Tile & Grout Cleaning (Do's & Don'ts) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tile & Grout Cleaning (Do's & Don'ts)

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Hi Guys,

Getting my head wrapped around carpet cleaning has been quite mind boggling at times. I feel I know JUST the basics after one year of cleaning and researching... In this time I have not even had the slightest interest in cleaning tile, as I have had my hands full just learning about carpet cleaning.

But... now, I feel I at least want to start learning about tile & grout cleaning. Can anyone give me some quick tips on the very BASICS of tile cleaning as far as chemicals go. Tell me the major do's and don'ts. You know, like with carpet cleaning, you DONT use extremely hot water, or high PH chems.

Tell me which type of chems clean different tiled surfaces. And what type of chems may damage different types of surfaces.

I have heard to never let the cleaning product dry on the tiled surface, as it can be a royal pain in the ass to remove.

Anyway... I realize it may be way to much of a broad question, but it can't hurt to ask. I just need a starting point, and then I'll be able to research from there.

Cheers

Last edited:

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
use good grout chems so it makes the job very easy, try your best to sell grout sealing on every job

Reactions: Spooney

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
1) Inspect for loose grout and esp topical coatings.

2) Test for natural or man made if in doubt

3) Pick up Groutmaster as it cleans with out scrubbing (use brush for dog & pony show), won't harm transitions, won't stain stainless steel, won't strip cabinet toe kicks, safe on virtually all surfaces and rinses easy if you don't let it dry and will clean like there is no tomorrow. It's dummy proof. Very concentrated so only 4-6oz's per gallon. So 1 6lb jug can easily gross you 5k in sales. Lastly, it doesn't lose hardly any strength after mixing for up to a week.

Hope this helps. Tile & grout is a ton easier than carpet cleaning.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Everyone loves to talk about pressure and heat but with correct agitation, you don't really even need to steam clean.

General rule of thumb is acids for bathrooms and sink areas because of the alkali and mineral deposits.....and alkalis for most other areas.
Times may come that require citrus type agents for grease.
It's the steam cleaning that is at risk of blowing out the grout.
I like to go heavy on my scrub and easy on the rinse. Safety first.

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Edit....

You know, like with carpet cleaning, you DONT use extremely hot water, or high PH chems (ON WOOL CARPET)

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Everyone loves to talk about pressure and heat but with correct agitation, you don't really even need to steam clean.

General rule of thumb is acids for bathrooms and sink areas because of the alkali and mineral deposits.....and alkalis for most other areas.

awesome. good advice, and thanks fro the vid

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Just another angle here. This is how to clean 1k sf per hour. I pride myself in speed and quality. Commercial likes speed along with results. I should mention this job was RIGHT next door to the largest and oldest carpet cleaning company in town. They don't touch brick and refer me any brick jobs that calls in. They would not do that if we didn't deliver.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Awesome.

I have a large torch for burning weeds

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
Just another angle here. This is how to clean 1k sf per hour. I pride myself in speed and quality. Commercial likes speed along with results. I should mention this job was RIGHT next door to the largest and oldest carpet cleaning company in town. They don't touch brick and refer me any brick jobs that calls in. They would not do that if we didn't deliver.

That's interesting. Last month I got a call about some brick, looked just like that. Apparently 2 other companies had turned the job down because of it being brick. I didn't understand why so just made sure to do a test spot and ended up cleaning it my normal way. Turned out great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: aloha one

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
That's interesting. Last month I got a call about some brick, looked just like that. Apparently 2 other companies had turned the job down because of it being brick. I didn't understand why so just made sure to do a test spot and ended up cleaning it my normal way. Turned out great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yep. they give these jobs to me basically. It started by me cleaning the receptionist daughter's brick floor , she answered phones for this big company. So she just tells them to call me know. they have sent at least 5 or 6. you right. its just like tile. But you do see the occasional one with some messed up mop finish. those aren't fun. that;s prolly what scared them off.

Reactions: aloha one

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath

I'm going back in time a bit on this thread mate. I'm glad to hear that it's not all about the psi pressure. Thanks for the safety first tips too. My pumps only has 400 psi max, so hopefully I won't have any probs with displacing the grout at around 300psi or so.

I gotta orek and 175 to scrub with. But as far as the rinsing part goes, I don't have a fancy tile cleaning spinner or anything. Do you think it would rinse okay with just a wand? :wideyed: I have seen wands with rubber srubbers on em. maybe I could make a scrubber that fits on my evo.

Anyways, I'm buying some tile chems soon to practice at home on my bathroom, laundry, and one bedroom. To be honest, I only have enough cash this week to buy either an alki, or an acid tile cleaner, not both. I'm tempted to go the alki one, even though 2 areas may have alki deposits. If so, will it still clean okay on the areas that have alki deposits?

Okay, that's enough questions from me today. Thanks Mike. I like your videos. Make more! lol. I made my first on the job vid the other day. I gotta start putting together vids for the website.

Benn

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I'm going back in time a bit on this thread mate. I'm glad to hear that it's not all about the psi pressure. Thanks for the safety first tips too. My pumps only has 400 psi max, so hopefully I won't have any probs with displacing the grout at around 300psi or so.

I gotta orek and 175 to scrub with. But as far as the rinsing part goes, I don't have a fancy tile cleaning spinner or anything. Do you think it would rinse okay with just a wand? :wideyed: I have seen wands with rubber srubbers on em. maybe I could make a scrubber that fits on my evo.

Anyways, I'm buying some tile chems soon to practice at home on my bathroom, laundry, and one bedroom. To be honest, I only have enough cash this week to buy either an alki, or an acid tile cleaner, not both. I'm tempted to go the alki one, even though 2 areas may have alki deposits. If so, will it still clean okay on the areas that have alki deposits?

Okay, that's enough questions from me today. Thanks Mike. I like your videos. Make more! lol. I made my first on the job vid the other day. I gotta start putting together vids for the website.

Benn
If you have a glide for your wand yes you can use that, however be very, very careful. Without a glide on your wand your better off using a shop vac to suck it up.

This advice I'm about to give is for your testing purposes only since your $ is limited. Go to a hardware store and buy the smallest purple power degreaser or industrial degreaser that's cheap. Don't worry about acids until you can identify tile, and it's proper cleaning procedure, you can cause thousands of dollars in damage with acids.

Mix your degreaser as recommended in a pump sprayer, let it dwell for 10 mins, scrub, extract, and if necessary mop or speed dry any remaining moisture.

Reactions: Jeff Maietta

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Thanks for the info Russ, I will, I'll start out practicing with some heavy duty degreaser from the hardware house in the next few days. Will be fun.

I'll leave a link to my local carpet cleaning warehouse too if anyone would care to take a look for me. Which alkaline tile, and grout chemical should I buy to start off with? I think there is a few American products in the list. Some have solvents, some have hydrogen peroxide. I suppose I'm after one that will be the most versatile and safe for now. I like the sound of the VIPER VENOM 3.8LTR alkaline solvent.

Hit the link, and scroll down, the list of chems is beneath the big fella on the vid.

http://www.ccwonline.com.au/category268_1.htm

Last edited:

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho

Benn
If it goes to 400, I'd use that instead of 300.
As long as the wand had a Teflon glide, it could conceivably work as a topi sing tool but it might be a little messy.
Using low psi like this would mean you'd need to be a little more thorough in your pre scrubbing process.
Maybe hit it with a grout brush in the lines before you put the 175 on it.
Not sure I mentioned it previously but the 175 will need a grit brush