Do you trust other cleaners? - The value of a strategic partnership.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Would you trust another cleaner with one of your customers?

• Total voters

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ever feel like you are a lone wolf in your business?

For all you single truck owner operators out there, what do you do when you get a big job that you need help on? or if your equipment breaks down? Vacation anyone? Being an owner operator with no employees and only one truck can sometimes put you in a tough spot.

As I left my former place of employment and started my own company one of my biggest fears was "what would I ever do if I had my truck or machine go down". Having worked for a large multi-truck operation I always had the benefit of being able to call the office and have another truck sent out when I had equipment problems. That all went away when I started my own business.

It was soon after starting my business that I found TMF. I have seen it with other cleaners. I wished I had another cleaner that I could team up with when needed.

I have since made friends with a few other cleaners here in Vegas and I have a really good working relationship with a few of them. I met Jeff (blacktiedetailing) and Damon (cleaningservicepros) and over the last year or so have been able to build a good working relationship and friendship with each of them. We refer jobs to each other and help each other out quite often. I can say I would trust either of them with the keys to my house. It's a great comfort knowing that we each look out for each other and can count on each other.

How about you? Do you have any other local friends in the business or do you prefer to keep a distance? Would you trust another cleaner?

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
How about you? Do you have any other local friends in the business or do you prefer to keep a distance? Would you trust another cleaner?

I have desperately tried to reach out to other cleaners with little luck.

Its very sad honestly this industry. People are to protective. Maybe its because I am a young buck with big ideas and they still are cleaning O/O with no internet marketing and think I am going to take all their work.

There is a dozen cleaners in my area I have reached out to and they have all rejected any kind of partnership.

I have had better luck in NJ, Tom and Doren are both top notch carpet cleaners, wish they were not so far!

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
Ever feel like you are a lone wolf in your business?

For all you single truck owner operators out there, what do you do when you get a big job that you need help on? or if your equipment breaks down? Vacation anyone? Being an owner operator with no employees and only one truck can sometimes put you in a tough spot.

As I left my former place of employment and started my own company one of my biggest fears was "what would I ever do if I had my truck or machine go down". Having worked for a large multi-truck operation I always had the benefit of being able to call the office and have another truck sent out when I had equipment problems. That all went away when I started my own business.

It was soon after starting my business that I found TMF. One of the things I admired was the Strategic Partnership that I saw Torrey and Ross (TheEyeball) had and how even though they each had their own businesses they were often able to work together and help each other out. I wished I had another cleaner that I could team up with when needed.

I have since made friends with a few other cleaners here in Vegas and I have a really good working relationship with a few of them. I met Jeff (blacktiedetailing) and Damon (cleaningservicepros) and over the last year or so have been able to build a good working relationship and friendship with each of them. We refer jobs to each other and help each other out quite often. I can say I would trust either of them with the keys to my house. It's a great comfort knowing that we each look out for each other and can count on each other.

I've never met anyone from tmf. I can imagine trusting most cleaners from here but i don't think i can trust cleaners that i meet at my supply stores.
I'm a picky with trusting people.

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
I have done water damage jobs with the local legend and it feels good to know I'm the guy he calls when he needs help. I've even called him to see if he was willing to lend me some drying equipment. He has hundreds of fans and tens of Dehus and various equipment.
He has even sent me cleaning jobs when he's too busy.
It works out great for both of us and neither one if us is worse off for it.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Would you trust another cleaner?
Wow, that is a loaded question, Todd!

Sort a reminds me of the old Groucho Marx joke, "I would never want to be in a club that would accept me as a member!"

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Way back in February we ran a QuickTIP on the importance of developing Strategic Partnerships. Click HERE for some TIPS on how to build a Strategic partnership.

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
Wow, that is a loaded question, Todd!

Sort a reminds me of the old Groucho Marx joke, "I would never want to be in a club that would accept me as a member!"

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Way back in February we ran a QuickTIP on the importance of developing Strategic Partnerships. Click HERE for some TIPS on how to build a Strategic partnership.
I'd like to buy you a beer sometime Steve.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Yes I have a couple local cleaners I refer jobs too often. One I hire for all my large commercial jobs, some I send him to do the job representing my company all by himself. I trust him but if he ever betrayed the trust by trying to steal my customers I would shrug it off and move on and he would be out of a couple grand a month.
On the other hand there is a cleaner in my town who use to post here a while back that gave me the thumbs down last week as he passed me on the interstate, it made my day.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
Yes I have a couple local cleaners I refer jobs too often. One I hire for all my large commercial jobs, some I send him to do the job representing my company all by himself. I trust him but if he ever betrayed the trust by trying to steal my customers I would shrug it off and move on and he would be out of a couple grand a month.
On the other hand there is a cleaner in my town who use to post here a while back that gave me the thumbs down last week as he passed me on the interstate, it made my day.
That's sucks man what a asshole.

I always give a nice professional wave whenever passing another Carpet Cleaner. Those yellow truck guys are assholes too

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I always give a nice professional wave whenever passing another Carpet Cleaner...
Yeah, I always tried to be professional with my competitors but given the intense competition we faced in a small market base they didn't respond well.

Steve

PS Somehow my competitors blamed me for the fact that they were LOSERS when in fact they were their own worst enemy!

Jimmy L

Apr 16, 2012
Ne
Real Name
Jimmy Ladigwag
Business Location
United States
Heres what I did.

I personally invited a select group of carpet cleaners over for a "get to know you" BBQ.

After a few beers and some shop talk, showing their equipment etc. you begin to get a feel for the ones you can trust.

Then what you do is pass some work along to the ones you like.

And then if they return the favor , then bingo bango you have a friend who will help you.

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
I have a couple good guys I've met from here, lance goldens a good guy and so is Joel Riggs i would help out either one of them but as far as in my area I have one real close that is also a poster here, if his leg was on fire I don't think I'd even piss on it.

cyphersbg

Mr. Cyphers
Jul 19, 2013
California
www.oceanwestsd.com
Real Name
Branston Cyphers
Business Location
United States
When I was brand new(still a rook) I would always get tile & grout jobs that I didn't know how to do nor did I even have the equipment. I would call this guy that connected with me in the CC course if he wanted the jobs. He basically grilled me on why I was giving him commercial work that profited lots of money. I told him I was clueless on tile, and he just couldn't understand why I would just give him a job with nothing in return.

All I want is someone I can turn to when I have a simple stain or solution question.

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
I have a couple good guys I've met from here, lance goldens a good guy and so is Joel Riggs i would help out either one of them but as far as in my area I have one real close that is also a poster here, if his leg was on fire I don't think I'd even piss on it.
Gee, i thin-K ... I ....know who your Pointing towards....

May 9, 2013
Southeast Houston
spotlessflooring.com
Real Name
Daniel Provorse
Business Location
United States
I enjoy building networks to help each other out. It seems most people are not very open to the idea. I have reached out to a few other cleaners. The only one I have built a good relationship with is Mike Decker.

I would trust him with the keys to my house. It took time working with him to build the trust.

This past Monday I spent 16 hours helping him strip and refinish some VCT for our first time.

mcatalano

Apr 8, 2011
Real Name
mike catalano
Business Location
United States
I don't mind it..but my clients are always my clients..I can share new ones if I can't get to them or commercial is cool

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TMF Forums mobile app

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Heres what I did.

I personally invited a select group of carpet cleaners over for a "get to know you" BBQ.

After a few beers and some shop talk, showing their equipment etc. you begin to get a feel for the ones you can trust.

Then what you do is pass some work along to the ones you like.

And then if they return the favor , then bingo bango you have a friend who will help you.
What time should I be there?

Jimmy L

Apr 16, 2012
Ne
Real Name
Jimmy Ladigwag
Business Location
United States
LOL!

And then there is a local guy.

I reached out to him, called him and said hey let's meet up.

He responded by putting out signs on every corner of my sub division.

I saw him one day driving by my street and looking at my house.

Saw him at a suppliers BBQ with his son.

I had my son with me too.

Never a word said to me.

Went on a few estimates local and he always low balled the bid to get it from me.

I just shake my head of such a loser mentality.

And I too wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire either.