Rotovac 360i + CFX | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Rotovac 360i + CFX

itek4bux

Dec 3, 2010
Real Name
Steve Carroll
Business Location
United States
I've been eyeballing the Rotovac 360i + CFX set up for my initial equipment.

Can anyone share their experiences with this equipment? Pro's vs Con's, etc?

It seems odd to me that they offer a tile & grout head for the 360i yet the CFX doesn't seem like it has enough psi to do that type of work. I thought you needed 1200psi for T&G, but I'm a newb so maybe I'm wrong. :)

Jun 18, 2008
Real Name
Glide Pro
Business Location
United States
You dont need 1200 psi to do tile and grout cleaning, but it helps. Others have used more agitation and chemical to get the job done. But having said that I still don't see doing it with a CFX either. I would want way more pressure than that.

CleanMan

Dec 10, 2010
MN
Real Name
Mike Sjerven
Business Location
United States
Don't do it. I have both and both are junk. I would be happy to send you a photo of my CFX collecting dust in a heap in the back of my shop. As for the 360 the only thing I use it for anymore is to put a nice circular pattern on polyester carpet AFTER I have already cleaned it with my Steamin Demon. Both of these products are way over priced and poor performers.

aefisher1

Feb 19, 2010
RI,MA
Real Name
Anton Fisher
Business Location
United States
Same here "JUNK" unless you have the 27 gallon tank the its worth it. Portables "SUCK"

aefisher1

Feb 19, 2010
RI,MA
Real Name
Anton Fisher
Business Location
United States
Def the 360i great little machine, but could use a few improvements. CFX is garbage, but great concept. If you could have at least 200 psi on that power pod without the 27 gallon tank then it would be almost perfect.

Bonehead

Dec 9, 2010
Real Name
George W
Business Location
United States
I was very close to buying the CFX/360 combo. I do a ton of highrises and this would have been a nice combo. I need a new portable very soon!

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
There's definitely a market for a very lightweight, very small portable with two powerful vac motors, auto-fill and auto-dump. Because you have AF & AD, the you could make the tanks small, say six gallons each. Also, no heat, and at least 300 PSI pump. This thing shouldn't weigh more than 60 pounds.

You'd have to accept those trade-offs ( foam could be more of a problem, you'd need automatic chemical feed if you wanted to add chemicals to your fresh water) for the lightweight and size. But, I think it would be a tremendous tool for situations where you just want something light, but you also want big vacuum power. Right now, you basically get stuck with one vac motor if you want something in this size, and that's just too weak for carpeting. So, you basically have an oversized upholstery setup, which isn't useful.

There's nothing satisfactory in this segment. You either get a full size unit to get suction, or get a smaller unit with very weak vacuum power, or get really low PSI (60, maybe 100), or get no water pump at all. A 1/4 HP motor pushing 300 PSI, with two LMB2As could fit into this segment. But, we get far worse machines instead, that simply can not clean carpet effectively.

Dec 10, 2010
Kentucky
Real Name
Wayne & Dave Vincent
Business Location
United States
You can use the 360 for carpet, tile/grout, and bonnet. It is a great machine for some, others hate it. I have one and don't use it much. It is one of those toys you work hard to get and keep around for special occasions because you don't want to sell it- more for marketing in my case. For meat and potato cleanings, high heat, 400-500psi, and a positive displacement vacuum is all you need- bells and whistles come as you earn clients and money.

The 360's do hold resale value on Ebay, so it isn't going to be worthless after you get it. I've seen the CFX at Connections in Las Vegas and think it would be a good back up or to have around, but there are less expensive models out there that would be better for a start up. I started with a used fiberglass portable, and bought a used truckmount the following year.

What I noticed was the truckmount had more suction, heat, and pressure which made the job go literally twice as fast. But I still have the first portable that got me started and it is a far cry from what is out there today (portable wise) so just keep in mind the three basics...Pressure, Heat, Suction, and you supply the agitation. Either by the sweat of your labor or a labor saving device.

Jun 18, 2008
Real Name
Glide Pro
Business Location
United States
There's definitely a market for a very lightweight, very small portable with two powerful vac motors, auto-fill and auto-dump. Because you have AF & AD, the you could make the tanks small, say six gallons each. Also, no heat, and at least 300 PSI pump. This thing shouldn't weigh more than 60 pounds.

You'd have to accept those trade-offs ( foam could be more of a problem, you'd need automatic chemical feed if you wanted to add chemicals to your fresh water) for the lightweight and size. But, I think it would be a tremendous tool for situations where you just want something light, but you also want big vacuum power. Right now, you basically get stuck with one vac motor if you want something in this size, and that's just too weak for carpeting. So, you basically have an oversized upholstery setup, which isn't useful.

There's nothing satisfactory in this segment. You either get a full size unit to get suction, or get a smaller unit with very weak vacuum power, or get really low PSI (60, maybe 100), or get no water pump at all. A 1/4 HP motor pushing 300 PSI, with two LMB2As could fit into this segment. But, we get far worse machines instead, that simply can not clean carpet effectively.
IMO the main reason no satisfactory product exists in this size is because it costs almost as much to rotomold a small shell as a larger one. Add to that that most of the customers equate small size with weak power as well. So the appeal is probably not as great for a machine like this as you think it is. I agree the need is there though. One will get made but probably no time in the near future.

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
IMO the main reason no satisfactory product exists in this size is because it costs almost as much to rotomold a small shell as a larger one. Add to that that most of the customers equate small size with weak power as well. So the appeal is probably not as great for a machine like this as you think it is. I agree the need is there though. One will get made but probably no time in the near future.
Maybe they equate small size with weak power because so far, small size does equal weak power.

Cost should be one of the last considerations when you're buying a machine you'll be using every day for many years. The cost benefit isn't the reason for the smaller machine, the ability to move it easily is. It's a lot easier to move a 60 pound unit than a 100 pound or 150 pound unit. And it would take up less space too. In fact, they do make these size machines, they just don't make them right. So, they do understand that a certain size is desirable, but somehow forget that having vacuum power is.

Bonehead

Dec 9, 2010
Real Name
George W
Business Location
United States
I need a machine to do high rise condos. This would be an awesome set up CFX/360i combo. I am thinking others will emerge with this design and perhaps improve upon it. (Hint: More PSI) So what portable would you use in my situation? I am currently using a recoil. I t cleans very well but is a bit cumbersome for a one man show doing high-rises.

leuj20

May 18, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
I love My 360, I use it for nasty aparments and always does a great job, all you need is auto/fill/dump and you are set, you could get an m-5 or a speedster but the speedsters don't have auto dump but is lighter but I'll go with the m-5.

Bonehead

Dec 9, 2010
Real Name
George W
Business Location
United States
I am looking at an Eclipse vice the CFX. I was surprized to see how many people recently hate the maching.

Nick P

Sep 30, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Nick Palumbo
Business Location
United States
Well guys you are the very few that don't like rotovac
equipment. I have the cfx and it an awesome pump out
machine for flood work. It works very well with the 360 also.
I have the new dhx and that works well also, if you get the
cfx with the 27 gal tank it 250psi. With experience you will
do fine with rotovac equipment IMO. I also have the mytee
breeze with 500psi auto fill auto dump.
Nick

grimel

Apr 18, 2010
TN
Real Name
George Rimel
Business Location
United States
I've been eyeballing the Rotovac 360i + CFX set up for my initial equipment.

Can anyone share their experiences with this equipment? Pro's vs Con's, etc?

It seems odd to me that they offer a tile & grout head for the 360i yet the CFX doesn't seem like it has enough psi to do that type of work. I thought you needed 1200psi for T&G, but I'm a newb so maybe I'm wrong. :)
It's called a water otter (or something similar). The combination of water otter and CFX gives you 1200 psi, auto fill, and auto dump in a package that weighs half of the T&G portables.

TracyWalker

Mar 28, 2006
Grover, NC
Real Name
Tracy Walker
Listen to Grimel, Those *****ing about the CFX because of lack of pressure sound silly. It is designed to have NO pressure lol. It is a strong vac and pump out system that you add your own pressure from a sink, or the 27 gallon attachment. Durrmaid is coming out with a system very similar and slicker in my opinion. You will have the 2(3 stage) vacs with pumpout similar to the CFX, but you will also have a different module for pressure that is similar to those tool box pumps some sell. You will simply place the pressure module on the counter and put a special designed collector cup under running water in the sink. You can get 350, 500, or 1200 psi I think? This combined with good prespray and a 360i should clean great.

ExtractionGee

Feb 12, 2010
NM
www.thealbuquerquecarpetcleaners.com
Real Name
marcos rivera
Business Location
United States
I just got my 360 and I think it is great.

1. Marketing - you tell your customers if they are paying for a cleaner with a standard wand then they are paying for 40 year old technology. (im not hating on the standard wand, i still use mine sometimes) but its a great way to set yourself apart and make your clients think that you are the best and they will never go anywhere else.
2. It leaves carpets much dryer!
3. Save your back. As a start up guy you dont know how much you can do in one week. If you have 3 jobs a day for a week straight, that can leave your body aching. The rotovac will save your body.
4. Youtube rotovac 360. Look at the wonders it does with very little effort.
5. It allows you to do tile and grout as well as carpet. You dont need 2 different machines.....all i one!

The 360 is great, pretty pricey though. I picked up a used one for around $1,000. Do some craigs list searching, or ask someone on the forum here. If you are start up, probly not a good idea to spend several thousand on a new one.

Also, when it comes to the portable you are going to buy, search on craigs list also. In my area there are ALWAYS portables for sale. Make sure you have VERY strong vac, and at least 200 PSI.

But remember, if you have all of these running at once, you are going to have to plug in 3 or 4 different chords into a customers house, and you WILL i repeat YOU WILL throw breakers. This was my MAIN reason for selling my porty and buying a used TM. It is difficult to ask customer where the fuse box is becase you threw a breaker. Maybe consider working a J.O.B. for 4 months, saving ALL of your mo ney, and buying a used TM. I bought my TM in a 2001 chey astro van for around 5k. MUCH better option than a porty.

WHen i first started i thought my porty had pretty good suction, especially with the vac booster on it. When i went to try out the TM that i bought, it blew my mind how powerful the suction is. It has 10 times the suction of a porty, and 10 times the heat too! I would seriously recommend saving some moeny and buying a TM, DO NOT FINANCE ONE! buy a used one for under 10k.

I have been in this business for a little less than a year. If you are serious about making this a long term (around 5 years) business, yo would do yourself well if you purchased a used TM and a used 360.

Personal message me if you have any questions.

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
I just got my 360 and I think it is great.

1. Marketing - you tell your customers if they are paying for a cleaner with a standard wand then they are paying for 40 year old technology. (im not hating on the standard wand, i still use mine sometimes) but its a great way to set yourself apart and make your clients think that you are the best and they will never go anywhere else.
2. It leaves carpets much dryer!
3. Save your back. As a start up guy you dont know how much you can do in one week. If you have 3 jobs a day for a week straight, that can leave your body aching. The rotovac will save your body.
4. Youtube rotovac 360. Look at the wonders it does with very little effort.
5. It allows you to do tile and grout as well as carpet. You dont need 2 different machines.....all i one!

The 360 is great, pretty pricey though. I picked up a used one for around $1,000. Do some craigs list searching, or ask someone on the forum here. If you are start up, probly not a good idea to spend several thousand on a new one.

Also, when it comes to the portable you are going to buy, search on craigs list also. In my area there are ALWAYS portables for sale. Make sure you have VERY strong vac, and at least 200 PSI.

But remember, if you have all of these running at once, you are going to have to plug in 3 or 4 different chords into a customers house, and you WILL i repeat YOU WILL throw breakers. This was my MAIN reason for selling my porty and buying a used TM. It is difficult to ask customer where the fuse box is becase you threw a breaker. Maybe consider working a J.O.B. for 4 months, saving ALL of your mo ney, and buying a used TM. I bought my TM in a 2001 chey astro van for around 5k. MUCH better option than a porty.

WHen i first started i thought my porty had pretty good suction, especially with the vac booster on it. When i went to try out the TM that i bought, it blew my mind how powerful the suction is. It has 10 times the suction of a porty, and 10 times the heat too! I would seriously recommend saving some moeny and buying a TM, DO NOT FINANCE ONE! buy a used one for under 10k.

I have been in this business for a little less than a year. If you are serious about making this a long term (around 5 years) business, yo would do yourself well if you purchased a used TM and a used 360.

Personal message me if you have any questions.
The problem is you don't pay just once for a TM. You keep paying every time you use it.

So you either have to charge more, or make less money per job. Neither is that great.