General TM Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
Hi Guys - I'm completely new to this and am in the very early stages of research so apologies in advance if it sounds stupid. Here is my question. Do my rotary tools get attached directly to the TM as well or is that a stand alone unit? Same games for tile and grout cleaners... would I need a separate machine or is it just an attachment that allows me to use the carpet cleaner for tiles/grouts? I guess in the general sense what I'm trying to find out is if I wanted to do tile/grout, hardwood, rugs, etc.... do these each require stand alone units or can I just buy attachments that allow me to use my TM for the above mentioned?

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Yep except for hardwood that is a seperate machine. With TM you can do upholstery carpets tile water extractions and even air ducts

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
Yep except for hardwood that is a seperate machine. With TM you can do upholstery carpets tile water extractions and even air ducts
Thanks for your reply. What would I have to use for hardwood and what is the price range for that type of machinery?
Secondly, are all TM's capable of adding attachments for air ducts, water extractions, tile/grout etc.. or just a few select ones?

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Thanks for your reply. What would I have to use for hardwood and what is the price range for that type of machinery?
Secondly, are all TM's capable of adding attachments for air ducts, water extractions, tile/grout etc.. or just a few select ones?
Im not sure on the hardwood cleaning machine. It is a stand alone unit. Interlink sells them i think they run around 2500. Dont hold me to that. Its not what i do but i looked into it several years ago. And yes most truck mounts can run most of the attachments. Of course the heat suction and psi vary from machine to machine.

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
I run prochem TMs i have 2 peaks and 1 apex. Personally i will either buy Apex or everest from now on. I like power lol. But dont get me wrong the Peak is a great TM.

Mar 28, 2014
Real Name
John King
Sounds to me like you need to take some classes on the services you want to offer! Basic carpet cleaning is not rocket science, but the classes will give you the knowledge on how to do the job correctly and the confidence to talk to the home owner. I started with a used portable and a dream, and instructions on how to clean with a "Rug-doctor Machine". My sales rep talked me into coming to a carpet cleaning class and later on into buying my first truckmount. I learned more in 2 days than I had in the year I had been guessing how to clean. The comradery at the classes is awesome! That first class was nearly 30 years ago and got me into something I love to do! Now my son is in the business too! The bug has got him bad, he is always taking classes and reading Truckmount Forms, a great place to get information.

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Sounds to me like you need to take some classes on the services you want to offer! Basic carpet cleaning is not rocket science, but the classes will give you the knowledge on how to do the job correctly and the confidence to talk to the home owner. I started with a used portable and a dream, and instructions on how to clean with a "Rug-doctor Machine". My sales rep talked me into coming to a carpet cleaning class and later on into buying my first truckmount. I learned more in 2 days than I had in the year I had been guessing how to clean. The comradery at the classes is awesome! That first class was nearly 30 years ago and got me into something I love to do! Now my son is in the business too! The bug has got him bad, he is always taking classes and reading Truckmount Forms, a great place to get information.
Amen brother

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
Im not sure on the hardwood cleaning machine. It is a stand alone unit. Interlink sells them i think they run around 2500. Dont hold me to that. Its not what i do but i looked into it several years ago. And yes most truck mounts can run most of the attachments. Of course the heat suction and psi vary from machine to machine.
Just to confirm, tile/grout can be cleaned with the TM as well right? Btw, great information, thanks a bunch :)

William

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
I run prochem TMs i have 2 peaks and 1 apex. Personally i will either buy Apex or everest from now on. I like power lol. But dont get me wrong the Peak is a great TM.
Apex is a great machine, but at $26k it's way out of my budget. I would like the ability to do carpets, tile/grout, air ducts, etc... but I think at $26k it's out of reach. If you had to do it at a lower price point, which unit would you go with that can do the aforementioned?

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
You're absolutely right, and I do intend on doing that. I'm at a very early stage of my research and am on the fence about going in all the way. If I do go in, then will definitely take the courses as you've suggested. Thanks again :)

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
I would suggest starting out with carpet cleaning and used affordable truck mount. Once you master that you. An add services as people will eventually start asking you if you do other services besides carpet cleaning. You know you are doing a good job when clients start asking for more services and they got their wallet out ready to spend.

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
Don't worry too much now about adding services because you can make a killer living being a great carpet cleaner. The rest will come with time I promise. Started out 13 years ago with a portable and now have 5 trucks and 9 staff full time.

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
Don't worry too much now about adding services because you can make a killer living being a great carpet cleaner. The rest will come with time I promise. Started out 13 years ago with a portable and now have 5 trucks and 9 staff full time.
Wow! That's seriously quite the accomplishment. If I get to 10% of where you're at, I'm a happy camper :) I guess I just wanted to ask because in case I do branch out to other areas, I want to make sure my machine is set up for it. The TM is a huge investment for me and I wouldn't want to buy another one just because I didn't get the right one the first time around. I'm mainly considering carpets, rugs, tile/grout, and extraction. I'd be a single operator with no staff so I guess that would mean a single wand unit. I really don't know what machine would be a good choice so that it is capable of doing all of the above listed?

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
My first unit was an old purple van with a Prochem Performer 405. Still use it today but in a newer van. It does everything and at a reasonable price too. You can find them used pretty easy. You can go in debt buying new equipment but a good operator with some mechanical knowledge can make a good income with used equipment. We don't buy unless we can pay for it. Just my way but certainly not the only was as I'm sure others will chime in.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Upholstery requires less water pressure, less water volume, less vacuum than carpet cleaning. So any truckmount that can clean carpet will also clean upholstery.

The most popular tile & Grout tools (attachments) require 100 to 1200 PSI and 4 Gallons per minute or more of water flow. Many truckmounts can do this, but not all. Usually you would need to be something above the basic level truckmount.

Hardwood can be done with a 175 RPM floor machine (AKA buffer). These run anywhere from a couple hundred dollars used to around $1,000 new. They can do hardwood and a lot of other things when combined with the right brushes, pads, bonnets, etc. If you have not used one before, it does take a while to learn to operate.

Hardwood can also be done (and much faster if you are also applying finish) with a tool made especially for hardwood. They run from under $2000 to about $5000 depending upon size and features. Here is a link to a basic hardwood cleaning machine - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=MH80

It might be good for you to go into a distributor that sells several brands of truckmounts and has them on display for you to try out and see how they operate and what each can do. Where do you live? I can probably direct you to a distributor in your area.

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
What price range are you looking to spend?
For my first unit... I am looking to keep the TM under 18K. With that being said, there are a few "must haves" and these are:

(1) Serviceability - I would like a name brand that technicians won't shy away from repairing/fixing once it is beyond the warranty period.

(2) Power - I just found out that the hose length is dependent on the power. I want to (hopefully) be able to get more than 200 feet vacuum suction power. (If this is reasonable?)

(3) The ability to add attachments for carpet, rugs, extraction, tile/grout, etc...

(4) A machine that will truly maintain constant hot temperature and not noticeably sag under load.

What would be your recommendations with the above parameters?

Sep 17, 2017
Real Name
William Jams
My first unit was an old purple van with a Prochem Performer 405. Still use it today but in a newer van. It does everything and at a reasonable price too. You can find them used pretty easy. You can go in debt buying new equipment but a good operator with some mechanical knowledge can make a good income with used equipment. We don't buy unless we can pay for it. Just my way but certainly not the only was as I'm sure others will chime in.
I'm open to suggestions, and I thank you for this one :)