CFX / docking station revisited | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

CFX / docking station revisited

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
water otter has the same pump as the CFX docking station RANGER...
and I believe the same pump in the mytee water hog...

It is a PUMPTEC 250-1200 PSI PUMP.....

But with the water otter you will have to by pass water off the unloader into a sink or you will burn up the pump.......that is why they put them in portables.....
The water otter routes the unloader back into the pump inlet- it just gently loops the water until you engage the wand valve again-
Pretty smooth

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
The water otter routes the unloader back into the pump inlet- it just gently loops the water until you engage the wand valve again-
Pretty smooth
That can present a problem if it recycles too much as it can cause the pump to over heat.
interesting-
Have you personally experienced that? Could you expound- im not invalidating- we can all learn from eachother
How hot was the water going into it?
and
How long were the “recycling” spurts in average?

was the heater before or after the pump?

genuinely interested in hearing the story

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
These pumps are originally made for pressure washing as most pressure washers do not lay the wand down for long .....
All pumps even if they are 5000$ pressure washer pumps will burn up if they are not bypassed into a tank.

I rann them with cold water.

i have burned up 2 CAT pumps numerous electric pumps over the 20 years of carpet cleanng because they were not bypassed into a fresh water tank.....with cold water.

Call a local pressure washer place...HOTSY.....
they are proffessionals and will tell you the same thing....

That water otter may last 50- 100 hours tops if you let it set for over 5

They do make electric pumps with an automatic shutoff when triger is off.

Tminutes.

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
These pumps are originally made for pressure washing as most pressure washers do not lay the wand down for long .....
All pumps even if they are 5000$ pressure washer pumps will burn up if they are not bypassed into a tank.

i have burned up 2 CAT pumps numerous electric pumps over the 20 years of carpet cleanng because they were not bypassed into a fresh water tank.....with cold water.

Tminutes.
*Thermal relief. Ever notice under a pressure washer a small puddle if you lay down the lance for too long? It pisses water till it cools down. And they dont have a 2' bypass hose. They bypass a squirt of water within the aluminum housing which heats up fast.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Tminutes.
$10 - $20 simple solution.

Reactions: Rogerroto

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
interesting-
Have you personally experienced that? Could you expound- im not invalidating- we can all learn from eachother
How hot was the water going into it?
and
How long were the “recycling” spurts in average?

was the heater before or after the pump?

genuinely interested in hearing the story
Even using cold water will heat up quickly if recirculated in the hose. As a manufacturer we just recirculate to the tank instead of burdening the ZpCC with monitoring the temp. The problem with temperature bypass sensors is they bleed out hot water but than it can’t be used in a building. I think a holding tank is best as it can be used as a solution tank without automatic fill which is very convenient to have that option.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Even using cold water will heat up quickly if recirculated in the hose. As a manufacturer we just recirculate to the tank instead of burdening the ZpCC with monitoring the temp. The problem with temperature bypass sensors is they bleed out hot water but than it can’t be used in a building. I think a holding tank is best as it can be used as a solution tank without automatic fill which is very convenient to have that option.
Thing about the water otter is it will most likely be parked in a bathroom, utility closet, or laundry. It being what it was meant to be a simple stand alone pump. it can have relief valve hose draped over a toilet or sink to evacuate hot water. If only they installed one on there in the first place lol. Its what i was going to do with it. But i instead mounted it to a washer cart and ran bypass back into tank that rested on same cart.
Was an absolute pia in residential for me so i bagged that project. Shoulda just got the relief valve and ran with it.

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr

Tminutes.
This is very helpful information!!
Thankyou!!

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
This is very helpful information!!
Thankyou!!
With the help from Pumptec support I converted the water Otter to bypass for under $20. As was stated you can run your bypass back to a drain or outside. I eventually will have mine returning to my 50 gallon fresh water tank. Will be using a small $100 3-4 gpm pump to feed the Otter. Short video:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
With the help from Pumptec support I converted the water Otter to bypass for under $20. As was stated you can run your bypass back to a drain or outside. I eventually will have mine returning to my 50 gallon fresh water tank. Will be using a small $100 3-4 gpm pump to feed the Otter. Short video:
That will work. But better like you said get it back to a tank.
Easy way is to put a T in and this will only release water when it reaches its set temperature. So it wont overheat. Less water waste. Some just leak out while others have a barb where a hose can be installed.

One thing with that pump though. If bypass it as you have it or back to tank. Priming is a breeze. No more hammering.
Screenshot_20200301-103556_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Reactions: Jimsteam

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It can be gravity fed. But its a pain to get it below tank level with rigid hose unless you raise tank. It creates a trap where bubbles get stuck. To soft a hose and it can suck shut. Think i used 3/4 or 1" id reinforced hose when i had it on my van.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
It can be gravity fed. But its a pain to get it below tank level with rigid hose unless you raise tank. It creates a trap where bubbles get stuck. To soft a hose and it can suck shut. Think i used 3/4 or 1" id reinforced hose when i had it on my van.
First thought was gravity feed thru the tanks drain however I was concerned with debris choking the pump even with a filter.
If you plan well a bypass is not even necessary .

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
That can present a problem if it recycles too much as it can cause the pump to over heat.
SImply put a thermal relief valve in the pump loop and divert it to the recovery tank, drain, or a bucket. The pump will not overheat then!

As far as a pump losing pressure when you key the wand, it does NOT lose pressure, it diverts the pressure to the wand or operating tool depending on the jet sizes as far as volume of water.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
First thought was gravity feed thru the tanks drain however I was concerned with debris choking the pump even with a filter.
If you plan well a bypass is not even necessary .
I used a hudson vavle to fill when tank was in van. A power washer garden hose filter at the hudson valve inlet. And a mushroom screen in base of tank where pump pulled water from. And i vacuumed out all the holesaw shavings before water ever touched the tank. So it was easy to clean and if anything ever made it in. It would have a lot of screens to get through. Just make sure the screens stay clear of that slime that grows in summer time. And vents lol. Dont forget those or the pump will create vacuum. Dont ask lol

Bypass back to a tank is the best bet. But for anyone using it in its original form. Its probaby better to use thermal valve. I got that idea from bob savage. He had his own version of the otter only much better.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
That will work. But better like you said get it back to a tank.
Easy way is to put a T in and this will only release water when it reaches its set temperature. So it wont overheat. Less water waste. Some just leak out while others have a barb where a hose can be installed.

One thing with that pump though. If bypass it as you have it or back to tank. Priming is a breeze. No more hammering.
View attachment 89937
I like this ! Find one set at 120 degrees and route it back to my freshwater tank ...problem solved. 120 degrees wont harm most any pump.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I like this ! Find one set at 120 degrees and route it back to my freshwater tank ...problem solved. 120 degrees wont harm most any pump.
Maybe @Bob Savage will chime in on which thermal valve he used on his 356. He told me a long time ago but i forget.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
That is a nice idea if it worked. The problem is a 1200 psi will put out between 1.8 and 2.2 gpm. You have to be able to bypass that volume to not over heat the pump. Those temperature sensors will not allow for that volume to go through and thus will overheat the pump.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
agree no need for temperature sensors...
those are mainly used for heat exchangers

just recirculate the water into the fresh water tank...it will not overheat...garunteed.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
agree no need for temperature sensors...
those are mainly used for heat exchangers

just recirculate the water into the fresh water tank...it will not overheat...garunteed.
And yet they come standard on every pressure washer with the exception of carpet cleaning equipment........................... Who knew............