Do you trust other cleaners? - The value of a strategic partnership.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Would you trust another cleaner with one of your customers?

• Total voters

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I am friends with a master in this business, he has pretty much taught me everything I know and apply in my own business. I occasionally help him out on his truck and love learning more each time. over the past year hes need a Hip replacement and needed my help more. I have recently learned he will be going into surgery next week and asked fro me to handle client of his. I have only done this once or twice before and it worked out pretty well. he want to split the invoice 50/50 is that fair? anyone have any suggestions
Depends on your relationship. 50/50 is ok I think. Some day it will be you in need of help and he can do a job or 2 for you.

No matter what the split ends up being it needs to be the same both ways. If you do 60/40 then when he does a job for you it needs to be the same deal.

We have a group of cleaners here in Vegas and we sometimes pass jobs back and forth to each other. Usually who ever does the work gets the money from the job.

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
Keep in mind that this person is teaching you and has been for awhile, from the information you shared. That knowledge is worth something and if he is going into surgery, then his income is being shortened. I would take the 50/50 and take the balance in the knowledge that you are helping someone who would do the same or more for you.

May 9, 2013
Southeast Houston
spotlessflooring.com
Real Name
Daniel Provorse
Business Location
United States
Keep in mind that this person is teaching you and has been for awhile, from the information you shared. That knowledge is worth something and if he is going into surgery, then his income is being shortened. I would take the 50/50 and take the balance in the knowledge that you are helping someone who would do the same or more for you.
^ This guy makes a good point if all said is true.

Dec 30, 2011
CT
www.envirocleanservicesct.com
Real Name
Mike
Business Location
United States
Who is getting paid by the customer?

If the customer pays the other guy and he pays you, 50/50 is cool I think.

If you are getting paid and giving him a cut, it needs to be negotiated to cover your costs associated with that money coming through your business. (Workers comp mostly I think)
I think because usually both of us except payment after work is completed except of rare occasions, I will collect money and split 50/50. After my divorce and my financial state of my business I need money and can't wait around to get paid my split.

Nov 28, 2016
Real Name
harris hall
Hey, I had done work with one of cleaner in Philadelphia they work very well and provide 100% result according my requirement. And one of the most important thing is every cleaning organization have to use organic products.

May 13, 2016
Real Name
John Guerra
How about you? Do you have any other local friends in the business or do you prefer to keep a distance? Would you trust another cleaner?[/QUOTE]

In my short time in starting up my business here in North Carolina I have had the pleasure to meet and work with Andy2012, he helped teach me VCT and has been very helpful as I get jobs. I hope it does not happen anytime soon, however if I had a need or equipment failure and needed him I feel confident he would do everything possible to assist.

To be honest most other people in my area that I have talked to or met have been nothing but helpful and always seem to mention that they want to pay it forward and help someone else out. Momma Fen is another who has assisted me in equipment and chem questions and i count it a blessing to have her close enough to assist.

There is a TMT franchise owner in my area and I saw him out 1 day before making all my final equipment purchases, I approached him and we talked for a while. During the conversation he stated that if I wanted to ride along and get some hands on before making any major purchases that I was welcome to come do some jobs with him and see if I would even be interested in this line of work. I took him up on the offer and worked a night with and for him.

The willingness to teach and pass info along to help someone else out as they start and grow their business was a bit of a shock to me and I am humbled daily by this forum and those that I talk to that I meet, both janitorial and carpet cleaning business owners. I am still in my current role of manufacturing supervision while I grow my business and for 24 years of that all I have known is step on number 2 to get to number 1 mentality in this environment. As I said, it's humbling to say the least, and hopefully one day I can pay it forward to a new entrepreneur as it is being done to me.

Jimmy L

Apr 16, 2012
Ne
Real Name
Jimmy Ladigwag
Business Location
United States
As long as they live out of the area I will help them

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
I've called cleaners in my area and they never have once did answered my call, except steamatic and they didn't take the job. I fell most cleaners won't want the job because they know you are making more off the job than you pay them and pride of course. I'll get water loss jobs that I feel are too much risk for me and contract them out to the franchise co. for 30% to my company and the other 70 to them with out setting foot on the job after initial inspection. But locals , would never help me out..
Plus, while everyone making all that money and get a back up unit. Every time we hit a flood job , we buy fans ,dehus , a van , or truckmount.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I'm open to trusting other cleaners, depending on how they run their business. I have joint ventured with my local interlink supplier, who also runs a successful carpet cleaning company... I've brought him on a few flood jobs and air duct jobs.. he's brought me on a commercial cleaning job. So far it's been a great combination!
I have picked up a few more local cleaners to partner with. Been awesome.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
I have have formed a great relationship with other local cleaners. I trust them and they trust me. Have a percentage deal worked out with each one. There's always someone available for a job I can't take. And I know the job is going to be done right. It's a win win for all!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I love, love, love networking my boys!!!

I have a ton of one-man, one-truck companies in this metro area, and every one of them brings something of value to the table.

There's plenty of carpet for everyone to clean, so rather than teaching them to pee in the corners and stake their territory, I introduce them to each other, have them show off their equipment to each other (no, not that way, mind out of the gutter please), and get them talking while I'm helping someone else. Next thing you know, I'm getting phone calls telling me that so-n-so helped such-n-such and the job turned out great, and everyone wins.

Getting to know these guys means I get a sense of whose work ethic matches whose, and who would make good partners. A guy who charges $50 a room wouldn't be a good match for someone whose pricing starts at $150, lol. But a guy who's a whiz at tile, presented with an expensive area rug soaked in red wine and dog pee, knows I've got the cell phone number of the best rug people on the East Coast and can have them hooked up within seconds. He's free to do what he does best, they come do what they do best, and again, everyone wins.

When I hear of throat-cutters, backstabbers, or customer stealers, they don't get recommendations any more. Like, EVER. And thankfully, that RARELY happens. Very jokingly, I tell the boys "remember, I hear everything that comes down the pike, so if you mess around and try to steal his business I'll know about it and I'll charge you double on everything you buy for the rest of your life!". I don't know if it's the threats or the giggling, but once guys get referrals from me they are virtually always coming in with excellent reviews from the others.

And yes, @ANDY2012 is an incredible young man - friendly, smart, hardworking, helpful, and so excited about this industry that I think he has replaced his kids' baby pictures in his wallet with pictures of his homemade vac booster, lol... If we had more Andys in this area, I'd be out of a job!

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
I'm open to trusting other cleaners, depending on how they run their business. I have joint ventured with my local interlink supplier, who also runs a successful carpet cleaning company... I've brought him on a few flood jobs and air duct jobs.. he's brought me on a commercial cleaning job. So far it's been a great combination!
I like your name