Best duel purpose portable | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Best duel purpose portable

scannon0521

Oct 15, 2019
Real Name
Cannon
I used to own and operate a mobile detailing and pressure washing service. We also cleaned upholstery. I operated for ten years. My machine was the mytee lite 8070. It was a good machine but the heater couldn't keep up unless you filled the machine with hot water to begin with. I sold the business to take a job with a prominent steel manufacturer. The pay is outstanding but I sacrifice too much time away from my family and am thinking about going into carpet and hard surface cleaning. I would also be doing upholstery and furniture. My question to you is, if money was no object and you were starting from scratch, what equipment would you buy. I like the mytee ltd 12 but it doesn't have heat. I'm also looking at the t rex and tile spinners. I know you guys are going to scream truck mount but I think portable would work best for me. I want the absolute best of everything so that I can set myself apart from the rest. So please from extractor to wands to chem, what would you buy if you had the opportunity to build one from scratch.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Nautilus and Ninja both have great reputations in our area for durability and performance. If I had a 500-psi of either model, I could probably be comfortable running a 2-jet wand or even a smallish rotary like a 360i (with plenty of dry strokes). With the brush head on my rotary, plus good heat from the unit, I wouldn't feel the need for 1000-1200 psi.

Reactions: scannon0521

scannon0521

Oct 15, 2019
Real Name
Cannon
I really feel like I need the 1000 plus psi capability for tile, but heat is a must for carpet in my opinion. I should have added that I'm a big fan of Mytee, that little 8070 served me well in the detailing industry.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Finding a portable that can both produce high pressure AND has enough heat (and vacuum) to deal with flow rates higher than 200-300 psi may be tricky (not to mention expensive). Honestly I can't think of one that offers all the features desired that has ever gotten positive reviews in this area. Maybe someone elsewhere has heard of one that suits your needs!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I really feel like I need the 1000 plus psi capability for tile, but heat is a must for carpet in my opinion. I should have added that I'm a big fan of Mytee, that little 8070 served me well in the detailing industry.
Electric heat and high flow pump? Aint gonna happen. The heater will never recover. One or the other. Higher flow preferably especially with tile.

Reactions: StevenB. and Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I think the water hog and the air hog is the best bet for you, just set up the little giant heater in your truck you are good to go. Gekko tile wand with brush head is the best for residential, get a nice wand like the mytee bentley will add ease to your back.

Reactions: Bob Savage

scannon0521

Oct 15, 2019
Real Name
Cannon
Will need a diesel heater or propane heater to accompany your portable. Water / air hog combo up to 1200psi for tile and vac is strong.
After looking at every site imaginable, I fear that you are correct. I thought about getting the external heater to pair with the ltd 12, but now the problem is having enough power to operate. The machine already requires two separate 110 circuits. Maybe building a cord two split 220 down to 2 110 circuits. That would solve the power problem but what else would I encounter. I really didn't want to drag cords and hoses from the trailer across the lawn and through the home.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
After looking at every site imaginable, I fear that you are correct. I thought about getting the external heater to pair with the ltd 12, but now the problem is having enough power to operate. The machine already requires two separate 110 circuits. Maybe building a cord two split 220 down to 2 110 circuits. That would solve the power problem but what else would I encounter. I really didn't want to drag cords and hoses from the trailer across the lawn and through the home.
..generator in the van.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Really dont want to go 3 cords. 2 is bad enough with hoses. You can split 220 into 2 20a circuits. But better to just buy it. Otherwise youll need to order breakers, box, cord, plug, outlets. Said and done costs the same as buying it from mytee. Down side is which one is most common in your area 3 prong or 4 prong dryer. Electric heat will work on low flow jobs like upholstry. Or spot cleaning stairs maybe with that pump. Tile if you want heat you have to go with fuel-kerosene or propane.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Man get a truckmount, if I lived in the states I would get one because things are more affordable down there, you guys have this opportunity. If you will clean a lot of commercial first second levels for productivity a tm is the way to go. There are tm for less then 15k for brand new, that is very affordable. Here in Canada ss370 starts from 35k.

scannon0521

Oct 15, 2019
Real Name
Cannon
Really dont want to go 3 cords. 2 is bad enough with hoses. You can split 220 into 2 20a circuits. But better to just buy it. Otherwise youll need to order breakers, box, cord, plug, outlets. Said and done costs the same as buying it from mytee. Down side is which one is most common in your area 3 prong or 4 prong dryer. Electric heat will work on low flow jobs like upholstry. Or spot cleaning stairs maybe with that pump. Tile if you want heat you have to go with fuel-kerosene or propane.
So basically I could get a northstar hot water pressure washer/ wet steamer and a flood vac , a couple of poly tanks and build a truck mount mount in a trailer. Does that sound feasible, that way the heated water source could be duel purpose and be able to pressure wash as well. The cat pumps can adjust from 100 psi to 4000, just need to install a high quality gauge to accurately adjust psi. Just a thought.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Man get a truckmount, if I lived in the states I would get one because things are more affordable down there, you guys have this opportunity. If you will clean a lot of commercial first second levels for productivity a tm is the way to go. There are tm for less then 15k for brand new, that is very affordable. Here in Canada ss370 starts from 35k.
Yeah you might be right for all I got into it after the fact I might have just gone out and gotten a smaller Truck mount - maybe even used.

But I can't be pissed because coming in I didn't know whatI didnt know and now that I have a little experience and getting more I have these revelations.

You live and learn. Just gotta survive through this first winter because I know year over year it will build..

Reactions: Fedri

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Truckmount. Unfortunately what you want out of a certain amount of amps and cords isnt physically possible. Portables have their place, but not simple, high heat, high pressure setups. It just doesn't add up no matter how hard you try.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Truckmount. Unfortunately what you want out of a certain amount of amps and cords isnt physically possible. Portables have their place, but not simple, high heat, high pressure setups. It just doesn't add up no matter how hard you try.
Gotta agree. To set up a portable system to meet your requirements, by the time all is said and done, you probably will have spent as much as if you had bought a truck mount, and your system of portables will be clumsy and overly complicated.
If you are set on portables, I'm running the Nautilus Extreme. It has very high vacuum ratings and a 1.2 gpm 500psi pump. Filled with hot tap water it has done an excellent job on all cleaning situations I've encountered so far. I mix my chemicals a little stronger and allow a few more minutes of dwell time to compensate for the low heat. Next month I'm set to buy the Mytee Hot Shot for when I feel I need that extra heat but given the flow rate of the pump I expect this to only boost me to about 180 degrees, which is fine, I don't see the need for more. I plan to add a Mytee Water Hog for when I want to do jobs that require that 1200psi pressure. I think this will be the simplest most versatile set up but I don't believe it's going to get you the kind of water temps you want.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
You can make a killer portable setup. PumpTec or Mytee high pressure pump, 2 vac portable (preferably a 2 vac portable in series) and a Little Giant LP heater. Run a single power cord to the van for the pump.

Mount the LG on a cart - it can stay in the van, or go inside.

Years ago I had a high pressure pump and LG heater in the van, and took the vac unit inside to reduce distance. It's no problem running 200' of steam line inside when you take the vac unit inside, or run it all from the van if the vac unit is strong enough.

Electricity for heat is not usually a good idea because it still won't be as hot as diesel, and it would require at least 2 additional electrical circuits for a total of 4 separate circuits!

Latest posts