Portable from truck

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Should be fine.

First thing to consider when doing your layout, is whether any component HAS to be in a specific place in a particular vehicle, and start there.

On that generator................

View attachment 74397 View attachment 74398

...The exhaust is located on the opposite side of the outlets/controls,

That hot exhaust HAS to be blowing out one of the open doors on a passenger van like that chock full off carpet and plastic trim.

So where you gonna put it??

Have you considered working towards a vehicle more suited for the application, that would serve as a better foundation to optimize your ETM build first, instead of working towards a TM??

Something about an ETM in a caravan does not sit right with me, and it is not meant as an insult, because it is not about the vehicle itself, but about the limitations such a vehicle puts on the already daunting task of configuring and executing an ETM build.

The right ETM in the right vehicle would allow you more time to save for an TM, and to do it more comfortably.

If you find out too late that it is just not feasible in a Caravan, it may be a major set-back in your grand plan.

Just something to chew on.
That is the generator that I have, as far as its placement in the van i have three choices as the van has three doors, one left side door. one right side door and of course the rear door.

If I put the generator at one of the side doors theres plenty of room to put the LTD5 at the other side door. The LTD5 stands up fine in the van, thats how i always have it anyway, I never lay it down.

So if gen and extractor both at side doors theres plenty of room left behind them for everything else, i'll be able to put my vacuum, either my CRB, 175, or orbot Vibe but not all at the same time, my air hog vac booster, my hose's, wand, chems and small misc other items.

But if i have to do both carpets and tile on same job as i sometimes do then i'll need additional equipment like my water otter, spinner tool, water hoses and such, then its gets to be to tight, very tight.

Now my ultimate goal is a Judson TNT TM, I know the caravan must go.
My plan is to get another van 1st, a ford, chevy, doesn't matter to me which one as long as its in good shape.
I am actively looking now and would get the van tomorrow if the right one comes along.

So using the caravan for my etm set up is temporary

Once i have the new van i'll operate my etm from that till i save enough for the TM at which time i'll already have the van.

I do plan on getting a little giant heater soon after getting the new van so i'll already have that to when i get the TM

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I wudnt be afraid of a truckmount....
Call Judson out there in North Carolina....

He has been in this business longer than any and claims
His dad had the first truckmount in 1970?????
To clean an NFL field!!!!!

Knows his stuff...and reasonable!!!!,

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
The LTD5 stands up fine in the van, thats how i always have it anyway, I never lay it down.
But how much room is there above the machine??

Would you be able to pull the lid off the top, and position yourself above the machine if you had to look into the waste tank to manage a clogged apo filter submerged under 18 inches of funk water?

Clogged apo filter is the nightmare you want to try to avoid.

At the least, make a hose that you can connect to your dump valve that is long enough to run out the door and into a bucket as a back-up option.

Without a plan B for dumping, you'll be dead in the water if any apo gremlins decide to crash your gig.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

Would you be able to pull the lid off the top, and position yourself above the machine if you had to look into the waste tank to manage a clogged apo filter submerged under 18 inches of funk water?

At the least, make a hose that you can connect to your dump valve that is long enough to run out the door and into a bucket as a back-up option.

Without a plan B for dumping, you'll be dead in the water if any apo gremlins decide to crash your gig.
I can go 2 busy days without even cleaning my filter on the TM's or portables having this inside the recovery tank, with zero loss of cfm's or lift.... none. I'm done with power robbing inline filters forever!
20171028_141031.jpg

Reactions: PATRICK YANELLO

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin

I would be able to take lid off waste tank and look in there but would be unable to do anything about it if it was clogged, however, the machine would be right at the edge of one of the side doors and easy enough to pull out.

I don't however plan on using the apo on the LTD5 i will have the air hog at the front door and use it's apo so should a clogged arise it would be easy to address

the apo of the LTD5 would be a back up to the air hog

Now this is a very good idea and i will deffinately try to rig something up for that, thanks for that idea

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I can go 2 busy days without even cleaning my filter on the TM's or portables having this inside the recovery tank, with zero loss of cfm's or lift.... none. I'm done with power robbing inline filters forever!
View attachment 74456
do you have any more pictures of how that thing mounts in your waste tank?

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
25 years of wrenching a pair of TM's has me pretty tired... Electric capability has come a long way and I have made a couple advancements recently that I see no reason to continue to feed gas TM's and the associated never ending wear. Most times I find technique trump's power anyway... but I'm getting old. My next system won't have 1 part over $325, except for the generator if 35 amps aren't available. I know that I will still have the same results as before with a 4.7 blower and 190° ATM. Speed... well that all depends on the guy. I'm pretty efficient these days, when you are planning 3 steps ahead because you don't need to think about the task at hand it makes it easy to do so.
That last sentence is spot on, priceless.(y)

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
25 years of wrenching a pair of TM's has me pretty tired... Electric capability has come a long way and I have made a couple advancements recently that I see no reason to continue to feed gas TM's and the associated never ending wear. Most times I find technique trump's power anyway... but I'm getting old. My next system won't have 1 part over $325, except for the generator if 35 amps aren't available. I know that I will still have the same results as before with a 4.7 blower and 190° ATM. Speed... well that all depends on the guy. I'm pretty efficient these days, when you are planning 3 steps ahead because you don't need to think about the task at hand it makes it easy to do so.
What ETM are you looking into. I have been eyeing the Jag 8.4. Anything I may have looked past on this machine before I pull the trigger?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
When you change the panty hose yes, you just lift the entire thing out. You can use 2 panty hose to keep everything in there for multi day use.

The hose goes on to a hose barb where the vac hose enters the tank.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Yes I will be. I will probably start finally making ground on it after the Christmas rush.
can't wait to hear your thoughts on the new LX vacuum motors with your build. no real input from users yet.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I definitely want a couple of those dust deputies. I need one on my shop vac for sure. And i want to try one in my portable.

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
... And i want to try one in my portable.
I'm thinking it is going to be tough to deploy on most cookie-cutter mass produced units with shallow waste tanks.

What happens when the water rises above the nylon on the bottom??

You might have to be running a live APO all the time.