Do you trust other cleaners? - The value of a strategic partnership.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Would you trust another cleaner with one of your customers?

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2017
Baton Rouge, LA
www.sparkycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Dan Doychev
Business Location
United States
There are nice people out there. You just have to look for it. Most of the time it takes some time to partner up with somebody from your industry. I already partnered with 3 of them in my city.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
When I started my business I went around and introduced myself and talked with a bunch of the local cleaners. Right away I made new friends and had guys that I could refer jobs to and things like repairs and dyeing that they referred to me. 20 years on and some of us (still in the business) still work together, sometimes on the same huge jobs. Respect is everything.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
All the cleaners in my area know they can trust me. But I can’t trust all the cleaners in my area. Fortunately the ones I have partnered with we have done so for decades. True value lies in the friendships.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I have a super nice guy who lives next town over from me, He has a judson TM.
He's been cleaning for over 30yrs in the area
I am a portable guy Mytee LTD5

We help each other out all the time, I lend him my 175 when ever he needs it free of charge as he always wants to give me something

He gets a lot of high rise jobs that he cannot use his TM on, so we do them together with my porty and his chems

Sometimes i get really big jobs in the high dollar neighbor hoods, I call him and we do them together using his TM and my chems

We call each other for advice, he's turned me on to some good chems and i've turned him on to some good chems

There are a lot of restaurants in my area, before I go solicit any of them i'll call him 1st to make sure it's not one of his, this goes for any commercial job

He does the same for me as well

He's not greedy and neither am I. I have a lot respect for this guy and consider him a good friend.

Too bad more cleaners cannot be like him, there's plenty of work to go around

When i first got into T&G and got my 1st job, it was a big one i called him to help me as it was my 1st time doing T&G

I was using Robs Grout master for the 1st time as well as rob was nice enough to send me a sample.

This guy helped me with this job for 3hrs, after the job i pulled out some money to pay him for his time, he wouldn't take any money from me
after going back and forth he said ok i'll tell ya what just buy me a container of that Grout Master stuff as he was very impressed with it and now thats all he use's

So his help for 3hrs only cost me the price of 1 container of Grout Master

He called me one day on a job he did two days prior, customer called him back cause one spot came back in one room.
I went back to the job with him in my van to see the spot, I broke out my Orbot Vibe with a cotton bonnet and some Revive it Rocket, took out the spot and it never came back

Of course he wanted to pay me something and of course i refused

When you run into a guy like this it's like finding Gold as far as i'm concerned.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have a super nice guy who lives next town over from me, He has a judson TM.
He's been cleaning for over 30yrs in the area
I am a portable guy Mytee LTD5

We help each other out all the time, I lend him my 175 when ever he needs it free of charge as he always wants to give me something

He gets a lot of high rise jobs that he cannot use his TM on, so we do them together with my porty and his chems

Sometimes i get really big jobs in the high dollar neighbor hoods, I call him and we do them together using his TM and my chems

We call each other for advice, he's turned me on to some good chems and i've turned him on to some good chems

There are a lot of restaurants in my area, before I go solicit any of them i'll call him 1st to make sure it's not one of his, this goes for any commercial job

He does the same for me as well

He's not greedy and neither am I. I have a lot respect for this guy and consider him a good friend.

Too bad more cleaners cannot be like him, there's plenty of work to go around

When i first got into T&G and got my 1st job, it was a big one i called him to help me as it was my 1st time doing T&G

I was using Robs Grout master for the 1st time as well as rob was nice enough to send me a sample.

This guy helped me with this job for 3hrs, after the job i pulled out some money to pay him for his time, he wouldn't take any money from me
after going back and forth he said ok i'll tell ya what just buy me a container of that Grout Master stuff as he was very impressed with it and now thats all he use's

So his help for 3hrs only cost me the price of 1 container of Grout Master

He called me one day on a job he did two days prior, customer called him back cause one spot came back in one room.
I went back to the job with him in my van to see the spot, I broke out my Orbot Vibe with a cotton bonnet and some Revive it Rocket, took out the spot and it never came back

Of course he wanted to pay me something and of course i refused

When you run into a guy like this it's like finding Gold as far as i'm concerned.
Gold is right. Have a couple my way.

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
I think meeting and working with competitors is just good business. I recommend jobs to one of the cleaners in the area, especially if I cant handle myself or do not offer services, such as stretching, dyeing, or DR. Between talking, advice, knowing that you can rely on someone if you get in a pinch is priceless.

Feb 6, 2018
Real Name
Cheryl Shenave
I have desperately tried to reach out to other cleaners with little luck.

Its very sad honestly this industry. People are to protective. Maybe its because I am a young buck with big ideas and they still are cleaning O/O with no internet marketing and think I am going to take all their work.

There is a dozen cleaners in my area I have reached out to and they have all rejected any kind of partnership.

I have had better luck in NJ, Tom and Doren are both top notch carpet cleaners, wish they were not so far!
My husband, who does all the heavy lifting, has negative feelings about working with other companies. I am the one who answers the phone, keeps the books, does the scheduling, and marketing. I don't like to lose clients because we can't schedule them for the time frame they need. However; my husband just does not want to reach out to anyone. Partially because when we were getting our start we were left high and dry by individuals we tried to work with. So I feel your pain. Once you get burned, or if you just can't find anyone it becomes discouraging and you just give up.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My husband, who does all the heavy lifting, has negative feelings about working with other companies. I am the one who answers the phone, keeps the books, does the scheduling, and marketing. I don't like to lose clients because we can't schedule them for the time frame they need. However; my husband just does not want to reach out to anyone. Partially because when we were getting our start we were left high and dry by individuals we tried to work with. So I feel your pain. Once you get burned, or if you just can't find anyone it becomes discouraging and you just give up.
Once burned, twice shy.

Guess it is like friendships and relationships. You have to be willing to put yourself out there at the risk of getting hurt. "So be as cunning as serpents and as innocent as doves".

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I have some guys in town who are absolutely the BEST in niche markets - rugs, leather, repair, etc - and I always enjoy pairing them up with fellows who need their expertise. Not everyone can be an expert on everything - and if you really want to be The Best at something, it's wise to narrow your focus and avoid the dreaded dilettante label.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ive tried to reach out to other cleaners in my area but no success... Any tips on how to approach another company/competitor?
When you see another cleaner say hi and ask them to lunch. Offer to be a “backup” for them should they ever have equipment issues or need help on big jobs.

There’s two types of cleaners out there, some will be your friend and others will want nothing to do with you. There are 4 other cleaners in my town, I’m friends with 3 of them, the other guy prefers to keep to himself.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I just dropped a $10k bid on VCT. I've never done VCT in my life and have no clue. How do I stuff like this you ask? Easy, I partnered up with a local competitor whose very good at VCT amongst other things. @Pinosan or Martin as I call him. :)

Kilara

Jul 3, 2018
USA, New York
Real Name
Hannah
Business Location
United States
Yes I have a couple local cleaners I refer jobs too often. One I hire for all my large commercial jobs, some I send him to do the job representing my company all by himself. I trust him but if he ever betrayed the trust by trying to steal my customers I would shrug it off and move on and he would be out of a couple grand a month