Real Name
Mike
Just grind it and put down an epoxy or stain lol

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
You know those perforation tools they use to put holes in wallpaper so the chemical and steam can penetrate to the wall better? I wonder if that would be effective for wax. Even taking a pole scrapper and digging a line to the floor in a few spots and letting the stripper dwell there. Seems like if the stripper could get under the wax it would be more effective then trying to strip top down.
I've had this thought in the past I've just been too worried about damaging the tile to try it. Makes sense though. Areas surrounding deep scratches in the finish always seem to strip faster and more thoroughly than the rest of the floor. I saw a heavy steel wire brush for a 175 once that looked like it would probably scratch the wax pretty deep though.

Wish I could get my Barracuda up there.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I've had this thought in the past I've just been too worried about damaging the tile to try it. Makes sense though. Areas surrounding deep scratches in the finish always seem to strip faster and more thoroughly than the rest of the floor. I saw a heavy steel wire brush for a 175 once that looked like it would probably scratch the wax pretty deep though.

Wish I could get my Barracuda up there.
You should be able to lance a section with the pole scrapper to try.

There must be something that won't bite all the way down. Maybe @aloha one can come up with something for us.

Reactions: aloha one

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
You should be able to lance a section with the pole scrapper to try.

There must be something that won't bite all the way down. Maybe @aloha one can come up with something for us.
I might give the pole thing a try. See what happens if I scrape a line every 12 - 18 inches.

VCT is pretty durable so I'm sure something could be put together to score the finish without tearing up the tile. @aloha one you have a new challenge. We're counting on you :D

Reactions: aloha one

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Vct keeps me busy! Tough job but the before and after results are worth it every time. Go heavy on the stripper. Look for the man recommendation of its strongest dilution rate. Let it sit at least 7 minutes, id go 10. I use a swing machine so I use more aggressive maroon pads. My stripper usually breaks through all the wax, I can feel the resistance when I scrub. I'll go through more pads but you can charge for that. That's how I go about it with a swing machine

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: leuj20

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
15×15 room ?? If you can't take care of that in 8 hours from start to finish even with high build up you're doing something wrong.

Get some bonesaw, mix it 16:1 and put it on heavy enough that ducks can swim over it, let it dwell for 20 min, stick a hi pro pad on your wallbanger and go to town. Should be able to get majority of it up in the first strip then for the second apply stripper liberally and go at it again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Borrow a burnisher with a black or blue pad. Lay down your stripper and go to town. I just did an awful vct with 6 years of build of up shit and wax. Stripped with the burnisher in 10 seconds. Used zep vct stripper.
20161014_102212.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using TMF Forums mobile app

leuj20

May 18, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
Went in to do a job last night and it took 5 hours to strip one 15x15 office. Called the guy that hired me and asked how much wax is on the floor. All he could say for sure is its been two years since it was last stripped and that its been top coated at least 4 times a year but the guy that used to work that location was known to put down as many as 6 coats at a time and may have waxed the offices more often than 4 times a year.

I've never stripped a floor and after scrubbing with a nylo grit brush and removing the slurry had the floor still look smooth and shiny with finish. I felt like after even the third try I could have let it dry, buffed it and left.

We are reassessing weather he wants me to continue. I'm charging $40 an hour and at this rate its going to take about 40 - 50 hours.
We'va had a few of those, one thing when we bid on strip jobs,is we mix a some stripper at 4 to1 in a small bottle and ask the person if I can make a test and go to one of the walls and try a 3x3 area and keep talking with them while walking the place right before I get done with the estimate I go back and I use my finger or a towel or a small center pad and see how thick the wax is, this has helped me avoid thos nightmare jobs, and get as much as 1dollar a sq ft to strip (not many) but I rather stay at home at night with my kids instead of being on a nightmare job.

I hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Will C

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Mike Krall

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
Correct. Usually I use a 175 but the burnisher really buffs down heave layers of qax and dirt.

Man..How in the heck do you keep that stripper from slinging a mile away. I'm guessing you have a splash guard around. Does it not gunk up under the pad driver? So you think the higher rpms gives you better results then more weight ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: MikeGaure

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I've never used an electric burnished to strip floors in my life. I'd kill any of the staff that ever attempted that. It's not what they were meant for aside for all of the obvious reasons I'm way way way to picky with my equipment to ever have it put on dirty old striper slurry! Gees I'm cringing just thinking of it!!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Man..How in the heck do you keep that stripper from slinging a mile away. I'm guessing you have a splash guard around. Does it not gunk up under the pad driver? So you think the higher rpms gives you better results then more weight ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app
I got a powr flight 1750 from an auction for $15.00 with a guard. I dont care if it gets gunked it was $15.00. The high speed is what really burns through I believe. I would never recommend a burnisher in traditional vct. But in some cases you gotta break the rules.
20161010_111440.jpg

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If you're feeling adventurous, I'm going to back Kenneth 100% on the recommendation on those pads - ETC's Diamondbacks are insanely aggressive, I've been known to cut my fingers to shreds getting them out of the box.

Use a quality stripper like Bare Bones from NCL, boosted with sodium hydroxide and mixed COLD, not hot, with at least 30-45 minutes dwell time. You can even use the pads to agitate the surface of the finish to give the stripper some "grip" during the dwell. Put a trimmed-down pad between the Diamondback and the driver if possible, those things are wicked thin and if you're not careful you could dig into the VCT. You still might have to go over it more than once, depending on just how thick that stuff is.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Borrow a burnisher with a black or blue pad. Lay down your stripper and go to town. I just did an awful vct with 6 years of build of up shit and wax. Stripped with the burnisher in 10 seconds. Used zep vct stripper.View attachment 69638

Wouldn't that set the dirt into the tile due to the speed and heat the machine is putting out?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Im just sayin what I did cause I didnt wanna gum up my 175. It worked great.

Yeah I'm not doubting what you did, just trying to understand it. The only time I've heard people do this were stories with bad endings. I'm open to any ideas that make stripping an easier job.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
A good stripper and these pads and you will have to go over it several times. Use long dwell time and scrub it good. Rinse pads between times while you are letting it dwell.
http://www.markoinc.com/diamondback_extreme_stripping_pads/
What's the catch Ken? They seem pretty inexpensive and kind of odd sizes.

I have a zillion sq' of VCT coming up to strip and would love to get an edge. I'll have to order some up to try.

Did you buy one of those square scrub machines that does edges? I'm thinking of adding one of those to my tool box.