CRB or Hot Rod for pre spray agitation?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mar 19, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Albert
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm 22 and have been in the carpet cleaning business for a little over 2 years now. My next investment is going to be a carpet agitator of some sort and I'm looking for recommendations. I do mostly residential cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm 22 and have been in the carpet cleaning business for a little over 2 years now. My next investment is going to be a carpet agitator of some sort and I'm looking for recommendations. I do mostly residential cleaning.

You have a 175?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

Don't mess with the hot Rod it's very akward to run on carpet.

Your best bet is to get an Oreck orbiter

Mar 19, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Albert
A crb is great but it's expensive. The Oreck will do fine for you for now
So I should look into a Oreck with a black carpet brush? I'm looking for something to use on the high traffic areas and stairs

Mar 19, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Albert
If you have money, go for a CRB
If you don't yet, buy a 175 w/carpet brush

...You are 22 so you can deal with carry the 175 without any problem, go for it
I don't mind spending more money if it means a higher quality product in the end. A 175 seems too "bulky" for stairs. Will a Oreck do a similar job as the CRB? I'm guessing it won't based on the price differential.

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
My next big tool purchase is a CRB. A 175 is just too damn heavy.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I don't mind spending more money if it means a higher quality product in the end. A 175 seems too "bulky" for stairs. Will a Oreck do a similar job as the CRB? I'm guessing it won't based on the price differential.

It won't. It's a completely different tool.

The crb is nice. But you need the small one for stairs. If you want to be a boss get a 20" crb for the wall to wall and then an Oreck for stairs

Mar 19, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Albert
It won't. It's a completely different tool.

The crb is nice. But you need the small one for stairs. If you want to be a boss get a 20" crb for the wall to wall and then an Oreck for stairs
I think for now I'm going to purchase an Oreck and then keep an eye out for a used CRB

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

An important thing to realize that no one will mention...

How is this going to effect your profit?

Did your cost of doing each job just go up?

Will you alter your price immediately to match?

How will this affect the customers that are coming to you or your current customers?

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
G

How will this affect the customers that are coming to you or your current customers?[/QUOTE

Good points

The cost of doing the job has definitely gone up (especially with the CRB) but the returns in being able to do a better job should offset that in the long run.

You must charge more when doing more steps.

Anything you can do to stand out among the rest is a good thing.

Mar 19, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Albert

How will this affect the customers that are coming to you or your current customers?
I plan on raising my prices but want to enhance my cleaning quality before doing so. I kept my prices slightly lower than competitors in my first 2 years in order to build up a decent customer base.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons

You need a 175 either way, if you plan on tile & grout cleaning, what about Stone Care, Bonnet cleaning, or encap. List goes on and on. My 175's, and my Turbo Tool is much needed and used everyday.

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States

If money isn't an issue, go for the CRB and buy the stiff (Black) brushes Tile and Grout cleaning and Gray (medium stiff) Carpets
I use my CRB for stairs also.
personally I don't like the oreck.
Hope that help you.

Avdo

Oct 12, 2013
Real Name
Avdo Avdic
I used 175 and switched to Oreck because of the weight. Oreck is good but most definitely slower. I'm thinking going back to 175.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
If you go with the Oreck go with pad driver and a red and white floor pad. The brushes work but are just around the outside of the oreck and do not cover as much ground.

The Hot rod actually works well too---many guys put it down that have not used it---- The amp draw is higher on the Hot rod---more power available than the Orek. All the grinders you mount will have adjustable rpm which is handy.

Both are great stair agitation and traffic lane agitation tools.

Good Luck

ciobanu_liviu

Aug 12, 2015
Real Name
Liviu Ciobanu

Just get a 10' crb. Good for stairs and trafic areas.