Franchises and quality don't mix

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
Hey guys I wanted to hear from some of the O/Os who used to work for a franchise.

Did you do the same quality you do now or did you notice an increase when it was Your customer?

Also guys that currently work for or own a franchise to hear what they have to say too.

It's not meant to piss anyone off just gain insight into the mentality of the different structures.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I worked for a franchise for 17 years before starting my own business. As far as mentality I have always done the best I knew how to do both as an employee and now as an O/O. I will say that my quality has improved as an O/O because I am not limited on the chemicals I use now. I can also say I have learned more in the last 2 years than I learned in the 17 years previous.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
Ok good. Now lets hear from someone that owns a franchise or even a 5 truck or more operation.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
quality in a franchise is only limited by the quality of technicians the company hires.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I was part of a franchise company, Service Team of Professionals. They were more management orientated, and prior to joining was concerned about how quality would be affected. Truth is quality actually improved. But I think that STOP is a of a one of a kind franchise.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Anyone working a franchise has the same potential to produce top quality results as any O/O on this forum. But there are obstacles they face that the rest of us don't which leads to the reputation of franchise cleaners producing low quality work. Things like pricing set by the company means your more likely to be under bidding jobs which lowers your profit margin and therefore de-insentivises a person to take time and do top quality work. Having to pay a portion of these underbid jobs to the company only furthers this. Franchise cleaners are stuck with the chemicals approved by the company, which tend to have more focus on cost rather than effectiveness. They often have to clean according to company guidelines which doesn't leave flexibility to do maybe and extra scrub, or a scrub at all. Then of course you have companies like Stanley Steamer which reportedly tells their people they should be able to clean a room in 7 minutes.

In my opinion, a franchise cleaner is a hobbled racehorse at the Kentucky Derby. Geeze Seabiscuit, you barely took two steps, must be a crap horse, put it down and sell it for glue.

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
I am a very short ways out from having my O/O business up and running and one of my goals is to provide much better quality than what I can now working for a franchise. And it won't be hard to do at all, no competition. Although I do the very best I can with what I am given in product, equipment and time right now, there is no way I can do a better job than I will do when I am on my own. I am speaking for the specific franchise I work for now remember, no other franchise. How can I do a better job when I am given a very small window of time, in most cases very unrealistic and impractical to complete each job. Not only is the owner paying commission to the techs, he's paying franchise fees every month, so he has to cram jobs in every day and it causes each tech to run behind. And we work as single tech vans. Also how can it be better quality when you are limited to a very small amount of products and equipment and every time before a new order of product arrives are completely out of prespray from the last order. I will be able to afford to schedule myself more time at each job and have different cleaning solutions for different situations.