Leaking oil | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Leaking oil

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
My Blue Line tends to leak oil after I run it for a few hours it seems to be coming from the valve covers. Am I nuts if I put a new valve gasket on myself ?

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
My Blue Line tends to leak oil after I run it for a few hours it seems to be coming from the valve covers. Am I nuts if I put a new valve gasket on myself ?
It's pretty easy to do. Make sure you remove all of the old gasket from both the cover and the valves.

Put the new one in place and tighten the bolts down, just don't over tighten. A torque wrench helps if you have the torque specs but if not "snug plus"

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
It's pretty easy to do. Make sure you remove all of the old gasket from both the cover and the valves.

Put the new one in place and tighten the bolts down, just don't over tighten. A torque wrench helps if you have the torque specs but if not "snug plus"
Where would you recommend buying one ? Also do you feel my diagnosis is accurate?

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Where would you recommend buying one ? Also do you feel my diagnosis is accurate?
What engine?

If you see oil leaking from the valve covers, the gaskets are bad. I'm not sure what engine you have but most small engines also have a breather valve that can leak. This is usually on the top of the engine near the carburetor. Breather valve leaks oil from the top down and can be tricky to see.

P10der

Jan 16, 2015
Real Name
Guy
had a thermal wave leak oil out the valve cover. Just take that bad boy off like just a few bolts and replace it. got a whole gasket kit from a forklift place for cheap

Hawkins

Oct 15, 2011
Washington
Real Name
Matt Hawkins
Business Location
United States
Another cause for the oil leak out the valve cover could be due to a plugged or clogged pcv valve or breather tube which should be coming off the valve cover. When replacing the gasket double check these things and make sure you can blow air through the ports on the valve cover. If you can, you should be fine just replacing the valve cover gasket.

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
If you've got the Kabota, the most common leak is the oil sending unit. It's located a few inches to the right of the oil filter. Run your finger under it (not running), if there's any oil at all, it's dripping like mad when it's running. Very common....