Adwords

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
I absolutely hate Adwords, I have never had good luck with it. I know it works for some, but IMO it's because they are in less competitive markets, or in areas where folks aren't as ruthless. I can't even keep yard signs out around here without them being stolen.

Big G will do nothing for you with erroneous clicks from out of your area, or multiple clicks from the same ip. Not that the ip matters, because most competitors or potential customers are on a cell phones with ever changing ip's anyway.

Their 20 mile radius is more like 30 miles....so add about 10 miles to whatever radius you choose to cover.

Also, make sure you check the box that only people within your area can see your ad, and not anyone looking in your area, but who are outside of your area.

http://statcounter.com/

Install statcounter on your site. It's free and a great tool to see who's been on your site, it provides all their info....ip...location...etc. I don't trust google analytics, it's like the fox watching the hen house.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
I absolutely hate Adwords, I have never had good luck with it. I know it works for some, but IMO it's because they are in less competitive markets, or in areas where folks aren't as ruthless. I can't even keep yard signs out around here without them being stolen.

Big G will do nothing for you with erroneous clicks from out of your area, or multiple clicks from the same ip. Not that the ip matters, because most competitors or potential customers are on a cell phones with ever changing ip's anyway.

Their 20 mile radius is more like 30 miles....so add about 10 miles to whatever radius you choose to cover.

Also, make sure you check the box that only people within your area can see your ad, and not anyone looking in your area, but who are outside of your area.

http://statcounter.com/

Install statcounter on your site. It's free and a great tool to see who's been on your site, it provides all their info....ip...location...etc. I don't trust google analytics, it's like the fox watching the hen house.
I'm beginning to hate AdWords myself

Dewitt

Dec 22, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Dewitt
Business Location
United States
I was told by google that they will credit all of the repeated clicks as long as it shows activity from the same ip. From what I gathered, the responsibility falls on you to report any wrong doings then google will investigate. This has always been a concern of mine dealing with ppc campaigns. Sorta like a necessary evil.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
I was told by google that they will credit all of the repeated clicks as long as it shows activity from the same ip. From what I gathered, the responsibility falls on you to report any wrong doings then google will investigate. This has always been a concern of mine dealing with ppc campaigns. Sorta like a necessary evil.
They'll be getting my authority voice tomorrow. I guarantee

Dewitt

Dec 22, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Dewitt
Business Location
United States
They'll be getting my authority voice tomorrow. I guarantee
I understand completely. We're having to compete with these large companies with massive monthly ad budgets. If not careful, you can lose your shirt. Good luck to you and report back to us what you found out please.

Reactions: awratchford

A1CS

Feb 24, 2012
South Dakota
www.A-1CarpetService.com
Real Name
Harold Pastian
Business Location
United States
I was told or read somewhere that a click is only counted if it comes from a different ip address than had previously clicked your ad, meaning a competitor could not sit there and keep clicking to sabotage your budget.
Hey Peter, what you read would be great if that was the case, unfortunately a single IP address can click as many times as they want.

Take a hospital or any large employer would you want them blocked?

Google has pretty decent fraud detection going on, it could be a lot better but would cost them millions.

Google is not motivated to crack down on what you and I would consider to be fraudulent clicks.

what has worked pretty well for me is using my own data to track down the fraud, then report the IP address to google for blocking your ads from being seen by those IP addresses.

Reactions: Dewitt and groutguy

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
I was under the impression that they didn't block the ip, they just didn't charge a "click" to your account after the initial click from any given ip address, meaning the traffic data would still show in google analytics. After reading further into this on the google forums, you are right, it is a problem that they do not take serious enough and it is a problem many others encounter. Evidently their filters don't work too well, and why would they make this a priority to fix when it would be less money for them?

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
I think I read somewhere that Google brings in something like a billion dollars a month in adword revenue.If they refunded even 8-9 % of the bad clicks, it would cost them a billion dollars a year in revenue.

It's just not in their best interest to give a damn where the clicks come from.I mean what are you going to do, threaten to go to Bing or Yahoo.

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
So I've recently had my AdWords campaign going and was doing reasonably well $3 for every $1 spent. Lately over past two weeks my views have skyrocketed from @200 a day to @2000 a day, my clicks went from @2 a day with 1 phone conversion to @10 a day and ZERO phone calls, so i switched from adwords express to adwords so i would have more control, cut out all the window shopping, kept the same ad, eliminated every thing except search engine view only. Now my ad is back down on views @700 today but still ZERO clicks and ZERO calls. Something smells fishy. Same ad that was getting clicks and calls now no clicks, no calls but @500-700 views a day. Any thoughts?
"Lately over past two weeks my views have skyrocketed from @200 a day to @2000 a day" - sounds like you made some changes right before that happened. Check your history reports and see what changes you made, sometimes small changes make big difference. I am guessing by views you mean impressions, right? If you get a lot of impressions and no clicks, may be your ad shows up on page 2 or 3 and thus you get no clicks. What is your average position for your best performing keywords? What is the quality score for the same keywords - in general if the quality score is below 5 it's considered low. Sounds like the CTRs are very low too. CTR lower than 1 is considered low. Try the split test - write another ad with some small changes in wording and run both ads at the same time and see which one performs better.
Make you ads stand out - if you have USPs - try to put them in your ad. Put some promotions, discounts, coupons etc. Make sure you put your keywords in your add too - it will increase their quality scores.
Make sure your campaign is well organized - different adgroups for the different services with dedicated landing pages.

Good luck!

P.s. Make sure you use negative keywords like "how to" or "free". You don't want your ad to show up to somebody looking how to clean his carpets DIY.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
"Lately over past two weeks my views have skyrocketed from @200 a day to @2000 a day" - sounds like you made some changes right before that happened. Check your history reports and see what changes you made, sometimes small changes make big difference. I am guessing by views you mean impressions, right? If you get a lot of impressions and no clicks, may be your ad shows up on page 2 or 3 and thus you get no clicks. What is your average position for your best performing keywords? What is the quality score for the same keywords - in general if the quality score is below 5 it's considered low. Sounds like the CTRs are very low too. CTR lower than 1 is considered low. Try the split test - write another ad with some small changes in wording and run both ads at the same time and see which one performs better.
Make you ads stand out - if you have USPs - try to put them in your ad. Put some promotions, discounts, coupons etc. Make sure you put your keywords in your add too - it will increase their quality scores.
Make sure your campaign is well organized - different adgroups for the different services with dedicated landing pages.

Good luck!

P.s. Make sure you use negative keywords like "how to" or "free". You don't want your ad to show up to somebody looking how to clean his carpets DIY.
Thats why I'm upset. There were no changes on my end. Google decided on their own to start showing my ad everywhere. So I moved to AdWords from express and changed it to search engine only. Now based on recent click traffic it appears possibly a clickbot is involved

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States

Good luck!

I am confused by your ps statements. Can you clarify?

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
Thats why I'm upset. There were no changes on my end. Google decided on their own to start showing my ad everywhere. So I moved to AdWords from express and changed it to search engine only. Now based on recent click traffic it appears possibly a clickbot is involved
If you were running Express and Google for no reason started showing your ad on the Display network (which is enabled by default when you start AdWords capmaign) - I would stay away from it.

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
What do you mean by ps statements?
Make sure you use negative keywords like "how to" or "free". You don't want your ad to show up to somebody looking how to clean his carpets DIY.

This statement you made confused me. It says you want to use negative keywords, but you don't want the ad to show up for a diy er. :confused:

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
Make sure you use negative keywords like "how to" or "free". You don't want your ad to show up to somebody looking how to clean his carpets DIY.

This statement you made confused me. It says you want to use negative keywords, but you don't want the ad to show up for a diy er. :confused:
If you insert the negative keyword "how to" your ad wouldn't show up when somebody makes a search for something like:
"How to clean my carpets". Apparently such a person is looking to do his/her carpets on his/her own and is not a potential customer. I would not want to pay Google $5-10 for a click like this. If I wanted to do brand awareness I would probably try the Display network. Does it make sense now?

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
If you insert the negative keyword "how to" your ad wouldn't show up when somebody makes a search for something like:
"How to clean my carpets". Apparently such a person is looking to do his/her carpets on his/her own and is not a potential customer. I would not want to pay Google $5-10 for a click like this. If I wanted to do brand awareness I would probably try the Display network. Does it make sense now?

Ok, so you DON'T want to use negative keywords... Your p.s. statement says to USE them. Am I correct in understanding this. You forgot the DON'T. RIght?:)

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
Ok, so you DON'T want to use negative keywords... Your p.s. statement says to USE them. Am I correct in understanding this. You forgot the DON'T. RIght?:)
You DO want to use negative keywords, otherwise you will get clicks from folks who really aren't even looking for a professional carpet cleaner.

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
You DO want to use negative keywords to prevent your ads from showing on irrelevant searches. I am not sure you understand how negative keywords work. Check out this links:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Add-negative-keywords-to-prevent-your-ads-from-showing-on/ba-p/374326

Hope this helps!

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States