Quoting services according to budget

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I'm relatively new to the business side of things but in the past when an commercial client would call for a quote let's say a church, I'd go in measure up give them the figures and leave the slip and numbers to do the selling. Recently I noticed a church that I had quoted had another company in that was from a really long ways away. It got me thinking they must have really came in alot lower if they justified driving all that way. As a local tech I would have loved to be their go to but I understand if they just couldn't afford my rates. My question is do any of you start the relationship by asking what they have budgeted to spend and then just clean accordingly? So maybe they just get a good encap treatment, I could justify not having to charge as much if it meant that they weren't drawing on some company 60 miles away. I'd invite your opinions.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
It's a bad place to start an estimate from.
Their budget or expectations on cost shouldn't affect your price.
Here's why;
1) There will always be someone cheaper.
2) They may have a fantasy idea of what it would cost.
3) If they do give you a number, I guarantee it's too low.

You have to really know what your cost is and stick to it.

Now if you're starting out and need the work you can go below what you usually charge.

A great concept is to offer Good, Better & Best price options.

This can be discussed when you present the numbers.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It's a bad place to start an estimate from.
Their budget or expectations on cost shouldn't affect your price.
Here's why;
1) There will always be someone cheaper.
2) They may have a fantasy idea of what it would cost.
3) If they do give you a number, I guarantee it's too low.

You have to really know what your cost is and stick to it.

Now if you're starting out and need the work you can go below what you usually charge.

A great concept is to offer Good, Better & Best price options.

This can be discussed when you present the numbers.
My question is do any of you start the relationship by asking what they have budgeted to spend and then just clean accordingly?
Pete is right on above.

One thing you might do is figure out your price first and then ask what their budget is before naming your price. You never know, you may be thinking $1000 and they say they have a budget of $1500. In this case you can tell them your price is $1000 and then see if you can do some upholstery or tile cleaning for them to increase your ticket. (Or re-evaluate if your prices may be too low and up your price.)

After hearing their budget you will know what to do. If you are thinking $1000 and they say $500 you could tell them that your price is $1000 but you are willing to meet them in the middle at $750.

If you tell them $1000 and they say $150 then you know they are most likely not a customer for you.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
The above comments are spot on . TBH , building a relationship with a customer is pretty important in order for you to be their “ go to “ .
Churches are a little different and depend on the donations in order to survive . I’m deep into the second year of a contract with a church for janitorial / office cleaning . In the past they got “ rolled over “ pretty good by other cleaners and building some trust at first wasn’t exactly easy . To be sure , there’s always somebody who will do it cheaper . You know that and so do they . Stop once in awhile and see if you can clean something for them ( a couple entrance mats or a small office ) because you have a “ new product you want to try “ .
Will that company 60 miles away do that ??
All the Best , Ed

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Quote first service as an overhaul cleaning with TM to flush everything out and start from a clean slate..

then reoccurring service encap for commercial carpet which is cheaper.

even the cheaper commercial clients will understand the value in this..

but you have to sell them on keeping it clean, not a cycle where its trashed and then super clean for a bit then waiting until its trashed again to clean it.

really push the idea of keeping up the appearance year round

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Quote first service as an overhaul cleaning with TM to flush everything out and start from a clean slate..

then reoccurring service encap for commercial carpet which is cheaper.

even the cheaper commercial clients will understand the value in this..

but you have to sell them on keeping it clean, not a cycle where its trashed and then super clean for a bit then waiting until its trashed again to clean it.

really push the idea of keeping up the appearance year round
I just used that for a car dealership that is in a new building. Gave them a number for me to keep the new carpet looking nice. Waiting to hear back from them.