assistance from the Government last month.

This represents a higher level of struggle than was seen during the great depression.

People simply do NOT have money.

Credit was exhausted in the 2000's.

This is the reality.

The stock market is where it is today for one simple reason.

The Federal Reserves Monetary Policy

Especially them holding rates at near 0% for overnight loans for the extended period they have.

Yellen (the Fed chairwoman) simply can not raise rates now. She is in a box. If she does, equities (the stock market) comes unglued and collapses.

Scarey thing is Keynes, they economist the media and many investors love so much, clearly stated that once the Fed has reached a 0% interest rate and holds it there for more than a few quarters, the game is over. It is only a matter of when the manipulations and distortions overwhelm the system and actors within it.

This is why our advertising dollars do not seem to produce the ROI that was possible only 10 short years ago.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
NO

The reality is we are currently living in and operating in the midst of a depresion that is worst than the first great depression.

Over 104 million Americans received INCOME based assistance from the Government last month.

This represents a higher level of struggle than was seen during the great depression.

People simply do NOT have money.

Credit was exhausted in the 2000's.

This is the reality.

The stock market is where it is today for one simple reason.

The Federal Reserves Monetary Policy

Especially them holding rates at near 0% for overnight loans for the extended period they have.

Yellen (the Fed chairwoman) simply can not raise rates now. She is in a box. If she does, equities (the stock market) comes unglued and collapses.

Scarey thing is Keynes, they economist the media and many investors love so much, clearly stated that once the Fed has reached a 0% interest rate and holds it there for more than a few quarters, the game is over. It is only a matter of when the manipulations and distortions overwhelm the system and actors within it.

This is why our advertising dollars do not seem to produce the ROI that was possible only 10 short years ago.
Interesting, people keep telling us we are out of the recession. That is one of the problems with the internet posters speak in absolutes when their opinion is not always true. Because so there is so many differences in each service area.

Spending has opened up in my area in the past 2 years. Large homes are being built, people are purchasing high dollar vehicles, boats, and other toys again. Just what am seeing in my area.

I don't agree with the current economic outlook as a lot of spending is based on borrowing and that is going to bite us in the butt again. How many of the 104 million Americans receiving assistance want to take care of themselves? But I don't want to turn this thread into a economics thread.

Last edited:

ECP

Jan 6, 2014
Real Name
lily
I started AdWords and my business a few weeks ago and had ZERO luck with AdWords until I was told what I did wrong. Once I corrected it it started working.... Last week I did my first 3 jobs all from AdWords. Over $425 with like $30 worth of total clicks last week! I'll take that every week.
What did you correct? What was the error?

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Interesting, people keep telling us we are out of the recession. That is one of the problems with the internet posters speak in absolutes when their opinion is not always true. Because so there is so many differences in each service area.

Spending has opened up in my area in the past 2 years. Large homes are being built, people are purchasing high dollar vehicles, boats, and other toys again. Just what am seeing in my area.

I don't agree with the current economic outlook as a lot of spending is based on borrowing and that is going to bite us in the butt again. How many of the 104 million Americans receiving assistance want to take care of themselves? But I don't want to turn this thread into a economics thread.
Its irrelevant if they want to take care of themselves.
The fact is they needed .gov support to make ends meet.
That means they are NOT able to make ends meet in this current economy.

Where does that leave carpet cleaning on the list of to do's???????????????????

Way at the bottom.

You are correct, I am talking averages, also, the upper class is getting richer due to the 0% overnight loans and the rising stock market. They are the ones in the position to take advantage of the inflation and deflation in housing and other sectors of the economy we have seen over the last 30 years.
You are only making the case stronger that I was making.

Nick Miladinov

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Nick Miladinov
What did you correct? What was the error?
Well, for starters I had way too many keywords... 15-20 is all you need. I also didn't have my keywords in quotes(exact match) which is huge! If you're just starting your business like I am then what will get your customer to click on your ad?? Price. I know a lot of cleaners target quality quality yada, yada but an ad that says "quality or family owned or whatever won't get the clicks that a coupon ad will... Most of us want to get our phones to ring right away and that's what did it for me. I also had to put these prices on my landing page. I did over $400 in my first ever week and I landed a commercial job over $3k. I only spent about $30 in clicks.

Nick Miladinov

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Nick Miladinov
Another thing is if your average position is above 3 then it won't be as successful either. I played with that too.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Its irrelevant if they want to take care of themselves.
The fact is they needed .gov support to make ends meet.
That means they are NOT able to make ends meet in this current economy.

Where does that leave carpet cleaning on the list of to do's???????????????????

Way at the bottom.

You are correct, I am talking averages, also, the upper class is getting richer due to the 0% overnight loans and the rising stock market. They are the ones in the position to take advantage of the inflation and deflation in housing and other sectors of the economy we have seen over the last 30 years.
You are only making the case stronger that I was making.
Why does everything become a debate with you? I am not making a case for anything other then my opinion. We are not going to cure poverty and government supported programs because people have become accustomed to government involvement in business and personal lives.

Anyways that is my opinion and only an opinion and like I said earlier I don't want to turn this thread into an economic thread. I originally posted to share my experiences on adwords and you go all high school debate.

Reactions: Spazznout

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Well, for starters I had way too many keywords... 15-20 is all you need. I also didn't have my keywords in quotes(exact match) which is huge! If you're just starting your business like I am then what will get your customer to click on your ad?? Price. I know a lot of cleaners target quality quality yada, yada but an ad that says "quality or family owned or whatever won't get the clicks that a coupon ad will... Most of us want to get our phones to ring right away and that's what did it for me. I also had to put these prices on my landing page. I did over $400 in my first ever week and I landed a commercial job over $3k. I only spent about $30 in clicks.
The cost per click was $12 - $15 for good placement in my area. How much is your cost per click?

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Why does everything become a debate with you? I am not making a case for anything other then my opinion. We are not going to cure poverty and government supported programs because people have become accustomed to government involvement in business and personal lives.

Anyways that is my opinion and only an opinion and like I said earlier I don't want to turn this thread into an economic thread. I originally posted to share my experiences on adwords and you go all high school debate.
It's what he likes to do. His personality. Shake it off.

I am experiencing the same growth in my area as you. We were not hit as hard as other places during the 2008 downturn. We have a very stable economy here. Despite the national numbers. There are pockets of depression in all of the US. It depends on where it is in relation to who lives there, what type of businesses are there etc. Too many variables. But you get the idea. Blanket national numbers are used to scare the entire populous into not living their lives.

Reactions: Harry Mullett

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States

You did notice my username didn't you.
Got that at age 9, before the internet.

Anyways. Sorry If I offended.

Had waaaaaaay too much coffee this morning.

Reactions: ECP

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
It's what he likes to do. His personality. Shake it off.

I am experiencing the same growth in my area as you. We were not hit as hard as other places during the 2008 downturn. We have a very stable economy here. Despite the national numbers. There are pockets of depression in all of the US. It depends on where it is in relation to who lives there, what type of businesses are there etc. Too many variables. But you get the idea. Blanket national numbers are used to scare the entire populous into not living their lives.
They are also real numbers. NOT meant to scare people.
You also have to live in the real world robert. NOT everything is a conspiracy.
Facts are just that facts.

Unlike OPINIONS

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
They are also real numbers. NOT meant to scare people.
You also have to live in the real world robert. NOT everything is a conspiracy.
Facts are just that facts.

Unlike OPINIONS
Fact is my real area is doing quite well despite your real numbers.

Everything is a conspiracy. No one acts alone.