aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Dumbbells w/ utility bench imo. Can do many exercises. Down side need broad range of weights up to guess at least 75 lbs to start.
Hmmmm let's see here......Dumbbells or Kettlebells?
If you Bozos want a Real workout go for the Wedding Bells!:ROFLMAO:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You can work out with free weights and not become a giant. With bulking up the weights are only part of it. The other half is type of diet. Same with cutting weight and fat its building muscle and completely different diet. With dumbells you can work till failure. Other muscles youre not used to have to assist to keep dumbell in motion as the other hand cant help stabilize the weight. Work till failure then just drop them.

I like what Mike is saying. Work out till failure. That was my favorite because you get the same results in less time. Those last few reps are what is doing the work. Pushing muscles past their memory.
I said many weights as youll need a broad range of dumbell weight as chest is stronger then arms, legs are stronger then chest and so on. Most sets come 5-50lbs so not going to become a hulk with those. But can maintain muscle yes.

If you got the cash and time? Then join a gym like Mike said. Reasons One you can get help/advise from others there. 2. The machines available. i was a big fan of machines. (Especially for back & leg exercises) 3. The atmosphere. Your more likely to work out without messing around at gym then home. Others are watching waiting for their chance to use machine so it kinda pushes you along. At home you may tend to stray away for 5 min. here 10 min. there.

Reactions: aloha one

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
You can work out with free weights and not become a giant. With bulking up the weights are only part of it. The other half is type of diet. Same with cutting weight and fat its building muscle and completely different diet. With dumbells you can work till failure. Other muscles youre not used to have to assist to keep dumbell in motion as the other hand cant help stabilize the weight. Work till failure then just drop them.

I like what Mike is saying. Work out till failure. That was my favorite because you get the same results in less time. Those last few reps are what is doing the work. Pushing muscles past their memory.
I said many weights as youll need a broad range of dumbell weight as chest is stronger then arms, legs are stronger then chest and so on. Most sets come 5-50lbs so not going to become a hulk with those. But can maintain muscle yes.

If you got the cash and time? Then join a gym like Mike said. Reasons One you can get help/advise from others there. 2. The machines available. i was a big fan of machines. (Especially for back & leg exercises) 3. The atmosphere. Your more likely to work out without messing around at gym then home. Others are watching waiting for their chance to use machine so it kinda pushes you along. At home you may tend to stray away for 5 min. here 10 min. there.
You don't say.....It Worked for me!

chinese-crested-hairless-dog.jpg

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
For you guys that are saying dumbbells....Have you ever even used a kettle bell? The Russians were using kettle bells for years before we saw the value in them. Joe Rogan says the single most valuable piece of equipment he has and the one he would choose if he had to pick just one.
I doubt Mike is going for the big bulky look, he is looking to stay in shape so he doesn't need umpteen different sets of dumbbells. Body weight exercises and some kettle bells would be best in my opinion

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app
That's what led me to post here. Russian farmers apparently 'invented' the kettle bell and I've never seen one of those guys that aren't strong and fit.

Yeah, I'm just looking to protect my body as I start to age by adding some muscle. I don't have any back, arm, leg issues yet and I'd like to keep it that way.

And no I don't want to have a full gym at my house. Just something to use on the days I can't make it to the gym.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Probably not the answer you are looking for but I haven't used free weights as a staple of my workouts in years.
I much prefer machines
Can't beat the safety, speed and ability to train to failure without a partner like machines provide.
I'd just join a good health club
I'm actually surprised you said machines. I was always under the impression that you can't really get to the level you are at with them and free weights was the way to go.

I know the machines are safer and probably better to start with to keep the correct form, but I'm just looking for something for the house so I don't have to go to the gym every day.

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
That's what led me to post here. Russian farmers apparently 'invented' the kettle bell and I've never seen one of those guys that aren't strong and fit.

Yeah, I'm just looking to protect my body as I start to age by adding some muscle. I don't have any back, arm, leg issues yet and I'd like to keep it that way.

And no I don't want to have a full gym at my house. Just something to use on the days I can't make it to the gym.
Exatcly...I'd highly recommend some yoga combined with body weight exercises and even some resistance bands and kettle bells to give you lots of options.you can keep it short and sweet and still get your heart going while gaining flexibility and muscle. All kinds of videos for different kinds of power yoga that will challenge you beyond your imagination.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Exatcly...I'd highly recommend some yoga combined with body weight exercises and even some resistance bands and kettle bells to give you lots of options.you can keep it short and sweet and still get your heart going while gaining flexibility and muscle. All kinds of videos for different kinds of power yoga that will challenge you beyond your imagination.

Stop it already with the healthy talk will ya.
fat.jpg

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
Stop it already with the healthy talk will ya.
View attachment 69553
You my friend should look up some info on the fast mimicking diet.

I know the problems you are dealing with and I wish I would have had this info three years ago when my brother died at the age of 42 from non small cell lung cancer leaving two teenage kids behind.

Reactions: Mike Krall

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
IMO, most of the strength and building occurs in the last part of an exercise where yer at the point of failure.
Nothing better to keep you in that zone like machines, when yer working out solo
Yah, when you get in that zone with free weights; they fall on you. :)

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I'm actually surprised you said machines. I was always under the impression that you can't really get to the level you are at with them and free weights was the way to go.

I know the machines are safer and probably better to start with to keep the correct form, but I'm just looking for something for the house so I don't have to go to the gym every day.
Anything is better than nothing but some things are better than others

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I work out mostly to protect my joints and tendons to be able to work effectively but my workouts are also aimed at increasing my static strength for jiu-jitsu.
I do zero rest in between sets.
It puts a ton of stress in a small amount of time on the muscle.
My workouts take 20-25 minutes.

As you can tell from this clip, I'm not bulky but I'm not skinny either

Glad to hear you say that because I do it for joints and tendons too and it seems to keep me strong and working fast,, what do you do for the tendon training

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

I know the problems you are dealing with and I wish I would have had this info three years ago when my brother died at the age of 42 from non small cell lung cancer leaving two teenage kids behind.

What CHEW talkin bouts Willis?
pig.jpg

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

Meanwhile........
pizza.jpg

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Sorry to hear about your brother Joe.