DC/AC | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
I need power for my electric pilot light on my propane heater. Do i use an Inverter or Converter ? The power is coming off the DC car battery that starts the TM. How many watts is good to have?

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
You need an inverter. 400 watts should power a pilot light just fine. BTW if you're drawing more than 400 watts you need to clip right to the battery. The cigarette lighter will only power about 400 watts. Any higher than that and you need to clip or attach right to the battery.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
You need an inverter. 400 watts should power a pilot light just fine. BTW if you're drawing more than 400 watts you need to clip right to the battery. The cigarette lighter will only power about 400 watts. Any higher than that and you need to clip or attach right to the battery.
Thanks, 400 watts is what is there but it went bad. It has + - wires running from the 12V battery that the TM runs on. All installed in a trailer. I got confused about what it was called when i looked on the shelf and saw inverter and converter. Would i benefit in anyway by getting a 1,000 watt inverter? Maybe to run an over head light or something.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Yes you could plug a lot of appliances into a 1K inverter lights or a vacuum. It's a little small for high draw things like a 175 rpm floor machine or heater.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Yes you could plug a lot of appliances into a 1K inverter lights or a vacuum. It's a little small for high draw things like a 175 rpm floor machine or heater.
Thanks Ken, i picked up a 750 Watt inverter from Walmart. One more question. Is that 750 watts total for both outlets or 750 per outlet? I'm thinking i can only run two 375 Watt objects at one time.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
That would be total not per outlet. Oh and then there's the thing about peak and operating wattage. Most things take considerably more wattage at start up than they do to maintain operation. So in your story you have two things that are drawing 375 watts but if one was running at 375 and the other took say 500 watts to start up then you'd not be able to get the second one running.

So the answer to your question is "it depends." Or to make it easier "NO." you cannot run very many brands of inverters at full capacity and I don't suspect you'd find the kind you can run at full capacity at wallyworld.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
That would be total not per outlet. Oh and then there's the thing about peak and operating wattage. Most things take considerably more wattage at start up than they do to maintain operation. So in your story you have two things that are drawing 375 watts but if one was running at 375 and the other took say 500 watts to start up then you'd not be able to get the second one running.

So the answer to your question is "it depends." Or to make it easier "NO." you cannot run very many brands of inverters at full capacity and I don't suspect you'd find the kind you can run at full capacity at wallyworld.
One outlet is for my heaters electric pilot light. So i guess once thats lit I wont be drawing any watts and I'll have the full 750 watts again. I'm only going to probably run an overhead light so i should be good. Thanks for all your help Ken.