Butler Help | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Butler Help

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
I just picked up this butler for cheap

It has not been cared for but runs fine.

4500 on the machine
109k on the van

It’s going to just be a backup for now.
The rockers are rusted but the floor of the van is good.

What maintenance items should I take care of?

I think the blower may be on its way out.
Can these be rebuilt?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
It has a New Hampshire plate so at least the van is (or was) fairly close to Butler.

First thing I would do if you think the blower is going is wash it out then give it a healthy dose of wd40.

Grease it enough for all the old grease to get pushed out of the other side.

Change the oil on the blower and pump.

New belts.

The Butlers I've worked on you don't need to grease the shaft but I'd look for fittings just in case.

Anything past this is out of my wheelhouse, they never really broke down enough for me to learn too much more about them.

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Do a search on Mak Saigers videos. He shows how to maintain and repair Butlers. He has 3 Butlers and knows a lot about them.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
Do a search on Mak Saigers videos. He shows how to maintain and repair Butlers. He has 3 Butlers and knows a lot about them.
Ok, good to know.

Does anyone have an idea of what an engine replacement cost?

I know the blower with be about 4K when the time comes.

I just want to plan for a worst case

GoldTipWand

Aug 24, 2019
Real Name
Stanled Steeemy
So I began working for this company and our butler system seems to have been neglected for at least the 3 years my owner has had it.

There is a massive build up of oil and drit sediment at the bottom of the waste tank I can't seem to get rid of. Our waste water is generally pitch black when I empty it, even if I just do one house.

Supposedly the only maintenance to the waste tank that's been done is pouring a gallon of bleach into it and letting it sit over the weekend maybe once every 3 months

What can I do to get the tank clean besides power spray it for hours on end?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
So I began working for this company and our butler system seems to have been neglected for at least the 3 years my owner has had it.

There is a massive build up of oil and drit sediment at the bottom of the waste tank I can't seem to get rid of. Our waste water is generally pitch black when I empty it, even if I just do one house.

Supposedly the only maintenance to the waste tank that's been done is pouring a gallon of bleach into it and letting it sit over the weekend maybe once every 3 months

What can I do to get the tank clean besides power spray it for hours on end?
Suck it out with a shop vac and long hose. Dump all the sludge straight into contractor bags and heave it. We used to do this to all our trucks once a year.

Reactions: GoldTipWand

Brad Lozeki

Mar 11, 2009
Hamilton, ON
Real Name
Brad Lozeki
Hello looking for some advice on this problem, any help would be appreciated.
We have replaced the heat exchanger, bleed the system, ran water in the system no issues, when we engage the pump pressure builds ( we hear a clicking noise) then drops right away, not sure what to try next thank you in advance, i can email a video, as the forums says it was to large to upload...

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
We have replaced the heat exchanger, bleed the system, ran water in the system no issues, when we engage the pump pressure builds ( we hear a clicking noise) then drops right away, not sure what to try next thank you in advance, i can email a video, as the forums says it was to large to upload...
Another thing to check would be the upper and lower seals on the cat pump head. Also check to see if the pistons are cracked at all. The head should come off with 8 allen wrench bolts on the front of it.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Did the clicking noise only appear after the heat exchanger rebuild or did you replace "other stuff"?