Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
There might be an issue with targeting the next gen using the same strategies that worked on their parents.

This is why I'm such a strong supporter of innovation.

Has anybody seen what's happening to brands like McDonald's, sears, he'll even Harley Davidson.

This is yet another change that'd upon us

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Sears lost their lowest cost advantage with expensive real estate and inefficient purchasing and distribution. The super efficient Walmart buying distribution and selling practices overwhelmed them. Harley saturated and oversold their fad. When over half the items you sell do not get used---how many Harleys 5 years old with less than 5000 miles---your market will disappear.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Sears lost their lowest cost advantage with expensive real estate and inefficient purchasing and distribution. The super efficient Walmart buying distribution and selling practices overwhelmed them. Harley saturated and oversold their fad. When over half the items you sell do not get used---how many Harleys 5 years old with less than 5000 miles---your market will disappear.
Correct. They failed to adapt & innovate.

Think about the DRASTIC change in home ownership & even more so the shift in how it's perceived.

You have a generation that either saw their nest egg vaporize with the housing market or this NEW generation that saw it happen to their parents & who don't place high value on home ownership.

I spend more time with realtors in a week than most do in a year.

These are all game changers & the wise will tool up to accommodate

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Correct. They failed to adapt & innovate.

Think about the DRASTIC change in home ownership & even more so the shift in how it's perceived.

You have a generation that either saw their nest egg vaporize with the housing market or this NEW generation that saw it happen to their parents & who don't place high value on home ownership.

I spend more time with realtors in a week than most do in a year.

These are all game changers & the wise will tool up to accommodate
You're Right on the money Chris..and as History does what HISTORY DOES..The NEXT 'Bubble' aint too far away!

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Sears was bought by a hedge fund manager who doesnt GAS about the retail business.
He bought it because they own a $hitload of real estate.

Reactions: owenscott

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Sears was bought by a hedge fund manager who doesnt GAS about the retail business.
Exactly. Eddie Lampert put the "brands" Kenmore etc. in a separate holding co. or something as well . Lands End is gone and Sears continues to devolve . Can't remember the last time I was in one.
Years ago .
All the Best, Ed

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
The point is you cant draw parallel's and make conclusions from these large macro businesses and trends to our crappy little world.
Its completely different

Well you can, its a free country.
BUT you'd be wrong...

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
The point is you cant draw parallel's and make conclusions from these large macro businesses and trends to our crappy little world.
Its completely different

Well you can, its a free country.
BUT you'd be wrong...
Pays to keep an eye on things but everybody's situation is different.
My wife and I are in this age group but very different from our peers when it comes to spending and saving. Most still have a mortgage and we do not etc. Shane is correct that you can't always make the macro trend relate. JMHO.
All the Best, Ed

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
My targets:

- People with money.
- People with carpet/tile/stone/upholstery.
LOL !! True that Jose ! Was watching "Devil Anse "Hatfield tell his son in the mini series "there's them that has and them that don't " .
"My aim is to do business with THEM THAT HAS " .
Never forgot it !
All the Best, Ed

Reactions: Jose Holguin
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Sears failed to innovate & failed to bring value to the marketplace long before they were bought out.

This failure led to competitors surpassing them which led to the desperate series of events you described

Reactions: Gasoline

Mardie

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Mardie VanBree
There might be an issue with targeting the next gen using the same strategies that worked on their parents.

This is why I'm such a strong supporter of innovation.

Has anybody seen what's happening to brands like McDonald's, sears, he'll even Harley Davidson.

This is yet another change that'd upon us
You cannot compare a commodity market to a service market.

Reactions: Common janitor
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
You cannot compare a commodity market to a service market.
Irrespective of the "deliverable" (the product, commodity or service) ALL businesses are the same. It's only the deliverable that is different.

Regardless of deliverable, ALL businesses engage in the following core functions

1. Lead Generation (marketing, getting clients)
2. Lead monetization ( sales/closing the deal)
3. Lead Annuitization (generating repeat & referral business)

So yes, within that context, comparisons are valid

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Exactly, I'm in an expensive part of the US... A 25 year old is working full-time and living at mom's house still because rent is $1200-1300 for anything decent.
Exactly... These kids ain't gaining traction like those in generations past.

That compounded with the fact that they can't afford to save any money because they don't have any left over.

& I'm talking about those with 4 yr degrees & full time jobs

Nick Miladinov

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Nick Miladinov
Exactly... These kids ain't gaining traction like those in generations past.

That compounded with the fact that they can't afford to save any money because they don't have any left over.

& I'm talking about those with 4 yr degrees & full time jobs
Yes, but you can actually live down in ATL, Houston, Orlando and make ends meet.... I'm in the suburbs of NYC and it's not possible! I have friends all over the US and I know how much they make. They all own homes when they were in their 20's. It's impossible by my neck of the woods..

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Yes, but you can actually live down in ATL, Houston, Orlando and make ends meet.... I'm in the suburbs of NYC and it's not possible! I have friends all over the US and I know how much they make. They all own homes when they were in their 20's. It's impossible by my neck of the woods..
One of the reasons being, is that our generation is evolving in the renters economy, instead of the mortgage economy (1980s-90s).

Which is one reason, I'm trying so desperately to evolve my skills and business into having a branch of property ownership/management. I'm in the process now, of working out a deal to start owning a rental house. And I'm going to make it a goal to add on a duplex/house every 5-7years. I feel that we all should do that, considering we have the equipment and skills to maintain/repair the house ourselves.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
One of the reasons being, is that our generation is evolving in the renters economy, instead of the mortgage economy (1980s-90s).

Which is one reason, I'm trying so desperately to evolve my skills and business into having a branch of property ownership/management. I'm in the process now, of working out a deal to start owning a rental house. And I'm going to make it a goal to add on a duplex/house every 5-7years. I feel that we all should do that, considering we have the equipment and skills to maintain/repair the house ourselves.
Shoot for mid to upper level renters. Try to avoid the section 8 class. Less damage to your property = less stress.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Shoot for mid to upper level renters. Try to avoid the section 8 class. Less damage to your property = less stress.
I agree. I'm in the market for some little 2bedroom houses in neighborhoods where the 1st time buyers live. THere's a couple areas that I'm looking at that were the ghetto 10 years ago, but the city cleaned it up, and there's some old houses in there that would sell for $10k, and all it would need is about $10k in updates.

Latest posts