Heating a TM trailer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Does anyone have a better less expensive way to keep your trailer above freezing. This oil filled heater does the job but its expensive to run because it doesn't have a way to manage the temp inside the trailer.
20181021_205556.jpg
Screenshot_20181006-144357_Gallery.jpg

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Curious also, what about once you pull the heater and are driving to your 1st job? Only thing i can think of is winterize it everytime but that can get pretty expensive also with antifreeze.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Curious also, what about once you pull the heater and are driving to your 1st job? Only thing i can think of is winterize it everytime but that can get pretty expensive also with antifreeze.
I don't think it would freeze that fast unless you are working in subzero degree temps.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Ive had box trucks with machines in them freeze high 20s with a 20 to 30 min drive before
Wow , that seems pretty fast. I usually use the heater and winterize. I don't work during the winter unless its a big enough job to justify the risk of freezing.
I was thinking about some kind of solar energy to power the heater.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Wow , that seems pretty fast. I usually use the heater and winterize. I don't work during the winter unless its a big enough job to justify the risk of freezing.
I was thinking about some kind of solar energy to power the heater.
Solar would be bad ass if you could get enough power to heat

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You can charge batteries between jobs off your 7 way trailer plug. I have done it for 5 years with my boat. Once the house/crank batteries are full the battery combiner I installed starts charging my trolling motor batteries too. I rarely if ever have to charge my boat once I get home. If you decide to go that route I can direct you to the right places to set it up.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
The cab heater could potentially do both, but you need to figure out consumption at home vs an electric milk house type heater for your climate and nights under freezing.
Im looking for an energy efficient heater with a thermostat that will control the room temperature. My problem is with the oil filled heater the thermostat controls the heater temp not the room temp. So at night the trailer is say 40` then during the day it jumps up to 60° or 70° it never turns off .

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
You need a space heater that pushes air. One with a fan. I use the oil filled heaters in the house.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I live 100% off the grid using solar only. Honestly before I’d invest the clams in a electric heater I’d use oil lamps. (Which I do for my van) solar will require panels between 12-48v, a charge controller, battery bank, And inverter. IF I was dedicated to do that, I’d use 12v heat and skip the 120v interver. 12v to 12v is much more efficient.
Or plan B is buy a RV charge controller, inverter with shore power, and use a small generator to charge your battery bank.