How wealthy were your parents?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How wealthy were your parents? Poor, middle class or rich? Mine were very poor. We sometimes went without food if you were late to table and had food stamps as kids. Never had family vacation, never went out dinner and I quit school to work. I worked as a paperboy, cut grass and worked full time jobs starting in early teens.

Now I’m not complaining as it taught me to value money and appreciate all I have now. Couldn’t get a high paying job so I started my own company and the rest is history. Thinking about this got me to thinking, how many carpet cleaners came from poor, middle or upper class. So, how wealthy were your parents?

Mar 17, 2011
on canada
Real Name
mike rawn
Business Location
Canada
Parents inherited, blew it all. I see this lots. Lots. My financial adviser told me that many of us will be living into our 90's, spend nothing. My second truck/window soft washing pickup I bought is a mint 1985 d150 Dodge slant 6, $1000.00 lol. It will look great with a wrap. I looked at a 2018 v6 Chev, $27K. I went and sat in the Dodge, felt better than sitting on top of CDN $30K debt :).

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Poor most of the time. We did food stamps, collected pop bottles on the walk to school to pay for school lunches. But they were rich in spiritual values and love. I never felt "under-privileged" and learned money was not the main thing in life.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Not rich in no way. In poverty level yes. We ate cereal with water pretty regularly. Milk was like cookies. You only saw them on certain occasions. Everything was a handmedown. Bikes, some cloths, furniture... My dad was a auto body man. But my uncle got him in working for some big carpet house out of jersey. Lol he installed out of a Volkswagen and not the bus version :D They only bought the bare necessities. I didnt care much. I played outside all the time. So toys and crap i never really had much of.
When i was probably 10 ish he started working on renovating hotels in my uncles company. I remember when i was about 12 i was waking up to get a ride from my uncles carpenters to penns grove nj to work with them. I rode in BACK of truck. Yep good ole days. Aint allowed to do that no more. My dad was running another site in baltimore at that same time. He earned enough to partner with my uncle and buy property to build a house. That one went up and sold think a year later. The other property my dad picked up on his own they lost in the 80's crash. Once again no milk for my cereal. He left construction which pretty much died and they partnered again selling/installing kitchens. That was short lived and so he went full time on his own selling/installing carpet out of an old f-150 pickup. Rainy days sucked. Had to shrink wrap every roll 100% then tarp. Until he finally got a van cheap off of a friend. He's still doing the same today. Just not as much. May e 2 installs a week. There was patchy times where it was more like handy man service paint this, Install water heater, install a few windows... But always kept busy and avoided assistance like the plague. He would not except help in hand. He felt he had to earn it. And knowing how my grandfather was i could see why. You learn you never want to be in someone elses pocket for good reason.

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
My parents got married right after WWII. They were poor in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. It wasn't until the 1970s when things started to improve for them and us 4 kids. Yes, we too did the plaid stamps, green stamps and of course hand me downs. In the early days I remember we had a half of a sandwich for lunch.

I too collected soda bottles, cut grass, delivered news papers and caddied. Whatever it took. And it was all wonderful. If I could go back in time, I would. I would absolutely do it all over again.

We grew up at the tail end of goodness. And I miss it.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
I was raised on a farm (produces a strong work ethic) which is the best place to be poor as there is no lack of food. My parents gifted me with spiritual values and to value education. I never thought about being poor in my youth until I was out on my own. All 4 of us ended up with Master Degrees. I am the only one who did not end up as a teacher, even though I teach everyday in some way.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
We weren't exactly poor. At least I always had milk for my cereal! We also had hens out back for a while until some dogs got in their pen and killed them all. We ate beans and chili at least once a week like clock work! My Dad put out a pretty large garden every year that covered over 1/2 our property. That helped to feed a family of 2 parents and 9 kids. I'm number 9. Both parents worked at a local shoe factory most of their adult lives. My Mom also was an excellent seamstress and sewed many dresses and baby clothes for numbers of people while I grew up for extra income. She also sewed some of my shirts as I grew up. As for me, I was pretty much a worthless bum. :) I did mow the lawn and take out the trash. I also helped my Dad plant and harvest that large garden every year. I left home and joined the Navy a 18 hoping to see a little of the world. I did see a little in San Diego and Parris Island, but that was about it. I'd say we were lower middle class. Only time I recall having food stamps is when my Mom left my Dad a couple times and we moved into government housing projects.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I’d say fairly poor. Didn’t know there was such thing as shampoo till I was in my twenty’s. We used laundry soap.
Used gum rubbers as winter boots and in the North they weren’t much good for warmth. Keep the wet out though lol! Wouldn’t change a damn thing! I had it a 100 times better than all the kids today. Plus I can add! lol

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Upper Middle Class. Dad was a CPA for the City, he was the only Gentile partner of a Jewish accounting firm back in the 70's. Made 6 figures for back then which is pretty good I suppose.

I didn't inherit any money, half sister took Executorship of his will and took all the money, blew it on vacations etc. Fun times.

Money truly isn't everything, there's a point where it's more of a burden than a blessing. But a new Sapphire 1200 SE truck mount sure wouldn't hurt... =)

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
What's middle class now a days;)
Poor to middle, No college
Father was a farmer,butcher,25 years as maintenance man at our hospital.
Mother worked in a hot factory for 30 years,and could cook like a wonder women.

I'm the youngest of 3 boys ( 61) and I am the only one that was selfemployed.
Oh...and I went to the college " of hard knocks "....Great course for life.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
We were on the line between poor and middle class. But we rarely lived like it. We learned to be thrifty and smart with how we spent our money. You don't have to be wealthy to enjoy nice things. Nice things don't have to cost a million dollars.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Poor to middle dad was a journyman plumber, mom was a nurse lpn. Never went without food or shelter or clothes on our backs. Mom always picked up extra shifts and dad almost always worked 14 to 16 hours a day. I owe them everything i am and have today.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Upper middle class and parents educated but my dad is not a fan of spending money lol. We always had old cars and he would spend weekends fixing them himself which he enjoyed. He used to build rockets at the jet propulsion lab in california then a teacher. My mom immigrated from Denmark at 10yrs old in the 50s, Denmark was very very poor back then after being occupied by nazi Germany.

We never were lacking basic needs but never fancy vacations or fancy cars etc

Definitely went to school with some extremely wealthy, entitled kids...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
My Dad was Batallion Chief of the Fire Department and he taught a lot of First Responder classes at the local college. As a kid I didnt have what other kids had materialistically but they were the best ever parents. I remember when I was young and did something bad (happened way too often) my Mom would say "your not going to inherit anything - its all going to the missioneries" I was thinking in my head "inherit what? We dont have anything!"

Turns out that when they passed, they had a $700,000 trust set aside for New Tribes Mission in Florida. My sister ran the trust but really didnt do anything with it (except continue to make quarterly disbursements that Dad did when he was alive) but she passed away a few years ago. Then the responsibility became mine and (with Gods help) grew it to just over $900,000 while continuing to make quarterly disbursements.

I guess they were very well off. The kids just didnt know it.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Poor most of their lives . Didn’t really start doing well till the ‘70’s and then not to good again as they aged . Lots of medical problems over the years for both . Raised me okay so I’m grateful for that .
All the Best , Ed

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Poorish but we didn't know it---everyone around us was as bad off or worse. My first paper route was in the 3rd grade. Grit weekly papers. I had 3 customers and I got 5 cents each. I mowed lawns, baby sat. I always had money because I would not spend it. Lucky as Mom and Dad loved us. My first paid for haircut was as a junior in high school and I had to pay for it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States