Tcs Chief II sputter | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tcs Chief II sputter

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I tried to attach a video but no luck. We have a chief 2 and when it's under load runs fine (wand on the carpet). But if I unhook attachment and have open hose end it starts to sputter almost sounds like the govener is cutting in and out? We've tried new plugs/ fuel pump and filter and air filter no luck. Sound familiar to anyone?

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
Dang, I have a similar issue with the same machine. It's going back in the shop Monday for the 2nd time. The first time they said they found a pinched wire, when we got it back it was good for about a week and a half then started acting up again. It was also draining the van battery and left us needing a jump start after jobs. Intermittent problems suck.

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
You may want to check the waste tank shut off float wires/ connection. My machine (not a Chief) did the same thing in the past and that was the issue for me. Just something to look at and a easy fix. Good luck my friends.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Dang, I have a similar issue with the same machine. It's going back in the shop Monday for the 2nd time. The first time they said they found a pinched wire, when we got it back it was good for about a week and a half then started acting up again. It was also draining the van battery and left us needing a jump start after jobs. Intermittent problems suck.
Keep me posted on what you find out!

Reactions: groutguy

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
I have a TCS Chief II. I’ve experienced similar symptoms and it was the belts. The belts are the Achilles heal on these units. Quick tip: take off the belt tensioner and the metal belt shroud...will help...trust me. Also, NAPA carries these belts. Buy six at a time. Mine usually last around six months now.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I have a TCS Chief II. I’ve experienced similar symptoms and it was the belts. The belts are the Achilles heal on these units. Quick tip: take off the belt tensioner and the metal belt shroud...will help...trust me. Also, NAPA carries these belts. Buy six at a time. Mine usually last around six months now.
Are you saying run the belts with no tension pulley at all? and the metal shrouds what part of the puzzle would these play in solving the said issue? Just curious about how you reached these conclusions?

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Are you saying run the belts with no tension pulley at all? and the metal shrouds what part of the puzzle would these play in solving the said issue? Just curious about how you reached these conclusions?
When the belts get worn, and start to slip, the engine WILL have symptoms such as yours. Also, the belts are super tight without the tensioner engaged. As the belts go through multiple heat cycles, they loosen. If you try to engage the tensioner at this point you will destroy a belt...as they are weak. I don’t think the tensioners are aligned properly and aid in the degradation of the belts. Also, the black metal shroud entraps heat. When I removed both of these, my belts lasted twice as long.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
What size waste tank do you have and at what point does your vacuum relief valve pop off? 12...13...14? I’ve noticed as well that adjusting the vacuum relief to 15 inches of lift will create problems with the belts as well.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Also, just curious, what type of heating system do you have?

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers
If it's fuel injected with a return fuel line I'd check the return line all the way to the tank.
The engine kill wiring from the dump tank float was also a good suggestion.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'd try the belt replacement first.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I'd try the belt replacement first.
Just replaced belts about 100 hrs ago, I'm going to check float wires first . My curiosity comes from the fact that it only does it periodically , it's not a constant. I'll keep you guys posted and try to get a video up

Reactions: LeeRoy
Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman

The link should work keep in mind its intermittent and usually occurs after the load is taken off the machine (unhooked suction hose)

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Hmmm. I’m assuming you have a fuel tap. Have you checked the level of fuel in the van when this happens?