Carpet cleaners , the smartest guys on the block... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet cleaners , the smartest guys on the block...

Deco

Aug 25, 2013
Texas
Real Name
Eric Rhodes
Y
Yeah, I didn't mean to say we make the most $$, just that we have to have a diverse skill set. The renaissance men of the service industry.
I remember when I took my 8 week old puppy into the vet and we talk about all sorts of things including how I could be so much more in life and how I had to clean a few rentals house the next day... cleaning up after people, what has become of my ambition.

He said (I'll paraphrase) "Eric, I am a highly train doctor of veterinary medicine and I have my finger up your dog's butt."

It isn't glamorous, it isn't rocket science but this field does attract some really smart and hard working people who like to learn. I am proud to be back in this industry. TMF, some new colleagues and even people like you Mike, have made it this way.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys. This subject has really helped me enjoy my cup of coffee this morning. That little boost of self-esteem is going to give me more energy to do that airduct job today. Ya'll are the BOMB!:cool:

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
My best friend is a high paid lawyer, he make twice what I make but hates every aspect of his job.
I get up every morning and enjoy my job. Even my wife hates when the week end is over. not me!!

Reactions: rob allen

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
The fact that anyone can buy a TM, put an ad on craigslist, and start making money, makes me question the brilliance of carpet cleaners...

I think the successful cleaners would probably be successful whether they are scrubbing carpet or own a flower shop. The intelligent/profitable business owners usually have the "knack" that whatever they do, they are successful..
100% true. Solid business fundamentals, the ability to be creative and not quit are very important. I have 2 engineering degrees and am a disgraced corporate Director and have found this biz to be challenging for the last 6 years.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: StevenB.

Ivan C.

Nov 23, 2010
KY
Real Name
Ivan Childers
Business Location
United States
I tried craigslist, only got 2 jobs from that. Facebook is were its at! And I'm not joking either, most of my work comes from facebook.

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
Just being honest here.... You have to define "carpet cleaner".

You don't have to be brilliant to squirt water on carpet and suck it up. Any hack can do this and put $5 per room signs up.

To be a successful carpet cleaner though, I think you do need to have some smarts. From marketing, repairs, and knowing the process of cleaning is all important. Also the chemistry. PLUS you need to know how to sell when you get to a home. Also, you need to know how to talk to people, dress nice, look professional, etc. etc.

Along with all of this you have to be physically fit.

We all have our traits, strengths, and weaknesses...

My biggest weakness in this business is I HATE talking on the phone. The physical I don't mind, the repairs and mechanics I like.... The process is cool, and watching the carpets get clean is great. I REALLY hate the first contact phone calls..... I also don't really care for the sell process either. But I try to put on a good act to seem enthusiastic and positive in order to complete that part of the job. Other than that it's game on.

Part time is going okay. I have the gear and enjoy the process.

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
I tried craigslist, only got 2 jobs from that. Facebook is were its at! And I'm not joking either, most of my work comes from facebook.
Interesting what works for some guys doesn't work for others. I get on average 10 jobs a week from Craigslist. The only Facebook jobs I get are friends and family so I'm constantly having people add me who knew me way back when asking for deals. It's annoying.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
Who besides carpet cleaners have to know so much about everything? Marketing, SEO, repair & maintenance , salesmanship , chemistry , etc, etc. WE ARE FUKING BRILLIANT!
1. marketing - We are typically so stupid that we spend a dollar for every dollar we get back in work and think we are breaking even.

2. SEO - Most of us pay a complete nerd to jerk us off about getting on page 1 of Google @ $500 a month and finally figure out that we are being reamed after a year of failure and disappointment.

3. repair & maintenance - cut and glue; a 2nd grader can master this sort of sophistication.

4. salesmanship - Since when does "I'm the best, I promise", followed by humiliating begging and groping, rate as good salesmanship?

5. Chemistry - Dump some of this powder in and if it still looks like a sh1t hole, dump whatever else you have in that sh1tcan pot van and pretend you know what you are doing and have never blown yourself up. Hardly chemistry experts and no different than the average hillbilly blowing off fireworks on July 4th and calling himself a missile engineer.

Nah, lets not bullsh1t ourselves. We are merely a batch of misfits who couldn't hold a real job and finally got fed up with the other jackasses in the world.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Simple. The reason why we have to be so smart in our industry is full of hacks. No other industry has so many hacks who dilute their 50% market share. And the 50% of the market thinks they can clean their own carpet.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Wait a minute ... I got into this for the very reason that you don't have to be very smart.

What planet do YOU guys live on?
Don't sell yourself short. Your the smartest ass I know.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
1. marketing - We are typically so stupid that we spend a dollar for every dollar we get back in work and think we are breaking even.

2. SEO - Most of us pay a complete nerd to jerk us off about getting on page 1 of Google @ $500 a month and finally figure out that we are being reamed after a year of failure and disappointment.

3. repair & maintenance - cut and glue; a 2nd grader can master this sort of sophistication.

4. salesmanship - Since when is "I'm the best, I promise", followed by humiliating begging and groping, rate as good salesmanship?

5. Chemistry - Dump some of this powder in and if it still looks like a sh1t hole, dump whatever else you have in that sh1tcan pot van and pretend you know what you are doing and have never blown yourself up. Hardly chemistry experts and no different than the average hillbilly blowing off fireworks on July 4th and calling himself a missile engineer.

Nah, lets not bullsh1t ourselves. We are merely a batch of misfits who couldn't hold a real job and finally got fed up with the other jackasses in the world.
Just when we were having a nice circle jerk.... you gotta piss on our parade!
Man I was just losing my complex too!

Reactions: Troyster

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Interesting what works for some guys doesn't work for others. I get on average 10 jobs a week from Craigslist. The only Facebook jobs I get are friends and family so I'm constantly having people add me who knew me way back when asking for deals. It's annoying.
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to seos, flashy sites, backlinks etc. I'm finding success getting invited to your target audience private groups to be beneficial. For instance the yardseller sites the friends of tmf, friends of the city of your choice. I put items for sell to advertise my business without breaking the rules and getting my post scorned or kicked. For instance I have an extra almost new 20 inch monitor that I don't use. I'd like to get rid of it and a whole lot of other stuff as well.:cool: I'm not allowed to advertise my business on say plumas lake yardseller. I made a flyer for eddm it's simple it's to the point and it works.I took a pic of the Flyer displayed it on the screen of the monitor pictured. I use other similar stategies but that one has really done well. I consider the monitor as my loss leader. I don't really want to sell it:D I'm hoping to keep using it as a promo. If it sells I'll buy another new one and try it again.:D
2013-08-19 13.31.49.jpg

Reactions: Deco

Deco

Aug 25, 2013
Texas
Real Name
Eric Rhodes
Is this how you operate?

Is this what "most" O/O's do?

Carpet repair and equipment maintenance, lol after the 2 grader has a decent skill set in either he prob. won't have enough fingers left over to do any work.

4. salesmanship - Since when is "I'm the best, I promise", followed by humiliating begging and groping, rate as good salesmanship?
So that is your pitch? Maybe work on that. :D

Good comparison. Remind me to get a van up and running in your area to spare your clients of a sh1t attitude.

I know you probably weren't being completely serious, maybe you were.

Truth is it takes all kinds, just like most every other profession.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
I had to pick my daughter up for school.:)I wanted to finish explaining my vision of how this might work for any of us. One I had no idea if it would work or not. I should have taken a better picture without the glare:oops: The key is getting invited to the private (targeted) groups and being a good neighbor. I will be doing the conventional facebook marketing as well. I'm kind of waiting on my 15 year old daughter to show me how to use facebook correctly.:D She's going to be in charge of social networking soon. My wife has a regular job and we both want her to learn some job skills and good work habits in some of her spare time.

Reactions: Gasoline

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Is this how you operate?

Carpet repair and equipment maintenance, lol after the 2 grader has a decent skill set in either he prob. won't have enough fingers left over to do any work.

Good comparison. Remind me to get a van up and running in your area to spare your clients of a sh1t attitude.

match meet fire:D

Ivan C.

Nov 23, 2010
KY
Real Name
Ivan Childers
Business Location
United States
Maybe I just put my add in the wrong section on craigslist, but what section are you guys using that are getting 10 plus jobs a week from craigslist? I put my add in the section of "household services". Only calls I get from it are telamarketers that claim they can "boost" my business lol. I have gotten 2-3 jobs from it over about 2 yrs. I do live in a smaller town not a big city so that could have something to do with it.
As far as facebook, my county has a page "For Sale in --- County", it has thousands of members. I post a add on there a few times a week and get lots of response from it. My competition has found the page and been putting his adds over mine, but that and my friends on facebook reshare the add on there page and before you know it, my add is on many other pages. Saturday I actually got a call from a woman in Florida that seen my add and her sister lived close to me in my county so she booked her a job.
I am curious about this craiglist stuff though. If your getting good results from it, inbox me, Id love to talk about how it works for you. Lord knows I could use more work.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Is this how you operate?

That's just Deron being funny , he takes his job very serious.
He's just still pissed off that he wasn't even considered for " TMF's Cleaner of the Year!"

Deco

Aug 25, 2013
Texas
Real Name
Eric Rhodes
That's just Deron being funny , he takes his job very serious.
He's just still pissed off that he wasn't even considered for " TMF's Cleaner of the Year!"
Then it was fault for being an azzhole. :) Thanks for clearing that up.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Is this how you operate?

Deron says very little that he means to be taken seriously, especially when he boasts about bedding his gnarly ho-bags.:D

Reactions: Deco