dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I will be getting into air duct cleaning this fall, building a website and it should hit the top of google around september or november.
RAM AIR seems like a low price start up. Is it too good to be true?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
David , the type of homes you will be doing work in ( slabs) in Florida it will be fine.
I'm pretty sure most of your vents are half way up the walls and furnace/ AC is in a closet with one big cold air grate?
The big thing is to get access and clean the main supply, which will be quite closed in the ceiling?
Up here in my Manitoba .... the Ram system would not do the job. I tried the Cleanco IAQ system that hooked up to my TM when I first diversified into this service. Our ductwork up here is quite different. I went with a custom made negative air unit ( 10 K CFM) 175 PSI gas compresser all mounted in boxtruck. I run 10 inch duct hose. My equipment would be next to impossible to use in Florida. It would be hard for me to hook up vac to main ducting.
David.... be prepared to do a hit and miss job. Not trying to be an ass.... I know furnace and duct cleaning.
Glad to hear you are diversifying into this service.
Best move I made back in 2000.
It is now roughly 50% of my gross sales

astrikingimage

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
We bought a unit and are testing it out. Hope to be up and running with paying customers next month.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
It's one of those deals where you know you paying out the nose for some basic tools but it's just not worth F'ing with and trying to make your own...well actually I did, I hope the RAM works better than what I ended up with :confused:...

Diamondcarpet

Aug 8, 2012
Real Name
Jerry
I was always told of doing things right the first time..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TMF Forums mobile app

brentnorman

Sep 6, 2013
Pine River, MN
www.optimumcleaning.net
Real Name
Brent Norman
I use it. I know it's not the greatest for totally cleaning out the main trunk line and plenum. But it gets the loose dust out pretty well. I tell my customers that it is good for maintenance and getting the dust out of their vent runs.
It's easy and fast to use.
Get a good 200 psi compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Its kinda lame if you ask me, not doing a very good job.
I definitely would never use one.

BUT if you cleaned the first time with negative air machine and then used that as a maintenance type like brent said.
I could go for that, be like encapping.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Its kinda lame if you ask me, not doing a very good job.
I definitely would never use one.

BUT if you cleaned the first time with negative air machine and then used that as a maintenance type like brent said.
I could go for that, be like encapping.
what is negative air?

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
what is negative air?
Negative air hooks a to the main trunk lines and sucks through a hose in to the machine. You block of your registers to make the whole air system in to a vacuum. You either use a brush or a air whip to clean each brush line and push the Dirt toward the machine. Look on line at aircare or nikro systems.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: emeraldclean

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
Also I believe you are in Florida. In Florida you use to need to be a licensed heating and air condition firm. That was back in the90s could have changed but I would look into that.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I saw the Ram Air demo in Dallas and it looks like it would do a decent job for the price. One thing about the Ram Air system is that you have the HVAC system on while you are doing the cleaning creating a push as you are using the vacuum and compressed air to create a pull.

Reactions: brentnorman

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
I saw the Ram Air demo in Dallas and it looks like it would do a decent job for the price. One thing about the Ram Air system is that you have the HVAC system on while you are doing the cleaning creating a push as you are using the vacuum and compressed air to create a pull.
I would be concerned of blowing dust throughout the house.

brentnorman

Sep 6, 2013
Pine River, MN
www.optimumcleaning.net
Real Name
Brent Norman
I would be concerned of blowing dust throughout the house.

That's a real concern. And as Jason said close off vents and returns.
They showed in the training to run furnace even when cleaning returns...don't. Shut it off and try to draw it all back to your vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States

Dedicated

Feb 9, 2012
PA
www.1dedicated4u.com
Real Name
Shawn McCaulley
Business Location
United States
I considered the RAM air sytem years ago but after doing some research I wasnt convinced it would be able to do the job affectivley. I just added air duct cleaning this spring. I have a Nikro EC5000, 185psi gas air compressor and the scorpion rod system. I've only done a few so far with a couple on the schedule over the next couple weeks. I'm glad I didnt go with the RAM AIR system, I guess as mentioned above if used as a quick clean up of vent lines between full cleanings it would be O.K.. This is just my opinion that I have formulated from listening to people who already do it and reading differant things.

Reactions: emeraldclean

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
I considered the RAM air sytem years ago but after doing some research I wasnt convinced it would be able to do the job affectivley. I just added air duct cleaning this spring. I have a Nikro EC5000, 185psi gas air compressor and the scorpion rod system. I've only done a few so far with a couple on the schedule over the next couple weeks. I'm glad I didnt go with the RAM AIR system, I guess as mentioned above if used as a quick clean up of vent lines between full cleanings it would be O.K.. This is just my opinion that I have formulated from listening to people who already do it and reading differant things.
Keep us informed how you machine is doing in the field. I'm considering this machine.

billramair

May 12, 2014
Real Name
bill McCadden
I will be getting into air duct cleaning this fall, building a website and it should hit the top of google around september or november.
RAM AIR seems like a low price start up. Is it too good to be true?

billramair

May 12, 2014
Real Name
bill McCadden
Hey guys, I’d like to start by expressing my appreciation to Truck Mount Forums for providing a venue for professionals in this great industry to ask questions, learn, express opinions and share experiences.

I just came across this thread, and would like to take the opportunity to “clear the air” in regards to the duct cleaning process.

The National Air Duct Cleaner’s Association (NADCA) requires it’s members to include two necessary functions in the duct cleaning process:

1.) Agitation supplied by either a brush, whip or air blasting ball.

2.) Negative air movement or vacuum to remove dust & debris.

There are many duct cleaning systems available, each claiming to be “the best” and some claiming to be “the only way” to effectively clean duct systems.
While the latter is never true, “the best way” should be worded: “the best way for you and your company.”
Now, rather than coming on here and knocking other systems or methods, instead I would like to take a moment to briefly explain how RamAir is an extremely effective system for cleaning the entire duct system; and, as veteran members of the NADCA, RamAir meets/exceeds the strict quality standards thereof.

1.) RamAir chooses the blasting ball and duct whip for agitation, due to their compatibility with modern flex ducting. The whip is excellent at dislodging debris that’s stuck to the sides of the duct walls, while the ball provides a strong blast of air that strips dust from the sides of the ducting, and directs it toward the duct opening where, augmented by the CFM of the air handler (furnace), it is grabbed by the vacuum system and removed from the duct.
As the debris exits the duct, it passes through a clear box illuminated with bright LEDs, which clearly shows the homeowner what’s being removed- virtually guaranteeing customer satisfaction and job referrals.

2.) Since the RamAir system works with the CFM generated by the furnace fan, rather than hooking up “negative air,” a direct vacuum system is used. This vacuum can be in the form of your

truck mounted carpet cleaning machine, portable machine, or RamAir’s cyclonic portable vacuum unit. After the duct has been agitated and the light dust/debris removed in the first step, the vacuum hose is inserted directly into the duct through each register opening in order to remove large debris, such as chunks of sheetrock, wood, construction debris (spray paint cans, screwdrivers, sanding blocks, etc.) and other larger materials from the ducts.

The return duct and air handler are also addressed in a similar way.

Our philosophy is that it shouldn’t cost a fortune to get into the duct cleaning business, the process should be simple and easy to learn, and the job done right.

If anybody has any questions or would like to discuss more in depth, I will check this thread often- and please don’t hesitate to check out our website and/or call and speak with our sales manager Bill McCadden or myself.

Thank you,

David Hart- Founder/CEO, RamAir International, Inc.
www.ramair.co