Problem Rug. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Problem Rug.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
So I have a customer, she is a home decorator. She had this custom Wool area rug made for her client. She says it’s “hand looped in Nepal” surprisingly this is a common thing I hear but it’s not true, especially in this case because this rug is machine made.

The problem is this rug is shedding fibers like mad. She had me come in to clean it even though I told her it wouldn’t totally fix her problem.

I vacuumed it and just rinsed with a touch of
fab-set it and it did look great when I was done but I know it will still shed.

I’ve never seen a rug shed this bad.
It looks like a bound broadloom cut pile.

It was a multi thousand dollar rug, I did not want to offend her by asking price but it was expensive. My opinion is there is a problem here the manufacturer doesn’t want to own.

Any input?

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
Looks like a tufted wool rug by the shedding characteristic. A tufted wool rug will always shed, especially after a aggressive cleaning.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’m guessing if you examine the back (pics please) it’s Tufted. Laytex glue on the backing can often be filled with fillers and very low amounts of laytex. Low quality laytex and even crumble causing a powder.
Tufted rugs often come with a long story behind them. Some are actually very high quality and often beautiful. But more times then not the laytex is terrible.
It’s not uncommon for tufted rugs to do this. Delicate Care is needed.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
That looks like the same stuff I get from any staple fiber rug, or carpet I use a CRB on.
I know this is the rug area , but the same thing occurs with the poly installed carpets that are staple yarns.
A lot of pics posted of all the crud , may not necessarily be the pet hair everybody claims. ??

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Have a customer who has tons of possibly expensive investment rugs. (as I am not qualify) these are the kind of people who would have them .. Les Wexner's neighborhood.
It is the housekeeper who calls and arranges for me to come in.
Wanted me to clean all the runners in halls, kithchens. Will not send out. Claims she has had them cleaned in place in the past.
I used my Stepson and padded them. Encapuclean O2
Everybody was happy.
Got lots of fuzz.

Also had several large sisal rugs on wood floors under furniture that they wanted cleaned in place. Those I turned down. A lot of their stuff I did using OP and pads, but I did not want to rislk the vibration damaging the floors under the rough rugs.