Strip floor, neutralize, dry, then burnish? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Strip floor, neutralize, dry, then burnish?

wildcoral57

Jan 16, 2020
Real Name
Lewis
Hello,

I am curious is there any benefit to burnishing a floor after you strip it of its wax?

And by the way, not with any type of wax restorer or anything, simply burnishing the dry floor? Is there any value in doing this? Should I skip this step and go directly to adding wax to the floor?

1) Strip -> Neutralize -> Add Wax -> Done?
or
2) Strip -> Neutralize -> Burnish -> Add Wax -> Done?

or neither?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No no no, burnish is after you've laid the wax down and it has cured. Burnishing helps remove the tiny air and moisture bubbles and coalesces the top layer into a more uniform finish.

The wax will have a smoother appearance and be easier to clean and maintain after burnishing.

Never do it on a dry floor.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Interesting enough with certain types of floors IE. the older sheet goods flooring from the 60’s and 70’s it’s actually beneficial to “buff” the stripped floor prior to putting the finish on. Mostly to smooth out the rough texture on it. It’ll make for ease adding the finish as well to a lesser degree give a higher shine with less finish. You can also do this with brand new vct and it’ll do the same thing. But it’s really not necessary. But if it’s ever so important to impress a customer and you have the time give it a shot. Just make sure to rinse before finishing

wildcoral57

Jan 16, 2020
Real Name
Lewis
Interesting, thank you for your input as well @floorclean. This is what I was advised to do for similar reasons, I am glad to hear you know about this as well. Though @OxiFreshGuy has a totally different perspective.

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Anytime a customer asks me to buff or burnish after a re wax I tell them it's not necessary. I do agree though after a strip if some wax remains a burnish there could smoothen out the imperfections and make for a nicer finish when complete. I understand burnishing as smoothing out thus creating a even finish allowing light to bounce giving your reflection. A good fresh wax job the wax should be smooth of most if not many imperfections. I always offer to buff a month or 2 later once they've used the floor some. I recommend new mop heads too. Oild soils can transfer and show cause the wax so fresh leaving a cloudy hazy look