Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Do glides lower suction? Brandon Kirk asked this question elsewhere but to avoid argument I felt we could address it here. Suction is a broad term. There are many variables that come into play, CFM, Lift, blower size, engine size, RPM's, velocity and the textile your working on. Do you pre vacuum, pre agitate and what wand are you using?

Which glide will you use? Slotted retains lift better and holed increases velocity. In testing bare wands actually extracted more water under similar circumstances. The problem is people get tired and don't do as many clean or esp dry strokes. So is the glide better at extraction or is it just that your body able to be more efficient? Testing proved that hybrid glides faired the worst because like water, air takes the path of least resistance. Therefore the larger holes or slots are dominant. When we use glides we used slotted only. But holes are fine is you want the carpet to dry faster, just remember you must pre-vacuum and pre agitate as you lose all scrubbing ability. Actually the full name for wands is "scrubbing wands.

Lip glides are the happy medium. All my trucks use lip glides because we use all Prochem Ti wands. They retain lift and are 50% easier to push than a bare wand. But your wand must be a "cast head" to utilize a lip glide effectively for carpet. As a side note, some use the analogy if you put a coin on a surface and put your vacuum hose on it the you get 0 vacuum and the coin stays in place. This true. However with a wand it is not. For a couple reasons. 98% all wands are bent stainless steel and are not 100% level with the meeting at the carpet interface. Besides the wand is in continual movement (unlike trying to pick up a coin while stationary) as some incorrectly illustrate. And carpet has a nap.

To sum it up that is why a bare wand will outperform a wand in extraction over a glide as it retains full lift. For the sake of argument, think of lift as lifting the water and velocity or cams is what move it through the wand and hoses. The wand design, length of hose run and plumbing of design of your unit all play a large factor. So are glides bad? Absolutely not. The wrong choice of a glide is bad. So glide on but glide with a glide that works in harmony with your cleaning style, equipment and procedures. If you need any help feel free to pm me. I can help you tune the right glide to your specific needs! :)

Rob Allen
Truckmountforumns

TMF glides.jpg

Reactions: CCWorks

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Edit

Last edited:

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
And on that note... gerding aint getting into this argument again...carry on gentlemen...

Reactions: Rick Imby

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
So what comment did Omar pussy out on this time

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
My wands weigh ten pounds or less, ill take my glide off and see how easy it is to move Todd. I have a job early tommorow that ill test it at.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Would a full teflon head for a wand be better?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Why would a shorter wand have more lift after 200 ft of hose?