Rotary marketing.

Mark Napier

Sep 29, 2014
Chattanooga TN
Real Name
Mark Napier
Business Location
United States
Was curious to see how many people only clean residential with rotary's and market that way. I've seen a few company's on YouTube and in Atlanta that operate that way. What's your experience? Do you feel it sets your company apart from others that are using wands. I'm currently using a wand and have no issues with it. I'm just starting out and weighing the decision to operate like this or not.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Was curious to see how many people only clean residential with rotary's and market that way. I've seen a few company's on YouTube and in Atlanta that operate that way. What's your experience? Do you feel it sets your company apart from others that are using wands. I'm currently using a wand and have no issues with it. I'm just starting out and weighing the decision to operate like this or not.
Marketing is tricky. Rotaries are something cleaners jizz over. Prospects have a hard time grasping the technical advances of the trade.
It's more of a wow factor once they see the results.
I make sure I bring them into the room so they can see the effort , tools and expertise I'm employing.
As far as marketing it, IMO, it's a waste of ad space.
Much better to convey the message of quality without getting into the minutiae of how yer gonna do it.

rjwood

Mar 26, 2015
Real Name
Bob Wood
Wands very rarely and rotary 99.9% of the time. I market that way as well.

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
Do you also market the fact that you are voiding any warranty on their carpet???? :oops:

The new carpet warranties specifically outlaw rotary cleaning.

I was told that by my supplier. In March I had to re-certify my iicrc and that question came up (specifically about the RX360). The instructor, whom is also a carpet inspector said that was absolutely not true.

We probably all need to read the warranties for ourselves. At least I do.

rjwood

Mar 26, 2015
Real Name
Bob Wood
Do you also market the fact that you are voiding any warranty on their carpet???? :oops:

The new carpet warranties specifically outlaw rotary cleaning.
I didn't know that; would you mind pointing me to that?

rjwood

Mar 26, 2015
Real Name
Bob Wood
Rotary, in essence, is no different than using a wand, it's only more efficient.

rjwood

Mar 26, 2015
Real Name
Bob Wood
Why is rotary not recommended? rotary is essentially the same as wanding, only more efficient.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Warrant issues with rotaries is a common myth perpetuated here.
Just came from Stainmaster site and warranty regarding cleaning only mandated 'hot water extraction'.
The following is taken right from Shaw industry's warranty page...
(Shaw is the largest manufacturer of carpet in the country)

Clean Most Frequently Used Areas More Often
The most frequently used areas of your carpet — entrances, doorways, traffic lanes, seating areas, etc. will collect dirt much faster than other areas. By cleaning these areas when they first show signs of soiling you can prevent the dirt from spreading to the rest of the carpeted areas of the house.
Periodic professional cleaning of the overall carpet is highly recommended.The frequency of overall cleaning may vary depending on the level and type of traffic and the conditions to which your carpet is exposed.This may range from as little as 6 months to 24 months between cleanings.Your carpet should be properly cleaned at least once every 24 months to maintain its appearance and useful life.
Shaw recommends only hot water extraction (also called "steam cleaning"), utilizing carpet cleaning products, equipment, and systems certified through the Carpet and Rug Institute’s Seal of Approval Program.These products are listed at www. carpet-rug.org. Warning: Non-approved cleaning products and topical treatments, applied by you or by a professional carpet cleaner, may result in damage to your carpet that will not be covered by your warranty.
Shaw recommends that professional service be performed by an IICRC certified firm. Locate a professional cleaner through the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) at 1-800-835-4624 or www.iicrc.org. Cleaning by other professional services may result in damage that will not be covered by your warranty.
If you decide to rent a steam cleaning machine and do it yourself, remember recommended carpet cleaning equipment and cleaning products should have certification in the CRI Seal of Approval Programs (www.carpet-rug.org).

rjwood

Mar 26, 2015
Real Name
Bob Wood
Yeah, I've read warranty pages on manufacturer's websites but thought I might have missed something. Makes me wonder how many of my local competitors are circulating the myths.