Billing on Fire Restoration | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Billing on Fire Restoration

mrkbcknr

Oct 17, 2019
Real Name
Mark Buckner
When we do fire mitigation in a home with heavy soot and water damage from the fire department, we always charge CAT 3 for extraction, demo, etc. Do any of you get push back from insurance carriers on charging CAT 3?

We all know fire/smoke/soot is carcinogenic and therefore meets the CAT 3 definition in the IICRC S520. However, the S520 does not specifically state this and the carrier is pushing back. If you've been successful in justifying it, how did you do so?

Vizip

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Rami Nader
When my Team and I do a fire restoration job, we dont consider it a cat 3 loss or charge as a cat 3 loss. If I was the adjuster I would honestly laugh at that scope. Cat 3 is typically used as unsanitary water or trauma events. In this case, you can only use heavy line items for fire restoration. Also, make sure you take advantage of using a Hydroxyl. Those things pay for themselves.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Weve gotten push back as well but they really dont have a leg to stand on. Everything a fire produces is a known and proven carcinogen. I told an adjuster once instead of me arguing that it was cat 3 he needed to prove to me and the homeowner it wasnt.... he paid cat 3 lol
How can they say the pic isnt cat 3

Attachments

Reactions: mrkbcknr

Vizip

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Rami Nader
Weve gotten push back as well but they really dont have a leg to stand on. Everything a fire produces is a known and proven carcinogen. I told an adjuster once instead of me arguing that it was cat 3 he needed to prove to me and the homeowner it wasnt.... he paid cat 3 lol
How can they say the pic isnt cat 3
Is there a mixture of water and debris? If so, I can see why he paid cat 3 lol. Definitely unsanitary.

Reactions: mrkbcknr and SRD

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
When my Team and I do a fire restoration job, we dont consider it a cat 3 loss or charge as a cat 3 loss. If I was the adjuster I would honestly laugh at that scope. Cat 3 is typically used as unsanitary water or trauma events. In this case, you can only use heavy line items for fire restoration. Also, make sure you take advantage of using a Hydroxyl. Those things pay for themselves.
Look at the above pic..... unsanitary water? Ya think?

Reactions: MikeGaure