Kettle bells or dumb bells? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Kettle bells or dumb bells?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I'm looking to buy 1 or the other and just wondering if one is superior to the other.

It seems obvious that both are weights but reading up on the bells makes them sound like they provide a better results.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I'm looking to buy 1 or the other and just wondering if one is superior to the other.

It seems obvious that both are weights but reading up on the bells makes them sound like they provide a better results.
Ask @Prosteam-sonomacounty he's the fitness guy. He like to take pictures of himself lol. Good guy.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Dumbbells w/ utility bench imo. Can do many exercises. Down side need broad range of weights up to guess at least 75 lbs to start.

Reactions: Mike Krall

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Or buy adjustable dumbbells.
I thought about the bowflex select. But didnt know anyone who had them long enough to say if they held up or not. liked the gym welded type or those sporting good stores octagon ones. Some exercises youll want to go from one weight to the next quick without having to remove plates.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Dumbbells w/ utility bench imo. Can do many exercises. Down side need broad range of weights up to guess at least 75 lbs to start.
Mike I work out about 30 minutes a day to keep me strong and fit for this work,, helps with the shoulders and elbows, knees and such,
dumbells but like someone said ask mike prosteam

Reactions: Mike Krall
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I thought about the bowflex select. But didnt know anyone who had them long enough to say if they held up or not. liked the gym welded type or those sporting good stores octagon ones. Some exercises youll want to go from one weight to the next quick without having to remove plates.
I thought about them as well until I saw the price. I bought the adjustable olympic weights.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Mike I work out about 30 minutes a day to keep me strong and fit for this work,, helps with the shoulders and elbows, knees and such,
dumbells but like someone said ask mike prosteam
Dumb bells and utility bench are perfect. Can do prettymuch everything. And offer more range of motion that muscles are not accustomed to. The dumbells and bench also takes up little space. Careful with the shoulder exercises.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I thought about them as well until I saw the price. I bought the adjustable olympic weights.
They are expensive. Best to buy used. There are places selling used equipment. Still kinda pricey. Look on craigs list gyms sell off their old stuff or they closed down. Lol most of the time if you talk to customers about working out not getting into detail but it comes up from time to time. They always know someone with a basement full of equipment that the wife wants gone. Ive been offered hammer strength equip, pullys with stacks, Olympic sets like you mentioned. Complete dumbell sets up to 100 lbs with racks, 3 different pool tables, a smith machine. But then i lived in apartment so i had no place for it. Now i wish i had takin it all and put in storage.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Dumb bells and utility bench are perfect. Can do prettymuch everything. And offer more range of motion that muscles are not accustomed to. The dumbells and bench also takes up little space. Careful with the shoulder exercises.
I do military presses for my shoulders just to help work faster

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
For you guys that are saying dumbbells....Have you ever even used a kettle bell? The Russians were using kettle bells for years before we saw the value in them. Joe Rogan says the single most valuable piece of equipment he has and the one he would choose if he had to pick just one.
I doubt Mike is going for the big bulky look, he is looking to stay in shape so he doesn't need umpteen different sets of dumbbells. Body weight exercises and some kettle bells would be best in my opinion

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I agree with Mike. Machines are good for safety. I work out at home so I do a bunch of free weights, and dumbbells are a big part. I just started some cross fit routines and the dumbbells are a big part of that. Never used a kettle bell. :)

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
For you guys that are saying dumbbells....Have you ever even used a kettle bell? The Russians were using kettle bells for years before we saw the value in them. Joe Rogan says the single most valuable piece of equipment he has and the one he would choose if he had to pick just one.
I doubt Mike is going for the big bulky look, he is looking to stay in shape so he doesn't need umpteen different sets of dumbbells. Body weight exercises and some kettle bells would be best in my opinion

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app
I work out mostly to protect my joints and tendons to be able to work effectively but my workouts are also aimed at increasing my static strength for jiu-jitsu.
I do zero rest in between sets.
It puts a ton of stress in a small amount of time on the muscle.
My workouts take 20-25 minutes.

As you can tell from this clip, I'm not bulky but I'm not skinny either

Reactions: crash1big

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
Lots of good articles if you do a google search for which is better. Depends on what you are going for. Only thing to watch with machines is that they tend to be linear in that they don't activate stabilizer muscles too well and can leave them weaker than the main muscle being used. Just need to make sure you do varied exercises on them

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I agree with Mike. Machines are good for safety. I work out at home so I do a bunch of free weights, and dumbbells are a big part. I just started some cross fit routines and the dumbbells are a big part of that. Never used a kettle bell. :)
IMO, most of the strength and building occurs in the last part of an exercise where yer at the point of failure.
Nothing better to keep you in that zone like machines, when yer working out solo

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Lifting beer cans Marlan is Not working out!;):D