Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The Zipper and the glide....

I have a theory---many actually---

When drying my clothes I only run them in the dryer for 15 minutes. They come out half dry. I then hang up all my clothes and put them in the front closet. I then turn on the floor fan and Blow dry them. I leave space between the clothes and obviously the clothes closest to the fan dry first--Two things, I don't forget my stuff in the dryer and endup wrinkly--my clothes last a lot longer.

Without the fan the clothes will not dry and will start to mildew---ugg.

Without airflow--when your wand is fully locked down you are not drying the carpet. My theory is the Zipper is so good at drying because the big dual head never really locks down as well as little heads and the air is always flowing from at least one side or the other which pulls more airflow--Kinda like the way good headers in a car actually help pull the exploded air out of the cylinders---great flow.--

Keeping the airflow from ever coming to a complete stop is the way I look at it. The carpet fibers will always let a little bit of air through.

When you fully lock down on hard surface you don't pull water ---

With the 5 gallon tests you guys did you had to keep the hose from locking onto the bottom of the bucket.

The Steamin Demon, CX-15 and Zipper all have obstacles--wheels or dual vac channels that help keep them from fully locking down. The big size of the CX-15 kinda make it clumsy to fully lockdown when pulling back---they will lock down going forward--like the Demon---and become unusable.

As I said to begin with this is one of my Theories---

Rob, with just the rear lip glide on does that make the front of the wand a little higher maybe allowing better airflow? It has to change the way the wand sits on the carpet---
I have never used a glide, well actually I did one time 10 years ago and didn't like it, but I never have any issues with dry times. While yes good airflow will aid in drying the carpet the wand is not being used to dry the carpet but to extract as much liquid from the carpet as possible. The better the seal to the carpet the more the HG's of lift build up pulling more water from the carpet.

I say the wand is not a drying tool because the wand is only in contact with any one fiber of the carpet for a second or two. High airflow for only a second will not do much for drying the carpet. The reason the fan works on your cloths is that you leave the fan producing airflow for an extended time.

With the wand on carpet we are dealing with two different forces to remove the moisture. First we have lift which is what pulls the moisture from the carpet. Then we have airflow (CFM) which carries the water through the hose to the truckmount or portable. Since carpet is a porous material the wand never does 100% lock down on the carpet and there is always going to be some airflow being pulled through the fibers and carrying the water away. The trick is to find the right balance which allows maximum lift while still allowing enough CFM to carry the water away.

See Spots Run

Nov 1, 2010
redding, Ca.
www.seespotsruninc.com
Real Name
Ivan Smith
Business Location
United States
Empty house or apt with no power
I've got a generator I toss in the van for when there is no power. Works great for pre vac, crb, or rotary. I just make sure I find out whether there is power or not.
Without power, I'm working my azz off with a wand. I don't like busting my azz if there is a way to make it easier, and do a much better job.

Reactions: matt30577

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I have never used a glide, well actually I did one time 10 years ago and didn't like it, but I never have any issues with dry times. While yes good airflow will aid in drying the carpet the wand is not being used to dry the carpet but to extract as much liquid from the carpet as possible. The better the seal to the carpet the more the HG's of lift build up pulling more water from the carpet.

I say the wand is not a drying tool because the wand is only in contact with any one fiber of the carpet for a second or two. High airflow for only a second will not do much for drying the carpet. The reason the fan works on your cloths is that you leave the fan producing airflow for an extended time.

With the wand on carpet we are dealing with two different forces to remove the moisture. First we have lift which is what pulls the moisture from the carpet. Then we have airflow (CFM) which carries the water through the hose to the truckmount or portable. Since carpet is a porous material the wand never does 100% lock down on the carpet and there is always going to be some airflow being pulled through the fibers and carrying the water away. The trick is to find the right balance which allows maximum lift while still allowing enough CFM to carry the water away.
Check out the brain on Todd... I like .
Of course in Vegas and 10% humidity even if you only pulled back 50% of your extraction water carpets would dry in 2-3 hours.:whistle:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Check out the brain on Todd... I like .
Of course in Vegas and 10% humidity even if you only pulled back 50% of your extraction water carpets would dry in 2-3 hours.:whistle:
Yeah, we do have it good with the humidity for sure.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
I really agree with your Balance statement Todd... I disagree with your definitions however. Lift and airflow are not different forces. You say the lift pulls the water---I say the lift is the different atmospheric pressure between inside the wand/hose and outside. The difference causes air to pass through the carpet and pull the water with it....

It is all semantics...

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
I just ordered the magic glides (lip style) from kleen pro, they are the ones that go on with heat and are apparently work on any wand. Is this a good choice for my cheap portable wand? I will try just the rear lip

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I really agree with your Balance statement Todd... I disagree with your definitions however. Lift and airflow are not different forces. You say the lift pulls the water---I say the lift is the different atmospheric pressure between inside the wand/hose and outside. The difference causes air to pass through the carpet and pull the water with it....

It is all semantics...
Right, but put your hand over the hose next time you are running the machine. You will feel the lift build up to its max and at the same time you will have zero airflow. On the other hand take your hand off the hose and hold the open hose and watch your lift meter go down as the airflow increases.

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
How much gap should your wand opening have? I just installed one lip glide but now the opening is even narrower than a butter knife blade. I can stick the blade in but it flexes the metal out in order to get in.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
How much gap should your wand opening have? I just installed one lip glide but now the opening is even narrower than a butter knife blade. I can stick the blade in but it flexes the metal out in order to get in.
Thats not good, you should be able to suck upsome larger debris, like popcorn kernals.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Thats not gonna work dude... not at all...mail me the lip glide if you cant use it? :) you need at least 1/4 gap..

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Btw @Rob Allen I need a new slot glide for my prochem titanium... since i will win the top poster for the next year or 3 can you just send me the glide instead of chems? ;)

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Ive got this Tony Dang special and i must say it is awesome..

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
That vt12 from Joe Dirt leaks more then his filters lol.