Peak liquid cooled question. 2nd fan | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Peak liquid cooled question. 2nd fan

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
2nd peak liquid cooled engine that's blown a head gasket...3000 hrs 1st engine / 1700 hrs 2nd engine.

I thought the owner did a very good job maintaining his equipment. So what is it with these engines? I also wondered why PROCHEM doesn't put a engine temp gauge on these machines since there liquid cooled?

Trying to prevent a 3rd blown head gasket once I get it back from being repaired. Has anyone ever added a second fan to help cool the engine? If so... How and where would you add it?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Something isnt right, way to many people having issues, someone needs to test the back pressure on these units. I wonder if the heat exchange system isn't causing to much back pressure onnthe motors and blowing shit out

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
I would really like to have a water temp gauge to prevent this, but I would not know how or where to hook it up

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
Not machanically inclined. Wish I was

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Installing a temp guage would be really easy brother, splice into the radiator hose with a tee and install the temp probe, mount the guage on the side of the unit

Reactions: rryn122

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Cant believe they dont come with one. I wanna go on record saying any manufacturer that puts out a machine without a temp guage and a oil pressure guage should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Something isnt right, way to many people having issues, someone needs to test the back pressure on these units. I wonder if the heat exchange system isn't causing to much back pressure onnthe motors and blowing shit out
I noticed a slight difference in our motor when I installed the Venturi to let the blower pull in the exhaust gases vs forcing it into the system. It was an slight audible difference, noticed by ear alone.

Wrapping the exhaust in ceramic wool and then fiberglass exhaust wrap that changes colors under extreme heat allowed me to see where improvements needed to be made in the header.

In high performance engines it's well known that wrapped headers scavenge exhaust better at lower ambient compartment temps, the color changing wrap helped me in our latest upgrade. Headers won't last as long wrapped (in intermittent wet environments), but I don't care if they don't never getting wet. Increased scavenging, less back pressure and more air through the motor as it was meant to be run while getting the most burn and not having an incomplete exhaust every cycle is worth the effort.

Reactions: SRD

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
Thank you. Been saying that for a long time. There's NOT a water temp or oil temp on a 20 thousand dollar machine.

Last edited:

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
I'm Speaking about oil , and water temp. No difference than a car. If they add a radiator, water pump... Why not put a temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge?

Both engines blew a head gasket and didn't automatically shut down, and never low on antifreeze... Never showed low in the resivor

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You can add a high temperature shutdown kill circuit to the coolant side on your next motor. You don't have to rely on someone else to safeguard you, that's best left in your hands. I'll help you with it if you want, it's just a few wires and a few parts.

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
You can add a high temperature shutdown kill circuit to the coolant side on your next motor. You don't have to rely on someone else to safeguard you, that's best left in your hands. I'll help you with it if you want, it's just a few wires and a few parts.
Thanks. I would love to know how you do that?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Your machine is setup from the factory with a temperature sender on the engine tied into the shutdown relay already per the wiring diagram (page 96). Either the sender or the relay or both are bad. $50 for both to replace.

If you want to add a secondary failsafe with a Murphy switchgage we can add it to the existing NEW relay pretty easy and you will have visual temperature info and have the ability to change the setpoint. Let me know what you want to do.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Jim, think we could do this for my Apex 570? I can pay you an over the phone consulting fee to walk me through it ;) It's the new Apex 570 on LegendBrands website

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Jim, think we could do this for my Apex 570? I can pay you an over the phone consulting fee to walk me through it ;) It's the new Apex 570 on LegendBrands website

Yes we can, PM your email and we will sort it out.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
If it is the model I think it is. It's got the Angus engine with the helicoil HX on the R/S. if so the issue is that the coolant HX is overheating the engine coolant. The solution temp is transfering heat to the engine coolant and the engine can't cool it off, too small of a cooling system. That's IMO is the reason for later models eliminating the helicoil HX. Couple things to try to help, 1 make sure that your antifreeze mixture is a 70/30 not a 50/50. 2 turn the solution temperature control knob open a 1/4 Turn to allow for water flow.

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
If it is the model I think it is. It's got the Angus engine with the helicoil HX on the R/S. if so the issue is that the coolant HX is overheating the engine coolant. The solution temp is transfering heat to the engine coolant and the engine can't cool it off, too small of a cooling system. That's IMO is the reason for later models eliminating the helicoil HX. Couple things to try to help, 1 make sure that your antifreeze mixture is a 70/30 not a 50/50. 2 turn the solution temperature control knob open a 1/4 Turn to allow for water flow.
Just curious? Why 70/30 mix vs 50/50? I originally thought the same thing, and we later found out that the machanic added 50/50 mix before it blew