Portable from truck | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Portable from truck

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
For all you guys running your portable from your van, post some pics of your set up. I'm going to be doing this while i save for a TM, already have a mytee LTD5, a mytee air hog vac booster, a generator to run the LTD5, battery sprayer and hydroforce in line sprayer, a water otter for when i do tile and grout along with a spinner, plenty of vac and solution hose and a hot turbo heater ( hardly use this though).
Also have a 175 with solution tank and carpet brush, 15 inch CRB and an orbot Vibe to name a few

WWW.FiveStar-Clean.Com

Sep 12, 2013
Real Name
Michael Olson
I all most bought one of these when I was looking at getting a TM but I thought s TM would be a better investment so I went that route and got a SS370.... this is still kind of a cool option

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
For all you guys running your portable from your van, post some pics of your set up. I'm going to be doing this while i save for a TM, already have a mytee LTD5, a mytee air hog vac booster, a generator to run the LTD5, battery sprayer and hydroforce in line sprayer, a water otter for when i do tile and grout along with a spinner, plenty of vac and solution hose and a hot turbo heater ( hardly use this though).
Also have a 175 with solution tank and carpet brush, 15 inch CRB and an orbot Vibe to name a few
Just a thought, but I'd rather go ahead and go into debt if necessary to buy a TM that's within my budget than to keep going piece meal spending hundreds here and thousands there. I did the portable from my van thing for at least 8 years. When I first started I was bring a small Castex inside the home. Later got a more powerful machine that could easily handle 150 ft. and use a Little Giant to heat the water. The consistent heat from the Little Giant is the only part about it I miss. I guess it boils down to preference and what you think you need, but I'd never go back to that myself. I don't like debt anymore than the next person, but I'd do it again if I had to.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
This is the route I'm going towards. Next spring I should be ETM 90% of the time. I will still have a slide in and a CDS, but I am looking forward to 30 mpg and almost zero equipment maintenance without sacrificing performance.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
I all most bought one of these when I was looking at getting a TM but I thought s TM would be a better investment so I went that route and got a SS370.... this is still kind of a cool option
except for the extremely flammable fuel can sitting inside the van. Fuel vapors are ultra combustible and sitting next to a machine making lots of heat.... Bad combo

I highly recommend removing any fuel source from inside the vehicle.

Reactions: Cody G

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Just a thought, but I'd rather go ahead and go into debt if necessary to buy a TM that's within my budget than to keep going piece meal spending hundreds here and thousands there. I did the portable from my van thing for at least 8 years. When I first started I was bring a small Castex inside the home. Later got a more powerful machine that could easily handle 150 ft. and use a Little Giant to heat the water. The consistent heat from the Little Giant is the only part about it I miss. I guess it boils down to preference and what you think you need, but I'd never go back to that myself. I don't like debt anymore than the next person, but I'd do it again if I had to.
I agree with this, if you can get the loan, I would just get the truckmount now instead of piecing everything together over time... I am in the process of replacing a butler with mucho hours on it,,, plus I am adding a new truck that will be another truckmount. So this week I am going to look at some prochem truckmounts and new vans...

Sound advice Randy

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
This is the route I'm going towards. Next spring I should be ETM 90% of the time. I will still have a slide in and a CDS, but I am looking forward to 30 mpg and almost zero equipment maintenance without sacrificing performance.
I suppose with just the right setup it might not be too bad. In my mind, I'm thinking back to that old Castex DVA I used for several years with a Paloma heater followed by the Little Giant 120,000 btu. Although the setup worked pretty well I never even attempted to get a generator for it for those times when electric was either unavailable or too hard to reach. Running those 2 cords on every job was not fun sometimes. I blew a few fuses and threw a circuit breaker ever now and again. Yeah, those were the good ole days! Sometimes I do wish I had a good electric setup both as a backup unit and for jobs where a gas TM really isn't needed. There's been a lot of changes in electric units since the 90's. Honestly I could do quite a lot of my jobs with a good electric TM, but I doubt I'll ever go that route.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I suppose with just the right setup it might not be too bad. In my mind, I'm thinking back to that old Castex DVA I used for several years with a Paloma heater followed by the Little Giant 120,000 btu. Although the setup worked pretty well I never even attempted to get a generator for it for those times when electric was either unavailable or too hard to reach. Running those 2 cords on every job was not fun sometimes. I blew a few fuses and threw a circuit breaker ever now and again. Yeah, those were the good ole days! Sometimes I do wish I had a good electric setup both as a backup unit and for jobs where a gas TM really isn't needed. There's been a lot of changes in electric units since the 90's. Honestly I could do quite a lot of my jobs with a good electric TM, but I doubt I'll ever go that route.
25 years of wrenching a pair of TM's has me pretty tired... Electric capability has come a long way and I have made a couple advancements recently that I see no reason to continue to feed gas TM's and the associated never ending wear. Most times I find technique trump's power anyway... but I'm getting old. My next system won't have 1 part over $325, except for the generator if 35 amps aren't available. I know that I will still have the same results as before with a 4.7 blower and 190° ATM. Speed... well that all depends on the guy. I'm pretty efficient these days, when you are planning 3 steps ahead because you don't need to think about the task at hand it makes it easy to do so.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Hi, why not use the hot turbo heater very much? You don't have heat with the LTD5, right? Im new to the industry and trying to make a decision on the hot turbo. Thanks, Pat

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Im thinking Jaguar 8.4 for myself, is this the kind of machine genre you are talking about regarding your ETM interests? I am entering the fun in the business, and have not yet bought a machine. Still planning. Pat

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Be sure to plan on beefing up your APO.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Im thinking Jaguar 8.4 for myself, is this the kind of machine genre you are talking about regarding your ETM interests? I am entering the fun in the business, and have not yet bought a machine. Still planning. Pat
I'm custom building mine from the ground up. Designing each part of the system to be efficient and to utilize everything available in the end. On paper it won't look impressive, off paper it's just going to work.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Hi, why not use the hot turbo heater very much? You don't have heat with the LTD5, right? Im new to the industry and trying to make a decision on the hot turbo. Thanks, Pat
Well i fill my solution tank with hot tap water, so i do have some heat, but i almost always use some form of mechanical agitation using either my CBR, 175 or orbot Vibe

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Takes some good planning on paper.

What model of van?

What brand/model generator?

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Takes some good planning on paper.

What model of van?
2006 Dodge grand caravan
What brand/model generator?
Briggs & stratton storm responder 8500 starting watts 6250 running

I contacted mytee and they said 4500 running watts would run the LTD5
so I of course went a little higher and have run the machine off it and it works fine, the generator has a digital display that tells you what percent of power its using its been awhile but i think it was somewhere between 60 and 70%
so i good there.
I don't schedule more then 1 job a day as I have a night job as well, so i wouldn't be beating up the generator to much

Reactions: Sean M Collins

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Briggs & stratton storm responder 8500 starting watts 6250 running

I contacted mytee and they said 4500 running watts would run the LTD5
so I of course went a little higher and have run the machine off it and it works fine, the generator has a digital display that tells you what percent of power its using its been awhile but i think it was somewhere between 60 and 70%
so i good there.
I don't schedule more then 1 job a day as I have a night job as well, so i wouldn't be beating up the generator to much

Should be fine.

First thing to consider when doing your layout, is whether any component HAS to be in a specific place in a particular vehicle, and start there.

On that generator................

ccxxdd.JPG
hhh.JPG

...The exhaust is located on the opposite side of the outlets/controls,

That hot exhaust HAS to be blowing out one of the open doors on a passenger van like that chock full off carpet and plastic trim.

So where you gonna put it??

Have you considered working towards a vehicle more suited for the application, that would serve as a better foundation to optimize your ETM build first, instead of working towards a TM??

Something about an ETM in a caravan does not sit right with me, and it is not meant as an insult, because it is not about the vehicle itself, but about the limitations such a vehicle puts on the already daunting task of configuring and executing an ETM build.

The right ETM in the right vehicle would allow you more time to save for an TM, and to do it more comfortably.

If you find out too late that it is just not feasible in a Caravan, it may be a major set-back in your grand plan.

Just something to chew on.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet