Starting a weight off today... I am tired of being overweight!! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Starting a weight off today... I am tired of being overweight!!

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
Here is the story, back in high school I ran competitively in cross country and track and was one of the best runners to come out of S. Dakota in 1996. My Senior year I ran a 5k in 15:15 which is ridiculously fast. I then went off to college and ran competitively for three years then threw in the towel. Ten years after that I am overweight, my bmi which used to be 5% (college) is now 22% (fat) and I can not consistently get up in the morning. When my associate called me to ask where I was this morning at 7:30 (as I was still sleeping) that was the straw that broke the camels back. My right knee also hurts and it has never hurt before.

So, today I am on a mission to lose weight. I know for a fact there are plenty of TMF'rs out there that could stand to lose a few lbs if not for your own gratitude then do it for your family. I hate the expression a Plumber's crack but if the shoe fits. Once a week I am going to post on how well I am doing or how well I am not doing. If anyone out there cares to join me then fantastic if not then in three to four months from now I am going to be a changed person body, weight and mind wise.

Today, September 13th, 2012 I weigh 190 lbs even. My goal is 165lbs to 170.

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
I would recommend a Protein shake in the morning. I use muscle milk and it is great. Combine that with cleaning carpet and a sensible dinner you should lose weight quick. Not sure if you drink a lot of soda or energy drinks but that needs to be cut out. I would say quit drinking beer but what's the point in that

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
I rarely drink beer when I am home, vacation is another story though. I drink a glass of wine every third day or so here with my wife. I drink maybe 1 Coke or Diet Coke per day. Thanks for the tip Robo!! My diet has a lot to do with me being overweight. I eat like absolute *** but I am always hungry. When I was back in college I would consume 5k plus calories and consistently weighed 165lbs (I trained with the team every day day in a day out) which I think is my body's natural weight.

Dewitt

Dec 22, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Dewitt
Business Location
United States
I feel your pain dude. I just recently said Hi to 30, and needless to say he's not all that friendly. I used to box and wrestle in my earlier days, so I can blame some of the aches and pains to abnormal abuse to my body back in the day. 5 months ago I was 230lbs, and today I'm 208lbs. I would like to get back to my high school weight, but I like the way things looked when I was 200lbs even. My plan is to drop down to 185-190lbs, then put on 10-15lbs pure muscle. Let's see how this goes........good luck bro, I'm with you on your journey!

Today is September 13, 2012 I weigh in at 208lbs but plan to get down to 185-190lbs then add 10-15lbs of muscle.

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
www.jondon.com
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
It's good to start now because as you age it does not get any easier as the metabolism slows down. I love food and beer. I just have to exercise more. I ride my bike 22 miles in the morning at 6am when I am home.

Last week in Vegas (not the ideal exercise city) Steve Toburen and I walked on average 5-6 miles the three mornings we were there. Had to wait for Starbucks to open at 430.

We will do the same thing next week at SFS in Philly.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I will join in. I almost laughed when I saw you posted a thread about losing weight Anthony because you are skinny as a stick. I need to lose as much as you weigh. I started last week (again), maybe you guys can help keep me on the right path. I was 475 on Monday and my goal is 250.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Pay for a nutritionist to help you understand food.

jrandall

Nov 23, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
Jason Randall
Business Location
United States
My diet has a lot to do with me being overweight. I eat like absolute *** but I am always hungry.
I have the same problem, and I need to eat better for my kids sake if nothing else. I will turn 39 on Monday, and I have heard of too many people under 50 having heart attacks and strokes lately. Besides the unhealthy food, I drink a lot of soda.

"Hi, my name's Jason, and I'm addicted to Coca Cola."

So, I'm in as well. I haven't weighed myself in about a week, but;

Today, September 13th, 2012 I weigh 205(ish). My goal is 175.

Dewitt

Dec 22, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Dewitt
Business Location
United States
I will join in. I almost laughed when I saw you posted a thread about losing weight Anthony because you are skinny as a stick. I need to lose as much as you weigh. I started last week (again), maybe you guys can help keep me on the right path. I was 475 on Monday and my goal is 250.
I find it difficult to lose weight the traditional way...gym, treadmill, etc. I needed to involve myself in an activity that I enjoyed doing and could burn fat in the meanwhile. I took up mma training at a local boxing gym, and low and behold started losing weight. Swimming is another place to start if you're trying to lose weight. And of course eating right. You don't have to eat healthy all the time, just be mindful of your portions.

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
Hello,

I am Ty and I am also overweight, problem is I love food, I really love food.

Reactions: ffej

jrandall

Nov 23, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
Jason Randall
Business Location
United States
Do you guys (or girls) want to set up a little "biggest loser" challenge. Accounability is key. I found a website where we could handle the data, http://www.corporatefitnessleague.com/index.cfm. There may be others as well, I just found this with a quick search and it's free. We couldn't really have any prize for ther winner, except better health, as we obviously can't have a single weigh-in location.

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
My goal is 190lbs by March!! got myself a little race to attend and better have my ass in shape or they are gonna kill me!! its been 5 years since I last raced with the big boys, should be interesting

Reactions: aspenedelen

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I think this is fantastic for all of you guys. But please do not make the mistake of getting stuck on a "weight" Just get into shape or better shape. Muscle weighs more then fat. So it is very possible for a person to lose fat, while at the same time gain muscle mass, and thus lose no "weight" but be in a heck of a lot better shape.

We all need to change our eating and drinking habits for the better, as well as exercise. I wish you all the best of luck.
Todd, I am very proud of you. Hang in there buddy and never ever give up. Do something every day, drink plenty of water, and watch what you eat. You're body will follow suit.

Anthony, I saw your 10k time and know it was a typo, but I am very curious what the time was if you wouldn't mind telling me.
I'm a runner as well, never been a fast one, but I've done a few marathons in the 4 1/2 hour range. Wanted to get it to under 4 hours but the time it takes to train for that is crazy.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
You don't even weigh 200?

How tall are you?

When I started this business I went from 215 to 175.

It was do much harder than I thought. I seriously don't know if I could have done it if it weren't for the physical work this biz is.

My old career was a lot of driving around with a clipboard and eating huge lunches or dinners with coworkers or friends at resteraunts that don't exactly cater to weight loss.

Whatever your goal is I hope you obtain it!

Same with you Todd. I wish I knew how to help other than just saying "go get em"

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

jrandall

Nov 23, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
Jason Randall
Business Location
United States
Anthony, I saw your 10k time and know it was a typo, but I am very curious what the time was if you wouldn't mind telling me..
How do you know it was a typo. Maybe he can run 73 miles per hour.:)

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I'm 5' 11". When I was on the truck every day, I stayed between 180 and 190. Since I got off the truck 30+ years ago, I slowly got up to 277. That was my weight 2 1/2 years ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes. That got my attention. I knew I needed to do something.

Insurance provided 2 sessions with a dietitian / nutritionist. Here are some of the things I learned to do.
1) Began walking. It was simple exercise. I could even walk around the office while I was on the phone. In a short time I added jogging 2 or 3 miles a day. Not a lot but regular.
2) The portion sizes I had been used to were really about double what I needed. I did not cut out any food, but I tried to eat less, eat slower and I would feel full. I did not want to be on a "diet" and feel like I could not eat something.
3) Drink a lot of water, especially before and during meals. Helps you eat less.
4) Keep healthy snacks around - peanuts, cut up carrots, sliced apples, low-fat yogurt, etc. Always had something handy and convenient when I wanted a snack. Also tried to cut down (not eliminate) snacking late in the evening.
5) Eat a good breakfast and eat something at least every 4 hours. Start with a full stomach of oatmeal or something healthy. Don't go a long time without eating or you will be famished and eat too much too fast.
6) Keep at it steady. Slow but sure. Losing a lot of weight quickly general ends up in putting it back on. You need to make small changes you can stick with the rest of your life.

This morning I hit 227. Down 50 pounds.

Hughjocapivvy

Sep 9, 2012
Real Name
Barry Meyer
Good luck with your efforts Anthony and Todd. It is important to remember when starting a diet or exercise routine to begin slowly with it. Don't pound your body into submission thinking in two weeks you are going to "arrive" at being a new slender you. Take it easy, eat small, small nutritious snacks through the day and give up on the fizzy drinks, Cokes etc.
Good luck again, it is a worthwhile pursuit you are embarking on.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
I ran my first marathon two years ago in DC, The Marine Corps Marathon and had a time of 4:03. I trained for a month and a half with my highest mileage run prior to the marathon being 15 miles and before that was ten years prior in college I ran 18 miles one day in cross country. I am 5'11" Torrey.

Rock on Todd! I am glad you are in! I like the idea about that website and I want everyone here to keep us accountable for our weight. If someone drops off the wagon then help us to get back up and keep busting tail.

I designate myself the Captain of Team TMF too!!!!