Relocating from California to Texas. Any advice on how to proceed this?

cyphersbg

Mr. Cyphers
Jul 19, 2013
California
www.oceanwestsd.com
Real Name
Branston Cyphers
Business Location
United States
I'm originally from Austin, Tx and I moved out here to San Diego 11 yrs ago for work. I wanted to stay here but this is not home for me and I also have one of, if not the largest family in Austin. My kid needs to be around family and my time here at the beach/desert is coming to an end. As everyone knows Southern California is crazy expensive, weather is great year-round, food sucks, gas prices are high and there is much to do here. I was able to maintain pretty well with the connections I made since opening my business 3 yrs ago. Texas has a booming economy so I am not worried about getting my business back up and running with proper planning and savings.

I would like input/opinions on what I should do with my carpet/window cleaning business here in San Diego? What should I do with my Yelp, social media and website? I am a O/O on my first year out of the negatives and I have a nice but small customer base here to pass on. I plan to sell my equipment as a packaged deal if I could because I want to get a newer TM in Texas. I plan on arriving in Austin June of next year to start a new chapter. "I'm coming home".
Thanks!

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I'm not sure how it works with reviews but if you plan on keeping your business name you keep the website and just plug in your new information in Austin.
As far as your customer base I would try to find a fellow San Diego TMF member (Tom being one) and try to work something out with them. I don't know how big of a client list you have or how much it would be worth, maybe if you trust another cleaner set it up so you get some sort of a % for any jobs from your list for a set time.
Selling your equipment can be good or bad depending on what you have and the condition of it, used equipment is hard to sell for what a lot of people expect to get out of it.
Congrats on deciding your family in the great state of Texas is worth relocating for. I am originally from Ohio and my family is still there, although I miss them from time to time I can't see myself moving back anytime soon.

the organic cleaner

Apr 16, 2014
California and Central Texas
Real Name
Glenn Stewart
I'm originally from Austin, Tx and I moved out here to San Diego 11 yrs ago for work. I wanted to stay here but this is not home for me and I also have one of, if not the largest family in Austin. My kid needs to be around family and my time here at the beach/desert is coming to an end. As everyone knows Southern California is crazy expensive, weather is great year-round, food sucks, gas prices are high and there is much to do here. I was able to maintain pretty well with the connections I made since opening my business 3 yrs ago. Texas has a booming economy so I am not worried about getting my business back up and running with proper planning and savings.

I would like input/opinions on what I should do with my carpet/window cleaning business here in San Diego? What should I do with my Yelp, social media and website? I am a O/O on my first year out of the negatives and I have a nice but small customer base here to pass on. I plan to sell my equipment as a packaged deal if I could because I want to get a newer TM in Texas. I plan on arriving in Austin June of next year to start a new chapter. "I'm coming home".
Thanks!
This is the craziest thing I have heard! No offense given. I just did exactly what you will be doing. We ( myself 2 boys and wife just arrived 2 days ago Dallas Fort Worth. You can pm me if you'd like, as I can tell you about the move, transport company, the whole nine yards. Only difference for me is we have zero here. I just love a challenge.

cyphersbg

Mr. Cyphers
Jul 19, 2013
California
www.oceanwestsd.com
Real Name
Branston Cyphers
Business Location
United States
I'm not sure how it works with reviews but if you plan on keeping your business name you keep the website and just plug in your new information in Austin.
As far as your customer base I would try to find a fellow San Diego TMF member (Tom being one) and try to work something out with them. I don't know how big of a client list you have or how much it would be worth, maybe if you trust another cleaner set it up so you get some sort of a % for any jobs from your list for a set time.
Selling your equipment can be good or bad depending on what you have and the condition of it, used equipment is hard to sell for what a lot of people expect to get out of it.
Congrats on deciding your family in the great state of Texas is worth relocating for. I am originally from Ohio and my family is still there, although I miss them from time to time I can't see myself moving back anytime soon.
My customer base is really no issue on what happens with them, but my equipment is something I can't see myself taking with me. For starters my van is too small and it is a 2006 with 71,000 miles on it. I bought my TM used and I am not sure how long it will last, so transporting it to Texas is my main concern. @tom patnode works with me from time and we are both in the same area but I am not sure how much longer he plans on being here too.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

the organic cleaner

Apr 16, 2014
California and Central Texas
Real Name
Glenn Stewart
My customer base is really no issue on what happens with them, but my equipment is something I can't see myself taking with me. For starters my van is too small and it is a 2006 with 71,000 miles on it. I bought my TM used and I am not sure how long it will last, so transporting it to Texas is my main concern. @tom patnode works with me from time and we are both in the same area but I am not sure how much longer he plans on being here too.
I transported my van with the TM, 2 portables, spinner a ton of tools the whole package, my wife's car and my SUV all for $2,400.00. I had quotes to just transport the van for $1,200. SoCal Los Angeles to Austin Tx.

Reactions: cyphersbg

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I'm moving from Florida to California December 1st. Business start up will be in December. Business license, business cards, and website for flood work. I plan on working in Palm Desert at a golf course from January- April. My Start date will be May 1st. in San Diego. My new business start up will consist of going out seven days per week meeting people for carpet cleaning work ,handing out spotter bottles and magnets .Facebook, craigslist, meeting realtors and property managers. Also networking with plumbers for flood work. I have no need for another TM because I'm bringing all of my equipment with me. Website stays the same just changing location info and telephone number. I cannot not compete with the big boys with SEO.These are some ideas I have for my new start up. Good luck with your the new start up.

cyphersbg

Mr. Cyphers
Jul 19, 2013
California
www.oceanwestsd.com
Real Name
Branston Cyphers
Business Location
United States
@johnp94, that's awesome man I can definitely give you some pointers and share ideas on this county. San Diego is awesome and I love it here but my grandparents, parents, nieces and nephews are all getting older and I am missing out on too many family events. I operate 15 miles east of San Diego where the competition is not so dense and the weather is warm most the year so dry times are not long and the consumer spending power is more confident than closer to the city where the houses are smaller.

Reactions: Mark S. Jones

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Someone that I work with in New York got me in Stone Eagle to work. But I was told that it isn't a busy course so I'm trying to get hired at Vintage. The Caddie Manager took the contact info for my employer in N.Y. So I think I will get hired if he's hiring.

Susan Small

May 30, 2017
Real Name
Susan Small
I hope you have already started up our carpet cleaning business. Last month I and my family also moved to Texas from California. It is a lovely place. Or furniture is being moved by hiring a moving van and our vehicles are also being transported to Texas by referring to this website (link removed by moderator) and the car shipping California team had moved our vehicles safely to our new home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pamgilliard

Jan 15, 2019
Real Name
Pam Gilliard
Shifting and relocation is the trend nowadays, it has become a part of life. Shifting from one place to another is not a simple task, relocating automobiles is a tough task. For such task hiring professional is a great option.My father always hires car transport Derby offered by Connecticut Auto Transporter as his auto transporter and always gets excellent results by getting smooth and safe delivery of the car. Hope this suggestion helps you.

Last edited by a moderator: