Carpet cleaners , the smartest guys on the block...

Jul 15, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Real Name
AJ Dedic
Business Location
United States
I was actually thinking about that the other day! I just got into carpet cleaning, and man... it's a lot of work! I have a handyman/construction business that didn't take any effort to expand rapidly within a year and a half -knock on wood- but carpet cleaning I'm having trouble getting one call a week! Carpet cleaners seriously have a sh*t load of things they need to be familiar with in order to succeed.

Sent from my HTCONE using TMF Forums mobile app

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Oh , I agree . We in the industry know how in depth our job is.
Sad thing is your average person looks at us like unskilled labours that throw water on the carpet and suck it up!
Not talking our loyal repeats and referrals or even new custy... Yup just the average Joe.
Hey I'm way past trying to impress someone about what I do for a living, and also realize its not cocktail talk!
Just my opinion ! I know many tradesmen that think because they have a "Ticket" their $hit doesn't stink!

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
I was actually thinking about that the other day! I just got into carpet cleaning, and man... it's a lot of work! I have a handyman/construction business that didn't take any effort to expand rapidly within a year and a half -knock on wood- but carpet cleaning I'm having trouble getting one call a week! Carpet cleaners seriously have a sh*t load of things they need to be familiar with in order to succeed.

Brother I couldn't agree more. I have a small home service/handyman business which took very little effort get off the ground and making money, and I started that when the economy was at it's worst !

Carpet cleaning has been the single hardest venture I've been involved with, I wish I never got involved with it.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
You dont have to be smart to splash water on a carpet and suck it up but the level of knowledge and skill that it takes to be the best we can be is far above that of the average lawyer. Thats why we get payed more then a lot of them ;)

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Brother I couldn't agree more. I have a small home service/handyman business which took very little effort get off the ground and making money, and I started that when the economy was at it's worst !

Carpet cleaning has been the single hardest venture I've been involved with, I wish I never got involved with it.
This may explain why your getting out ;)

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
You dont have to be smart to splash water on a carpet and suck it up but the level of knowledge and skill that it takes to be the best we can be is far above that of the average lawyer. Thats why we get payed more then a lot of them ;)
I've been involved with a few lawyers for patent issues and a land dispute, and I can tell you they can be some of the dumbest people I've ever encountered.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
In what other trade do you have to know Marketing,sales, face to face customer service, chemistry,Small engine repair/maintenance,How to use the tools and repair and maintenance them, have a diversified set of skills,ECT ECT, ????
Most truckmount operators do a hell of a lot more then just cleaning carpet. and we are constantly adding new services to our industry. who in their right mind would say we dont have to be smart to do this?
We are geniuses in every since of the word I bet most of us could build a rocket if we had a set of blueprints and the materials to do it.

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States

Great that makes me feel much better AJ -

Jul 15, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Real Name
AJ Dedic
Business Location
United States

I'm not to the point where I wish I never got involved with it, I'm still trying to learn as much as possible to get the business going in the right direction.. we'll see where I'm at in two years, hopefully where I want to be. Are you planning on keeping the carpet cleaning bus. going or focus on the handyman?

Jul 15, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Real Name
AJ Dedic
Business Location
United States
Great that makes me feel much better AJ -
I'm guessing you're in the same boat? If so, maybe we can talk about different ways that we try to get our businesses going/getting more calls. I'm trying out a few things I learned/in the process of learning from a member on here.. we'll see if it'll work for me.

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
I'm not to the point where I wish I never got involved with it, I'm still trying to learn as much as possible to get the business going in the right direction.. we'll see where I'm at in two years, hopefully where I want to be. Are you planning on keeping the carpet cleaning bus. going or focus on the handyman?

Oddly enough I started the CC business to expand and work in conjunction with the home service business. I've found I don't have the time or energy to focus on both, plus a 3rd venture I have going on. I'm certain with enough time and effort I could make the CC work, however at this time everything else is suffering while I obsess over making the CC work.....something has to go.

Jul 15, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Real Name
AJ Dedic
Business Location
United States
Oddly enough I started the CC business to expand and work in conjunction with the home service business. I've found I don't have the time or energy to focus on both, plus a 3rd venture I have going on. I'm certain with enough time and effort I could make the CC work, however at this time everything else is suffering while I obsess over making the CC work.....something has to go.

Definitely makes sense. I did the same, currently I do handyman with my dad my mom cleans residential and 2 commercial accts - that's the first business. The second business (Carpet cleaning and water resto) was opened to expand and hopefully start hiring employees outside of family. Well see how it goes, and I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, and wish you the best of luck in your other businesses!

AZ cleaner

Jun 8, 2013
Real Name
Gary Yowell
there`s a lawyer within my close family.....I promise you your not making more than him;)

Deco

Aug 25, 2013
Texas
Real Name
Eric Rhodes
Who besides carpet cleaners have to know so much about everything? Marketing, SEO, repair & maintenance , salesmanship , chemistry , etc, etc. WE ARE FUKING BRILLIANT!
Lol.

You have a good list going, I will try to round it out, starting with your picks towards the top.

CC/OO's wanted
Skills desired:

Marketing
Social Media
SEO
Repair
Maintenance
In home sales
Business to business sales
Phone sales
Chemistry
Bookkeeping
Customer service
Management
Carpet cleaning and dying
Carpet repair
Carpet installation
Area rug cleaning
Upholstery and fabric cleaning
Tile and Grout Cleaning
Stone and hard surface specialty cleaning
Hardwood cleaning and restoration
Water damage restoration
Mold remidification
Fire and smoke damage restoration
Auto detailing
Pressure washing
Concrete cleaning and sealing
Crime scene clean up

Even writing that seems like a lot... I don't even know all that stuff :confused:. I obviously left out some things, but that is my first take. Seems like I have the bases covered but each area requires plenty of study, patience and help as we all know.

But yeah, we aren't as dumb as we look. :D

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States
The fact that anyone can buy a TM, put an ad on craigslist, and start making money, makes me question the brilliance of carpet cleaners...

I think the successful cleaners would probably be successful whether they are scrubbing carpet or own a flower shop. The intelligent/profitable business owners usually have the "knack" that whatever they do, they are successful..

Reactions: rob allen

Latest posts