If you could start over...

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
If you could start over knowing all you know now about the cc business, would you still get Into it? As an entrepreneur I'm constantly thinking of new business ideas as I'm sure many of you are as well. Just curious, if you could start over what business would you get into? Carpet cleaning? Or something else?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
If I was at the same age I originally started, Yes I would. There was alot of uh-ohs that I did of course and most of the uh ohs was not keeping my part time job long enough, cold calls, and building a website

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Yes , Yes I would, I make a great living now and if I could start over knowing what I know now it would be a much easier road.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The only thing I would have done differently is invested in more land and homes that I had opportunity to buy Matthew. I made some great buys but missed a few great deals. But the past doesn't equal the future. So I look forward while learning from my past mistakes to insure my future is better.

I do wish I had the "internet" and a site like "Truckmountforums". My business would be a monster by now. :D

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Firstly, I would have started out sooner. My first 9 years as an OO , I offered low prices and of course faster work. I wish I would have started my business model in the beginning as a provider of quality like I've done for the last 10. If I could do those 2 things different , I'd be a hell of a lot richer and I'd be off the truck years ago.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
Yes, what would I change, almost everything.

Reactions: Deco

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
If you could start over knowing all you know now about the cc business, would you still get Into it? As an entrepreneur I'm constantly thinking of new business ideas as I'm sure many of you are as well. Just curious, if you could start over what business would you get into? Carpet cleaning? Or something else?
I would have stopped myself from thinking of new business ideas....

Wasted a lot of time and money on various schemes in my 20's when i should have been focused on building this business from day 1. I would be retired by now....

Would have invested more, way more. Diversified - stocks, land, rental property, bonds etc.
Like i do now, wish someone told me that 15 years ago!

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I would of moved out of the bigger more saturated market earlier.
The best move I made was getting away from Winnipeg and moving out to a smaller town 40 miles away.
Started in WPG in 92 , moved out of city in 97.
I was able to raise my prices, concentrate on top quality and build a very loyal client base.
Winnipeg is known for price shoppers and is very blue collar.
Not saying you can't get top dollar in a saturated ( full of lowballers) blue collar price shopping town, but found it a hell of alot easier to charge large out in the sticks!I do service alot of smaller community's and rural areas.
My area is still bombarded with WPG outfits trying to get work, and I have three other local guys to compete with.
The area has supported me well, took a few years to get going !

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
I would not do it again...of course I came into the game late, and I am located in a super competitive area. I won't even go as far as saying I have have a ton of super low-ballers around me, we just have a TON of carpet cleaners, most of which are in the 3 room for $100 range.

I rarely go a day without seeing 5-10 CC vans, this of course includes restoration companies like Serv-Pro and the like, and Stanley's fleet.

Reactions: Kaden

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Knowing what I know now I would still start a business. The changes would be buying a different TM, learn SEO and put more effort into marketing. I knew how to clean carpets when I started but did not know how to run a business.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
The only thing I regret is not working for a WDR company prior.

I only volunteered with a CC company.

I am trying to learn WDR by reading, and its taking way to long for my liking.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I would have stopped myself from thinking of new business ideas....

Wasted a lot of time and money on various schemes in my 20's when i should have been focused on building this business from day 1. I would be retired by now....

Would have invested more, way more. Diversified - stocks, land, rental property, bonds etc.
Like i do now, wish someone told me that 15 years ago!
There is a lot of truth here, folks. Like Shane I let myself get "distracted" far too often. Find what works for you and then "Lather-rinse-repeat"!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I urge people to always implement a Personal Investment Program. (PIP) Too few do.

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
My primary regret is that I didn't get started sooner. I spent too many years as an employee instead of as an employer. I was able to go full time after one year. Doubled the income of the best job I had after 2 years and more then tripled it after 3 years. I am going to be pursuing water damage and restoration this coming spring. After I do that I will probably have a new regret hopefully.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Knowing what I know now I would still start a business. The changes would be buying a different TM, learn SEO and put more effort into marketing. I knew how to clean carpets when I started but did not know how to run a business.
That was a lot of us Jason. ;)

Reactions: Dafloorman