Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
www.carpetcleaninghoustonpro.com
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
My idle mind had an idea kicking around, I don't know if anyone is doing it but...here's what I'm thinking.

Offering a 30-90 day warranty(not sure how long) for an additional cost(not sure to do it per room or for the job) to clients. It MAY be an upsell but it definetly offers a peace of mind to the customer. If we've just been there because little fido dropped a duece in the living room and the owner just had to pay $150 to get the place cleaned, what is she to do if fido dropped duece again a week after we've left? if not a week, 2 weeks, or a month.....they'd have to pay our minimum charge AND pay for the stain treatment......which will come out to MORE than a warranty. It'll even allow you to call or mail the client before the warranty expires to let them know they can renew for another 30-90(whatever) for the same price.

What are the pro's and cons? let me hear your ideas.

Priceless

User
Dec 9, 2009
California
Real Name
Kevin Price
Business Location
United States
The only problem I see is "some" will abuse it.I know guys that give a stain warranty with the purchase of protectant,they come back out if any spills will not come out with regular spotting.This is right up that fido alley,and it gives them a little peace of mind.

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I am just now starting a "30 day spot free guarantee" at no cost. This includes spills that the customer does. I just bought a spot cleaner so i don't lug out hose's. I am tossing around the idea of an extended 1 year with the purchase of carpet protector.

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
www.carpetcleaninghoustonpro.com
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
I am just now starting a "30 day spot free guarantee" at no cost. This includes spills that the customer does. I just bought a spot cleaner so i don't lug out hose's. I am tossing around the idea of an extended 1 year with the purchase of carpet protector.
So if the client get his/her carpet stained up to where you might need your hoses, it's still at no cost?

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
Yes, but I am betting that a case like that will happen once in a blue moon and the benefits will far out weigh that. Pet stains (pee) are not covered. And if I feel someone starts to abuse the warranty I will not return to work for them EVER! Or maybe put a 4 time limit on it, thats once a week. I don't know many people that can spill that much stuff. Most of the time it will be a drink or food or maybe the dog threw up or pooped.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I like your "30 day Spot Free Guarantee", Matt. Let us know how it works for you. (Hopefully you are also giving the customer a Free Lifetime Supply of spotter with your logo on it as this ties in beautifully with your 30 day warranty.)

RE: your idea of the extended 1 year warranty with protector purchase many of our SFS members are doing this now. They include the warranty for free with every Scotchgard application. Even better, less than 1% of clients actually USE the warranty but all of them get a high "Perception of Value" from the offer. I love it.

Steve Toburen
Director of Training and industry inventor of the Free Lifetime Spotter concept
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS For more on how to write up and promote the 1 year free "spot and spill" protector warranty just go here:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/649/resources/special-reports/dir-special-reports

and then click on the link: "Upselling on the Home Front" The download, like everything else on the SFS site, is free.

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I like your "30 day Spot Free Guarantee", Matt. Let us know how it works for you. (Hopefully you are also giving the customer a Free Lifetime Supply of spotter with your logo on it as this ties in beautifully with your 30 day warranty.)

Thanks, If you start using it in your SFS I want a free seat :bigsmiley:

I don't give free spotter. Only because I have not coughed the $$ for it yet. I plan on it. What is the cost anyway?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Thanks, If you start using it in your SFS I want a free seat :bigsmiley:

I don't give free spotter. Only because I have not coughed the $$ for it yet. I plan on it. What is the cost anyway?
Prices will vary depending on the product you choose and the labeling. How much of the label space do you get to customize? Is it a small space or most of the label? Is it full color or a black and white stick-on label?

How many you purchase at a time and the size of the bottle will also effect the prices.

Cost from around $1.25 to $2.25 is the range.

Check out www.clientretentionformulas.com for a variety of private label spotters.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I think I am getting old ...

I can't believe I let that devious Scott Warrington sneak in behind me on a thread. Let's hope Nick P. doesn't see this sin of mine or Cousin Guido may be tapping on my door with a baseball bat!

Matt, capitalism is all about choice and boy does Jon-Don have choices for you when it come to free spotter. (Not just three options like SOME people I know!) :) here is just one with your custom label plus FREE shipping and all for $1.21 per bottle!

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14152&osCsid=d0c7f793f98b99afc0bb4b8c93a174ae

Steve

PS Actually, Matt, the "Free spotter for life" program was (and still is) the single best marketing concept I have ever come up with. When I came to Jon-Don I gave the idea to them. (I don't make a penny from the program.) Then other "unnamed people" copied it. Whoever you buy the spotter from (even Scotty) just do it. The single best 1.21 you will ever invest. (Or you can spend "1.25 to 2.25" with Scotty.)

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
PS Actually, Matt, the "Free spotter for life" program was (and still is) the single best marketing concept I have ever come up with. When I came to Jon-Don I gave the idea to them. (I don't make a penny from the program.) Then other "unnamed people" copied it. Whoever you buy the spotter from (even Scotty) just do it. The single best 1.21 you will ever invest. (Or you can spend "1.25 to 2.25" with Scotty.)
Well then you are not as smart as i thought you were ... :)

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Well then you are not as smart as i thought you were ... :)
Maybe ... but Jon-Don ...

1. Gives me complete freedom and never micro-manages me.
2. Let's me satisfy my "business addiction" on my schedule.
3. Allows me to work with really talented people. (And Bill Yeadon too.)
4. Is very generous to me financially.

So I guess I just returned the favor!

Steve

PS As a "born-in-the-woll" Lone Wolf entrepreneur I doubt I could ever work for any company that did not give me the four points above. In fact, I wrote an entire special Report on being a Lone Wolf and here it is:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/1986/resources/special-reports/are-you-a-lone-wolf

The download is free.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
My chance to jump in if my buddy Steve is done promoting his website and SFS class.

By the way, Steve made one of those spelling errors or typos he always likes to point out in my posts. It should be "Dyed in the wool." I've been waiting months to find one of his errors. :)

If you are afraid that people will take advantage of you, yes some will. Surveying hundreds of cleaners who offered a ONE YEAR warranty with their stain protector, only between 2 and 3% ever called to have additional service. I suspect very few of that group were taking advantage.

Suppose you got $19.95 extras for the 90 day warranty. Give them a spotter (Your cost under $2.) You still have $18. Even if 1 in 20 (5%) called you back, you would have $360 to pay for that return spot cleaning call. I suspect you call back will be under 2%.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic

SDSinc

Aug 27, 2008
Palm Beach, FL
Real Name
Rick Goodwin
I have been offering a two year written guarantee with my fabric protection for upholstery in my furniture delivery business for three years. We have never had a call back. When I purchased my cleaning business over a year ago I started offering one year on carpet and rugs and two years on upholstery. Again have never had a call back. I sell the crap out of protectant. I also give every client a spotting bottle, well most of the time not the client but their house keepers. Most of my clients have full time cleaning staff. Gotta love Palm Beach.

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
I have been offering a 30 day spot and soil guarantee for about a year. I love it! I go on to explain why we can offer this because the cleaning we do leaves the carpets without a residue and by vacuuming the dirt is gone so your carpets should stay clean! But if the carpets don't, if a spot comes back over the course of the next few weeks I want you to call me back! I am very proud of our work and I will come back with a smile and re-clean that area. We get about 1 in 30 that has us go over an area again. I love it when they do. Gives us a chance to show them we stand behind our work and impresses them so much we generally get another customer or two out of it. I don't have issues with people that abuse it so far. Our pricing model discourages that type of people that would take advantage of it. On a side note, we do come across carpets that are OMG. In that case I put a disclaimer that I can't guarantee all the spots will come out or that the will stay gone. I say that the carpet is in really bad shape and we are the best in the area but I can only improve the condition. These customers understand and we still give it our best effort. I had one last year that I just couldn't get to look as good as I wanted. I gave it everything I could but it had some weird staining that may have been caused by a home cleaner. Anyways I took the check and told myself "Those guys are never going to call me again" Turns out they appreciated the effort I put out so much, (and the carpet was clean just looked awful" that they refered me to another customer! So yes 30 day guarantee works great and gives a significant edge to the same old industry standard "Satisfaction guarantee"

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Richard is so right:
So yes 30 day guarantee works great and gives a significant edge to the same old industry standard "Satisfaction guarantee"
It is all about "differentiation". ANYTHING that moves you out of the "carpet cleaning is just a commodity" crowd and in to a "this is a very different (and special) individual and/or company" is exactly what you want to promote. I obviously think offering a 12 month "Spot and Spill Warranty" on ALL your Scotchgard applications is great: (see above post)

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/2268/resources/special-reports/up-selling-on-the-home-front

However, I also like Richard's point about a "30 day Spot Guarantee". My guess is VERY few customers would abuse it and the guarantee will have a very high "perception of value" in your customer's mind while in reality being a very low cost expense to you. In other words, "Maximum bang for the buck" in your constant search for "differentiation"! (What's not to like?)

Steve

PS Here is a checklist of a dozen (actually 13) ways to set yourself apart from the hordes of other carpet cleaners in your market area. the download is free and I'll never, ever spam you. (Too busy to bother! :) )

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/1851/resources/special-reports/12-secrets-to-success-in-carpet-cleaning

I would appreciate your opinion and suggestions for improving this "differentiation check list." After all, we're all in this together!

Sarrik

Sep 23, 2010
WI
www.sarrikclean.com
Real Name
Eirik Nelson
Business Location
United States
Re: I think I am getting old ...

I can't believe I let that devious Scott Warrington sneak in behind me on a thread. Let's hope Nick P. doesn't see this sin of mine or Cousin Guido may be tapping on my door with a baseball bat!

Matt, capitalism is all about choice and boy does Jon-Don have choices for you when it come to free spotter. (Not just three options like SOME people I know!) :) here is just one with your custom label plus FREE shipping and all for $1.21 per bottle!

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14152&osCsid=d0c7f793f98b99afc0bb4b8c93a174ae

Steve

Steve - I know this is an older thread, but I'm curious about the "$1.21 per bottle" claim. I just got my first shipment of Spot Out, and it comes out to $2.35 per bottle. Why the dramatic increase? Also, I think the Jon-Don website still claims "$1.21 per bottle".