Defoamer for Extractor | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Defoamer for Extractor

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
I dont get alot of foam in my waste tank. I usually use TMF Biopro, or Black Label, with 02. My question is if i dont get much foam at all should I use a defoaming solution, and if so how do i use it? do i mix a solution and pour a little in the waste tank? By the way i just love my new Ninja 500 heated extractor. My carpets dry in 2 hours using a Rotovac DHX at 300 psi for residential. Your help is appreciated

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Get powder defoamer. Throw a cap full in. That will keep foam down through the job. Most times you dont need it. But if you hit a spot that customer tried or like old spilled shampoo in a hall. It will instantly foam your hose shut and flood your tank. Powder is faater acting then liquid. So if hose were to foam shut. Sucking in a capfull of powder will instantly remove it.

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Get powder defoamer. Throw a cap full in. That will keep foam down through the job. Most times you dont need it. But if you hit a spot that customer tried or like old spilled shampoo in a hall. It will instantly foam your hose shut and flood your tank. Powder is faater acting then liquid. So if hose were to foam shut. Sucking in a capfull of powder will instantly remove it.
throw a capful in the waste tank? do i dilute it?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Here's my input. When you wand with just water in the solution tank you will leave a dark swamp line at end of the pass. I prefer to rinse with just enough chems to leave a barely visible foam line from the wand, not a super foamy white line. If you are using the right prespray and scrubbing you want more surfactant than anything in the rinse juice. Flex ice is a great choice for just about any job I can think of. If you have a pump out, set it to pump out early and often.

Reactions: keep it clean

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Here's my input. When you wand with just water in the solution tank you will leave a dark swamp line at end of the pass. I prefer to rinse with just enough chems to leave a barely visible foam line from the wand, not a super foamy white line. If you are using the right prespray and scrubbing you want more surfactant than anything in the rinse juice. Flex ice is a great choice for just about any job I can think of. If you have a pump out, set it to pump out early and often.
I dont use a wand i use a rotovac DHX which doesnt leave any foam lines at all, just a nice clean carpet thats almost dry after 2 dry passes for every wet pass at 300 psi. I use a rinse with my water in the solution tank and all is great.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
throw a capful in the waste tank? do i dilute it?
Chemspec crystalline defoamer. Just throw it in waste tank. It has more uses then liquid. It can be also sprinkled over carpet that is plagued with residue. Ive never seen a job that bad. But it can happen. I would just throw it in. Then dump maybe a cup of water over it so it doesnt just lift up and get sucked up into the vac motor. It doesnt take much. And if you leave a gallon of waste in tank when dumping. You wont need to add any more defoamer.

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Chemspec crystalline defoamer. Just throw it in waste tank. It has more uses then liquid. It can be also sprinkled over carpet that is plagued with residue. Ive never seen a job that bad. But it can happen. I would just throw it in. Then dump maybe a cup of water over it so it doesnt just lift up and get sucked up into the vac motor. It doesnt take much. And if you leave a gallon of waste in tank when dumping. You wont need to add any more defoamer.
thats the answer I was looking for! telling me HOW to use the defoamer. Thanks so much! I have a little as a sample given to me by the place i bought my ninja will use it tomorrow. Do you have any knowledge of the piglet filter?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
thats the answer I was looking for! telling me HOW to use the defoamer. Thanks so much! I have a little as a sample given to me by the place i bought my ninja will use it tomorrow. Do you have any knowledge of the piglet filter?
Yeah i know what it is. But i just stuffed a knee high sock into the hose barb. That worked better then the filter i had. Kept out most everything. Used maybe 2 per house.

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Yeah i know what it is. But i just stuffed a knee high sock into the hose barb. That worked better then the filter i had. Kept out most everything. Used maybe 2 per house.
does the filter interfere with any vacuum power at all?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
does the filter interfere with any vacuum power at all?
Yep. Little bit. If it starts clogging up then definitely. Why its good to prevac and change it out half way through the job. Or at least check it.

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Yep. Little bit. If it starts clogging up then definitely. Why its good to prevac and change it out half way through the job. Or at least check it.
would it hurt if i just left it alone with no sock, and dump my waste tank after every 5 gallons like i do now and rinse out the tank at the end of each day?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
would it hurt if i just left it alone with no sock, and dump my waste tank after every 5 gallons like i do now and rinse out the tank at the end of each day?
Nah. Youll just need to clean basket on stack more often. And be careful not to clog any toilets with baseball sized hair balls.

Reactions: renew carpet

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If you put in a pumpout it will matter more. But i remember you saying you didn't get that option.

Reactions: renew carpet

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Nah. Youll just need to clean basket on stack more often. And be careful not to clog any toilets with baseball sized hair balls.
where is the basket on the stack? is it in the waste tank? honestly when i dump after half the tank is filled, it eliminates alot of crud building up. just mainly dirty water, sometimes hair balls. i look in the waste tank, dont see anything but the overflow filter

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
how can such a simple question turn into such a clusterf*&^k:beaver:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
where is the basket on the stack? is it in the waste tank? honestly when i dump after half the tank is filled, it eliminates alot of crud building up. just mainly dirty water, sometimes hair balls. i look in the waste tank, dont see anything but the overflow filter
Yes basket will be on the stack. Some manufacturers dont use a basket. But i know the ninjas always had one.

The hair is there. Might not be all clumped together. When cleaning a house with dogs shepherd's and huskies especially you can find a cat sized hair ball in your tank. Even after vacuuming.
20160331_160449-1 (1).jpg

Reactions: Jim Davisson

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Yes basket will be on the stack. Some manufacturers dont use a basket. But i know the ninjas always had one.

The hair is there. Might not be all clumped together. When cleaning a house with dogs shepherd's and huskies especially you can find a cat sized hair ball in your tank. Even after vacuuming.View attachment 89296

The hair is there. Might not be all clumped together. When cleaning a house with dogs shepherd's and huskies especially you can find a cat sized hair ball in your tank. Even after vacuuming.View attachment 89296
I use the rotovac dhx so it scrubs deep into the carpet, so I do get alot of pet hair, way more than a normal wand, even after pre vac, but since i dump often, after only 4 gallons or so, i dont get huge amounts of hair at once. I dont mind dumping every 30 minutes or so. it takes only a minute. So when im done and rinse it out its totally clean. thanks for you input, and help i appreciate it. still cant see the basket and stack in the waste tank. lol