Cat pump

arnold

Sep 10, 2015
north Carolina
Real Name
Arnold myers
Business Location
United States
Im changing my oil in the cat pump and was wondering how much oil to put in.its got a bubble on the side of it with a red mark in the middle

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Fill it do the red dot and watch it every day...
It can get soot on the outside and be hard to see...
I burned one up because I couldn't see the oil.....and let it run down...should last 1000-2000 hours if it has a proper bleed off valve

Sep 17, 2014
Orland Park, Illinois
www.gcssupplies.net
Real Name
Jim Nape
Business Location
United States
Fill it do the red dot and watch it every day...
It can get soot on the outside and be hard to see...
I burned one up because I couldn't see the oil.....and let it run down...should last 1000-2000 hours if it has a proper bleed off valve
One more thing, pull the red cap on the top. It is also a dip stick (on the newer pumps). Take a flashlight and shine it into the crankcase that will make it easier to see the oil level through the sight glass.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
This is incorrect... You should be filling past the red dot about 3/4 of the sight glass should be filled. The level of the oil should be on the red dot while it is running.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
This is incorrect... You should be filling past the red dot about 3/4 of the sight glass should be filled. The level of the oil should be on the red dot while it is running.
that is incorrect..if you fill it past the red dot you take the chance of blowing the oil seals...the level has to be at the center of the red dot.....

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
and before you want to argue about it....straight from Cat pumps page.....

How much oil does my Cat Pump require?

All Cat Pumps pressure wash pumps feature a oil bubble gauge located on the rear cover at the crankcase. Ensuring the pump is on a level surface, fill the crankcase until the oil level is in the center of the red dot.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
on the blower you want it to be right in the middle of the sight glass....if you go any further ..you may blow an oil seal...normally on the cat pump and the blowers..there is a vent...so if they are over filled..it will just vent out....in a perfect world...(.but thats not where we are)..and if dirt or anything clogs the vent...(and it will.)..then the next thing to go is an oil seal...so be careful and watch your levels...to much oil is just as bad as to little..........

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Actually I take that back... Cat Pumps & Prochem use to train their service technicians to fill it the way I stated in my first statement and I have service manuals that show the details. That was how I was trained.

Attachments

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
http://www.catpumps.com/oil-inquiries.asp

someone is incorrect....and for the number of pumps I have ever worked on and/or rebuilt..the manuals have always said to put it center of red dot...
You want to know the truth... We are both right. Your way is easier for people and my way is proper as well and within specs range. If the oil is higher than the red dot while running, that is too full.

Reactions: Jim Martin

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
With all that being said by the both of us. I would do whatever Cat Pumps says from the website. However, it actually gives me piece of mind to know that while I'm running long jobs I can monitor the pump level and not worry if the level is too low my way. I have been running my 5cp's & 3cp's this way for many years without issue.

Reactions: Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Its strange how they would have that..if you look on every new machine that sits in a show room or one someone just bought..the cat pumps come full of oil to the center of the red dot...one would think by over filling it it would void a warranty....

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Its strange how they would have that..if you look on every new machine that sits in a show room or one someone just bought..the cat pumps come full of oil to the center of the red dot...one would think by over filling it it would void a warranty....
You are absolutely right Jim. Perhaps they want more consistency. Back in the day, some pump manufacturers sight glasses would have a red dot with a thin circle around it. The outer circle would be the too full/too low indicator.

Sep 26, 2010
WA
www.grossbustersonline.net
Real Name
Grossbusters Carpet Cleaning
Business Location
United States
The difference between 'center of the red dot' and 'as instructed in older Prochem manuals' is only like 1-2 ounces. The nice thing about most cat pumps is you will not blow a seal due to the vent on top filler cap.

Reactions: Ara Klujian