Ammonia and bleach | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Ammonia and bleach

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
So about 3 weeks ago someone in my Facebook feed was bragging and joking about cleaning her bathroom and said she was just going to mix a bunch of cleaners together and start scrubbing. I don't know her but commented that this was a dangerous idea. A day later she posted the coctail smelled supper bad but it cleaned up great. Again I commented this was not funny and dangerous.
Now 3 weeks goes by and she post she has not been feeling well and went to doctor. Her lungs are burnt and has fluid in her lungs, this could now be a life long helth problem.
But don't listen to me I
am just a stupid carpet cleaner.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I go through this a lot with my guys, some of them think they're home chemists and start mixing stuff up when they really ought to just leave it alone.

Most notoriously, thanks to the interwebz, if you mix plain old household white vinegar (acetic acid) with drug-store hydrogen peroxide, you can get a nice little disinfectant at about 2-3% dilution that's generally safe enough for any homeowner to use... but if you take professional or industrial grade versions of the two and mix them (9-20% or higher), the peracetic acid released becomes a lethal cloud of lung-destroying gas that will kill you by the time you realize you've screwed up.

If the chemist who designed it doesn't specifically tell you it's okay to add such-n-such to the chemical, here's a tip - DON'T. Sure, you might get a faster clean out of it... but what's it doing to you and your lungs/skin/brain/customer's kids in the process? It's not worth the tradeoff.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
So about 3 weeks ago someone in my Facebook feed was bragging and joking about cleaning her bathroom and said she was just going to mix a bunch of cleaners together and start scrubbing. I don't know her but commented that this was a dangerous idea. A day later she posted the coctail smelled supper bad but it cleaned up great. Again I commented this was not funny and dangerous.
Now 3 weeks goes by and she post she has not been feeling well and went to doctor. Her lungs are burnt and has fluid in her lungs, this could now be a life long helth problem.
But don't listen to me I
You can't stop stupidity. I had a customer a number of years back who mixed bleach with a powerful degreaser called Mean Green. He wound up in the ER pretty quick! Nearly killed him and ruined his carpet on top of that, and I mean ALL their carpet in their home. They called me to try and "fix the problem", but it really was beyond fixing. I also remember back years ago when I did floor stripping and waxing that a guy mixed ammonia with floor stripper for some extra kick. Well, it kicked him right into the ER! Fortunately for him we worked at a medical building with a 24 hour ER service cause he might have killed his fool self.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I go through this a lot with my guys, some of them think they're home chemists and start mixing stuff up when they really ought to just leave it alone.

Most notoriously, thanks to the interwebz, if you mix plain old household white vinegar (acetic acid) with drug-store hydrogen peroxide, you can get a nice little disinfectant at about 2-3% dilution that's generally safe enough for any homeowner to use... but if you take professional or industrial grade versions of the two and mix them (9-20% or higher), the peracetic acid released becomes a lethal cloud of lung-destroying gas that will kill you by the time you realize you've screwed up.

If the chemist who designed it doesn't specifically tell you it's okay to add such-n-such to the chemical, here's a tip - DON'T. Sure, you might get a faster clean out of it... but what's it doing to you and your lungs/skin/brain/customer's kids in the process? It's not worth the tradeoff.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
You can't stop stupidity. I had a customer a number of years back who mixed bleach with a powerful degreaser called Mean Green. He wound up in the ER pretty quick! Nearly killed him and ruined his carpet on top of that, and I mean ALL their carpet in their home. They called me to try and "fix the problem", but it really was beyond fixing. I also remember back years ago when I did floor stripping and waxing that a guy mixed ammonia with floor stripper for some extra kick. Well, it kicked him right into the ER! Fortunately for him we worked at a medical building with a 24 hour ER service cause he might have killed his fool self.
Incredible.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock

Let us not forget that the second mixing option works great a dealing with problematic cats

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
But don't listen to me I
Unreal...SMDH

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
someone was telling me the other day they use stripper with a little ammonia for tile and grout cleaning

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
someone was telling me the other day they use stripper with a little ammonia for tile and grout cleaning
I don't think they make ammonia stripper anymore if they do I have not seen it,,, stuff was strong though....

as the finishes changed so did the stripper,,, Now I use ncl barebones on bad bad bad grout that needs it but I can say wasn't me that said that !!!

Reactions: Travis Teague

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
The guy I mentioned must have put a lot in and it was industrial strength. I don't remember him ever coming back to work. I took over the floor strip and wax some time after that and did it for several years. I only used the provided wax stripper according to directions and it cut that wax like it was nothing. Never a problem with it.