Dog smell that won’t go away

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Local cleaner has a client with a dog smell he can’t resolve. He has cleaned it, deodorized it and cannot seem smell it in the carpet. But the smell is there when you walk around. It also has fleas so he is asking me to handle the it from here. I know what I am going to do to resolve the issue. Like to start a discussion for anyone who might have this issue in the future. Then I’ll chime in with my process(s).

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
Local cleaner has a client with a dog smell he can’t resolve. He has cleaned it, deodorized it and cannot seem smell it in the carpet. But the smell is there when you walk around. It also has fleas so he is asking me to handle the it from here. I know what I am going to do to resolve the issue. Like to start a discussion for anyone who might have this issue in the future. Then I’ll chime in with my process(s).
If the smell is out of the carpet it must be the dog

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
First, with the fleas, I'd check state laws regarding pesticides - in some states, it is illegal to dispense a pesticide or make a kill claim without a license. And I always caution my guys against bringing wands, equipment, etc into an environment suffering from flea or bedbug infestation - while high heat can indeed kill insects, there's no guarantee some of them won't hitchhike safely from you to the van to your home.

If the dog smell isn't coming from the carpet, my first instinct is to look at walls and corners, furniture, etc - anywhere the dog sits, lies, or rubs. Skin oils, dander, and saliva contribute to doggy funk.

For odor to be present, there must be a source. Dogs generally don't fly, so the source is likely to be found somewhere from waist-height down and it can be on any surface, not just the carpet.

Last resort, getting the HVAC system cleaned.

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
Pet dandee in the backing and or urine in padding? Would like to know had similar issue minus the fleas, btw what do you do to protect your self when you suspect client has had or has fleas/bugs ect? I turn down work if it has ben brought to my attention that client has bed bug infestation. Im sure ive cleaned carpets where client was not aware or didnt wanna admit to problem. Sorry go off topic little

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
definitely check the hvac and clean/replace the filters they are probably wadded with dog hair especially if its a long haired dog.

then tell them to furminate their dog and give it a bath

then re clean the carpet lol

had the same thing happen to me, I went back and opened up the heat pump (indoor units) and there was probably 2lbs of golden retriever hair

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I personally feel that at some point, replacing the carpet and pad is the way to go. I had a house about 6 months ago that had a bad dog odor. Some urine smell too, but mostly just a general disgusting wet dog smell. I went all out on this job. I prevaccumed very well, which I usually do not do, I sprayed with bio break, I brush pro'd, I added deodorizers to the prespray, I extracted slowly. I got down on hands and knees smelling for it. I went back, prevaccummed again, used hydrocide only, absolutely doused it in the bad areas, brush pro'd again, then cleaned again. Then I went back, focused on the areas, tried doing it again. I lifted up the edge of the carpet in the dining room and saw that the tack strips and part of the wall were wet from dog piss, slobber, etc. I tried even putting OSR in those areas really heavy. I tried and tried and tried. Eventually he told me he just replaced that room of carpet. I kind of feel like some jobs might just be too much to really "clean" and need to just replace. I know some here won't view it that way.

Another time, I tried to clean human pee from an oceanfront vacation rental. Didn't give guarantee. It still smelled awful after some tries. I ended up telling the manager "Look, I can probably get most of this out eventually. But, this is a 1 million dollar rental. There's always going to be trace amounts of pee in this. It seems like a better decision to me to just pay to have this little 10x10 room's carpet replaced and call it good rather than losing tons of income by having to wait and make sure the odor doesn't come back". She totally agreed and appreciated me just being honest. People appreciate the honesty when you can tell them "I can try more, and you can pay me more, and it might help quite a lot, but if this was my home, I'd replace".

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Rental years ago. I had access for quite some time. Multiple things tried. Thought I was going to crack this issue.
multiple cleaning with all of the Cides. , solvs, rotary extraction ************
I even used a good upholstery cleaner on it. Thinking body oils, --- well----- doggy body oils. :unsure:

thermal fogging the duct work. picking the carpet up and wet fogging under it.
On and on and on..
this over a period of a couple of weeks.
every time I opened the door the doggy smell would knock you out. NOT URINE

The pad was the really good pet pad. Maybe the stuff got down in the pad over a long period , but could not be got out because of the plastic film?

Well I finally left with my tail between my legs.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Hold my beer, I'm going in with thermal fog and ozone machine.

arrohmei

Oct 29, 2018
Real Name
Jeremy Priessman
As long as you have eliminated the possibility that it could be the carpet, I would first check the filter in the central air (if applicable). Also make sure that there is air movement in the house... they cant have a closed room with no ventilation and expect it to smell anything but bad. After all is said and done, I would hike up the heat and Ozone the hell out of it. making sure to get any oils off the walls that the dog may have rubbed against.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
No mention as to whether the dog(s) are still in the home?
If so you will never win the battle.
Another thing to check is the customers vacuum.
Most vacuums that have been used in homes with pets would choke a horse with the smell when turned on recontaminating everything within it.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It's in the pad. The dander and oils from the dog penetrate through carpet and into the pad. Alot of the odor will be there. And like said the walls, hvac, fans. If they ran hvac without filter or clogged filter the A coil will be coated in dander. It just gets into everything.
Fleas? That's your duty you got the license for it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Went in and thermal fogged it with Reefer Rid. Then Ozone next day. Smelled great. It might not of even needed the O-Zone.

Aug 6, 2010
Tasmania
www.cccarpetcleaning.com.au
Real Name
Steve Gibbs
Business Location
Australia
I had a rental that had a heavy doggy dander smell, no urine it had three long hair german shepherds living there. The tennenat moved out and the house stank so I did pretty much everything that people did above . I eventually lifted the carpet to check underneath and found that the hessian backing felt oily, so the oils from the dogs coats had penetrated right through to the backing of the carpet. I suggested to the owner just to pull it out and replace.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Went in and thermal fogged it with Reefer Rid. Then Ozone next day. Smelled great. It might not of even needed the O-Zone.
What was the thinking on using Reefer Rid?? as opposed to one of the many other flavors?